Flash Flooding- Almost Didn't Make It Home

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Flash Flooding- Almost Didn't Make It Home

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:26 pm

We have had nothing but heavy rainfall today, and now half the roads are closed in our "city" because of flooding. I have been going to school here for five years, and have never once seen it flood, it's normally the rural routes outside of town that nobody goes on.

I went to my friend's apartment tonight to work on a class project, then we went and got dinner because she hadn't eaten yet. As we were driving, I said that there were a couple of places that we wouldn't go back through, but I really wasn't worried. We were gone less than an hour, and coming back it was horrible. We were debating the best way to go, and had decided to go down a specific street only to find a police car parked in the intersection. I put on my flashers and ran to the car to ask him the best way to get to my friend's house. He had us go down that street (he was apparently doing traffic control) and there were a couple of places where it was iffy, but he told us it was okay. I dropped her off, then took O home because it is much higher than the rest of the city, I thought I would be okay.

There are two places where I guess the road dips imperceptably, and with it being so dark and raining so hard, I couldn't tell there was water on the road until I was in it! I was about to cry because I truly did not know if I would make it home. I made it- barely. I have a feeling even another ten minutes and I wouldn't have made it home! The kicker is- the Weather Channel, the radio, nothing is talking about flooding in our area. We had no idea this was even possible, I didn't think we could flood. It's not a low lying area and we aren't near any rivers or lakes. We've had heavy rainstorms before and been fine, so it caught us completely off guard. I'm still pretty shaken, it was an intense drive.

I would have stayed with my friend or gotten a hotel instead of going home, except I have several assignments due tomorrow and I have two dogs. Now that I know what it's like when this happens, I'm going to avoid going out like this ever again. I may also leave a key with my one sane neighbor so that if I ever run into a situation where I can't get home, she can check on the dogs.

I have a question: How badly does water damage the underneath of a car? Coming out of the restaurant parking lot, my car made a grinding noise when I braked. It didn't do it everytime, but I'm worried that going through some of that water may have caused damage to my car.

Petite and Proud!

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Flash Flooding- Almost Didn't Make It Home

Post by joanna71985 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Wow!! That is really scary! Glad you made it home safely.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks, right now I am trying to convince myself that a Snicker's bar will only make me feel worse.

Petite and Proud!

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:38 am

pattimelt
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by pattimelt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:25 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:I have a question: How badly does water damage the underneath of a car? Coming out of the restaurant parking lot, my car made a grinding noise when I braked. It didn't do it everytime, but I'm worried that going through some of that water may have caused damage to my car.

You're not going to have a problem with the water unless it got into your spark plugs, and that doesn't happen often.

The grinding sound you heard was a case of wet brake pads, and you won't hear that again once they dry out.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:24 am

I drive my Jeep through water all of the time. The biggest concerns are getting water in transmission, differentials and of course, the engine. If it got in the engine, you'd have known :)

Like Patti said, it was most likely your brakes that got wet, if it keeps happening I'd have them looked at. How deep was the water?

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:35 am

The noise you heard was probably the brakes. Once they dry out they'll be okay.

My concern with newer cars is getting water into the air intake for the engine. Some cars have them low in the front of the car so there's a ram effect to improve power.

We had a flood when I lived on the Mainland. The other end of our block was under about two feet of water. A woman drove by in a 7 Series BMW. We told her no to go but she HAD to get to work. Twenty minutes she waded back.

Expensive cars are not a good indicator of intelligence.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

dancinghomer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dancinghomer » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:58 am

hobie16 wrote: We had a flood when I lived on the Mainland. The other end of our block was under about two feet of water. A woman drove by in a 7 Series BMW. We told her no to go but she HAD to get to work. Twenty minutes she waded back.
Oh man Hobie, you just got a real stupid song from the National Weather Service stuck in my head with this. So I figured I'll share it with you guys, it'll give you guys a laugh...especially a few of the lines toward the end of the song.

Turn Around, Don't Drown song

Links to their info page.

Light travels faster than sound. Perhaps that is why people appear bright until they open their mouth.

pattimelt
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by pattimelt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 am

dancinghomer wrote:
Turn Around, Don't Drown song
I don't believe I actually just wasted 3 minutes of my life listening to the absolute WORST song ever written.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:49 am

pattimelt wrote:I don't believe I actually just wasted 3 minutes of my life listening to the absolute WORST song ever written.
Thanks for your review! I didn't listen. :D:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.