Back Wheels First (Warning, long post!)

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Back Wheels First (Warning, long post!)

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:08 am

I believe they are required to use the ramp but it seems some Friendship CMs are to lazy to do so and unlike at The Land where there are managers and coordinators around the only CMs on the docks usually are the ones operating the boat so nobody is there to make sure they load the handicapped correctly and to discipline them if they don't.

The Friendships are free-floating vessels and the handicapped should never be loaded without the ramp due to the gap, the height difference, and the fact the boat may move up and down. At The Land the boats are on a belt which prevents the boat from moving at all and is an enclosed waterway while the Friendships are on rivers and canals where there may be wake from other boats and where the water level changes. The ramp compensates for any movement of the boat and for any gaps or height differences.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

reendan
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by reendan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Shorty,
Yeah I was dumbfounded! I did report her. I also plan to contact someone I have dealt with in the past regarding disability issues upon my return home. This morning when leaving the Swan for the Studios we had an AWESOME CM (going to talk to GR about him as well, he was wonderful) who never even asked......he just smiled, said good morning and put the ramp out automatically. He did the same thing when we got to the Studios. So I gave him a CM thank you card that I make and take with me to give to great CMs and I told him about that gal. He described her and said was that the one? I said yes and he said oh I know all about her, she does things like that all the time. Thank you for telling me. I have a feeling he is going to say something as well.

reendan
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by reendan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:34 pm

CMGuy,
Yeah I was shocked. I was on the land boat ride the other day and they put the ramp out for me to walk onto the boat. So they are super safety conscious there. I was just dumbfounded that with a free floating vessel like that they would even think about not using a ramp. The man who was so kind to me this morning told me that they are supposed to do it EVERY time there is an ECV or wheelchair no questions asked, it is supposed to be automatic and a guest should never even have to ask. He also said if a guest has to ask they should never be talked to the way I was spoken to. He said that what she did was a HUGE no-no. It does seem like a pretty prevalent attitude among Friendship CMs. There have been 4 so far who have been pleasant, the rest not so much (and I have been on a lot of boats this past 8 days). We'll be headed to Epcot tomorrow for our last day before leaving for home.....will be interesting to see who we get on our boat.