Maynard Smith

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Maynard Smith

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:22 am

Anyone heard of him??? He is a CM with many personalities!! He works Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, and Haunted Mansion. He used to work at HISTA, but he was landlocked in Adventureland. I only worked with him once and he is hilarious!!! He would say during his speil, "No munchie-munchie, drinkie-drinkie, or smokey smokey, okie dokey???" That cracked me up!!!! He was more hilarious in the auditorium!! He would just talk, talk, and talk!!!

You search for his name on the internet and you will find fansits about him on the internet, all about him!!!

IndyBob
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Location: Former Attractions East & West: Indy, Mansion, Splash and my fav SPACE!!; and again Mansion &

Post by IndyBob » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:36 am

I use to work at mansion with him a lot. He is a great guy to work with.

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Maynard Smith

Post by Wizard69 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:37 am

DLRFantasmic!Dan wrote:You search for his name on the internet and you will find fansits about him on the internet, all about him!!!
!@#$ Maynard! He's a CM just like the rest of us. He is as special as everyone else NOT above everyone else as people seem to think. I'm sick of hearing about him.

Grumpy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:31 pm

Wizard69 wrote:!@#$ Maynard! He's a CM just like the rest of us. He is as special as everyone else NOT above everyone else as people seem to think. I'm sick of hearing about him.
I have not seen nor heard Maynard and his spiels or anything, but I have heard quite a bit of good things about him. My b/f is an AP, and he just happened to ask me if I had heard of him. He went to the Tiki Room one day, and Maynard did one of his "Maynard" spiels. My bf really like how he carried himself onstage, considering that he grew up, spending his childhood days at Disneyland. A couple weeks later, he was playing @ Disneyland again, and walked past the Tiki Room. Maynard happened to be outside, when he walked by, so Maynard greets him as "Hey, Mr. Clean!" So, he decided to go in, and watch the show. He later came to see me at whichever location I was at the time, and told me that on his way out, he would go to City Hall, and put in a good comment about Maynard. Turns out, that Maynard has so many good comments, that one of the plaids told my b/f that they might as well have an entire Maynard file, since he has soo many comments, and from what he was told, none of them are bad comments.

So, Although Maynard may not be "above the rest" of other attractions, or any other cast members, but he does seem to be a CM that really stands out, and is making it known that he is enjoying where he is, and what he's doing. I know that we all get frustrated, trust me, I do too. I'm not a CM that is ALWAYS having fun. At least some of us are better at hiding the fact that we really don't want to be there at the moment. On some days when I do go to the park to play, I notice that many attractions CMs are looking bored. I don't say anything though. I understand why they are bored. It's the same repetitive stuff over and over, right?

I am not saying Stupidity should be illegal or anything!! But lets just remove the warning labels from hazardous items and let the problem solve itself.Author Unknown

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:00 am

from what i understand, from a co-worker of maynards at jungle, many CM's don't like him because they don't feel that he fully understands the concept of show, as in we are part of the show, and create the show, but we ARE NOT the SHOW itself, and that drink drinky speil that i just read about, if i heard that on a ride, i'd probly make some sinde remark about this not being fantasyland, and wanting to be treated like the adult that i am. I've not worked with him, but he seems like many other long time CM's old and full of it/himself, granted i've not met nor worked with him, it maybe unfair to be making these assements of him, and i would also like to point out that not all long time cms are full of it/themselves, just the few that are more promaneint in it.

Gimme some soft serve!

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:41 am

Wizard69 wrote:!@#$ Maynard! He's a CM just like the rest of us. He is as special as everyone else NOT above everyone else as people seem to think. I'm sick of hearing about him.
:shock: Whoa!! What have you got against him??? I didn't say he was "above the rest of us" All I am saying, he is a pretty hilarious guy to work with. He's a little off ... but he's cool.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:06 am

My take, no you didn't ask me. Maynard contributes to the show, guests think he's great, creates a positive Disney personality, has a following & is showered with far more glory than I get. So Maynard is famous. The more management & guests pay attention to Maynard, the less attention I'm given as I make my occasional errors. Suits me just fine. :wink:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

SweetAurora
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SweetAurora » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:22 pm

GMC wrote:from what i understand, from a co-worker of maynards at jungle, many CM's don't like him because they don't feel that he fully understands the concept of show, as in we are part of the show, and create the show, but we ARE NOT the SHOW itself, and that drink drinky speil that i just read about, if i heard that on a ride, i'd probly make some sinde remark about this not being fantasyland, and wanting to be treated like the adult that i am. I've not worked with him, but he seems like many other long time CM's old and full of it/himself, granted i've not met nor worked with him, it maybe unfair to be making these assements of him, and i would also like to point out that not all long time cms are full of it/themselves, just the few that are more promaneint in it.
I kind of agree with you. When I was a teenage AP, I would love going to the Haunted Mansion and finding Maynard. I thought he did his best work there and thought he was hilarious. Then I hired in and thought it would be exciting to work alongside him.

But when the "land-lock" came, Maynard was moved to work just Adventureland. I took my greatgrandparents to see the Tiki Room and while he was VERY nice in assisting us with our wheelchair, I was a little annoyed with how he detracted from "THE SHOW" ... he became the show himself (I'm sure you understand if you've seen his Tiki Room antics). I ask everyone, out of curiousity -- do you think Walt would have found this really funny? I honestly have no idea.

I do know this for sure. I've worked there for 1 1/2 years now, and have heard from many CMS that Maynard has let the attention get to his head a little bit. I've seen it myself, even personally when I once tried to strike up a conversation with him backstage. He was a bit snooty, like he had no time to talk to me. I've seen him be this way with others, too.

Has anyone seen him on Fantasmic? Because that's where he's been lately. A LOT, since Tiki Room is down. And its very refreshing to see the "cutesy-wutesy" stuff gone, and I see him very bored. He even tried giving some of his shifts away to new hires a couple of weeks ago. I also was displeased with him on one occasion when he treated me like a dumbfounded new hire while setting up for Fantasmic! one night.

I know many people will tell us CMS that we're "jealous". Maybe some are, but I agree with GMC on the fact that all CMS should be working together, assisting the SHOW itself, and being kind to other CMS and not treating them as "LOWER THAN THOU."

~*I am youth! I am joy! I am a little chick bursting out of an egg!*~

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:05 pm

SweetAurora wrote:Has anyone seen him on Fantasmic? Because that's where he's been lately. A LOT, since Tiki Room is down. And its very refreshing to see the "cutesy-wutesy" stuff gone, and I see him very bored. He even tried giving some of his shifts away to new hires a couple of weeks ago. I also was displeased with him on one occasion when he treated me like a dumbfounded new hire while setting up for Fantasmic! one night.
I recently worked with him on Fantasmic!, I believe, was on Thursday Night. I was in a conversation with him and he seemed fine. He was not that must arrogant then people may seem.

ladyfreque
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Maynard

Post by ladyfreque » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:02 pm

I work Jungle/Tiki and I have had some interaction with Maynard. Guests love him. Hooray. But he is not particularly a "team" member. The Jungle is a place where cast members at least pretend to care about each other. Maynard seems to be outside of that. I've probably worked with him (on unload where people always talk to each other) 2-3 times, and any interaction with him has been the bare minimum. I saw him on Friday. He was working back at Mansion.