Y you not like Maynard?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:04 pm

You know, most of the times that I got tips in attractions was with parties who had someone in a wheelchair in their group. So if I would help them get a really good spot for parades, or if I'd be extra patient and helpful - including lifting the handicapped person, despite not having to do that - then someone in the group would usually hand me a five or ten. And for having to lift some of those heavy, sweaty bodies, that is going above and beyond so I wasn't about to share that with my fellow cm's who just stood back and let me do the work...lol! There were a few times where the handicapped person would be a little kid in bad shape and I'd let them take an extra ride without unloading them in the station or whatever and I'd get tips then too...those I'd try to turn down, because you didn't know if that kid was going to live too much longer, so what the hey - let them have a memorable day on us...

DisneyFan25863
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by DisneyFan25863 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:02 pm

BirdMom wrote:You know, most of the times that I got tips in attractions was with parties who had someone in a wheelchair in their group. So if I would help them get a really good spot for parades, or if I'd be extra patient and helpful - including lifting the handicapped person, despite not having to do that - then someone in the group would usually hand me a five or ten. And for having to lift some of those heavy, sweaty bodies, that is going above and beyond so I wasn't about to share that with my fellow cm's who just stood back and let me do the work...lol! There were a few times where the handicapped person would be a little kid in bad shape and I'd let them take an extra ride without unloading them in the station or whatever and I'd get tips then too...those I'd try to turn down, because you didn't know if that kid was going to live too much longer, so what the hey - let them have a memorable day on us...
Thats really good that you would do that. It's CM's like you who make the Disney magic :)

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:50 pm

BirdMom wrote:And for having to lift some of those heavy, sweaty bodies, that is going above and beyond so I wasn't about to share that with my fellow cm's who just stood back and let me do the work...lol!
I never helped lift people out of chairs - too worried they'd fall and sue. And management told us not to]There were a few times where the handicapped person would be a little kid in bad shape and I'd let them take an extra ride without unloading them in the station or whatever...[/quote]
That bit me in the ass, too! On Monorails, we'd feel sorry for the people who bought the round-trip ticket at the hotel, 'cause it was such a short ride, so we'd often let them go a second time (unless there was another group waiting). Management suddenly accussed the crew of stealing from the company by doing this, and gave out writtens to certain CMs! What jerks!
And on Star Tours, there were a few times when certain handicapped people could not ride (because of no upper body control or what have you). And if we weren't busy, or had an extra cabin not being used, I would let them in and hit the "flight check" button, which ran the show without the movement of the cabin. Then the guys at Imagineering shot a letter to the Park saying that "at no time were we ever to let a guest ride Star Tours by using the 'flight check'."

There are other examples, but it just seemed that whenever I tried to do something nice, I'd get yelled at.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:20 pm

Dante101 wrote: it just seemed that whenever I tried to do something nice, I'd get yelled at.
I guess at Disneyland, no good deed goes unpunished...by management.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Y you not like Maynard?

Post by BirdMom » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:40 pm

CujoSR wrote: he didn't accept because he thought we were degrading guests.
Here's another reason not to like Maynard - the above is a rather self-righteous attitude. I can think of the thousands of ways that guests degrade and disrespect cast members every day, yet that's acceptable to Maynard. Sometimes the only payback people have is being able to vent about the dumb things people do to them. I don't know about anyone else, but it's fine with me if he doesn't come here.

Come to think of it, the cast members I worked with who were the quickest to defend anal guests were usually the biggest idiots who took a week to train on an attraction that should have taken one day, but those are other stories...

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Y you not like Maynard?

Post by Dante101 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:40 pm

BirdMom wrote:
CujoSR wrote: he didn't accept because he thought we were degrading guests.
Here's another reason not to like Maynard - the above is a rather self-righteous attitude.
Thank you!
I was looking to say the same thing, but just couldn't find the right words...

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:03 am

O k, found it, sorry!!! I didn't know there was one already made. I was too lazy to look. I will look from now on.

Anyways, I like Maynard. He is hilarious. I only worked with him, just once on HISTA when the landlock was in effect. He is cool. This is in my opinion.

SweetAurora
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SweetAurora » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:29 pm

Thank you to BirdMom and to those who are looking past a lot of the sugar-coating.... 8)

Maynard belongs in Entertainment. Because's thats what he does, RIGHT? Sure, he's hilarious. Sure, he's a nice to guy to work with (for some of you that do). But for the times I have seen him display a somewhat haughty attitude backstage and up above, as BirdMom pointed out....I realized he's not all he's worshipped for..lol.
I truly believe he always needs to play a character onstage--on Fantasmic! GC, I usually see him quite bored.

I'm glad this topic was semi-continued. I wanted to make sure people knew that I and most of us are not bashing Maynard--I know I'm stating the facts of what I've seen and experienced with him, as are most of us. So please have an open mind.

~*I am youth! I am joy! I am a little chick bursting out of an egg!*~

fantasmike
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by fantasmike » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:17 pm

If you have a problem with any of the CM's, than do what I do, and just ignore them. Maynard enjoys his job, and guests love him, and to me, that is all that matters. He has never been mean to me, or gave me a reason to dis him, matter a fact, I wouldnt diss anyone. EVeryone is their own person, and for others to hate on someone just becasue he has energy, and enjoys his job i think is just wrong.

how many in your party?

"um.....1, 2, 4....we have 5, and a half!"

Aww, so you must be the half, becasue you're the moron with half a brain!

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:27 pm

I for one am glad he's not here, i can see it now... "I had a boat the other day, where EVERY least crew member nearly DIED of laughter, while i used NON-LOG speil, they should make me my own attration called Maynard's mansion cruise, where i can say anything i want, and people will luagh and love it because it' ME, BLAH BLAH BLAH,"

i should try and get one of his boats, and sit right up near the front, and stare him down the entire time, and then complain when he uses baby talk with the guests!

Gimme some soft serve!