Rude guests and their cell phones...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
SWTexasBelle
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Rude guests and their cell phones...

Post by SWTexasBelle » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Sioban wrote:One of my friends is a teacher and he does that to his students. He tells them that if he can't talk on his cell in class, neither can then.

On a way more macabre note, I wonder if they have ever done that and it was the guest being notified of some emergency. That would not be a good thing.
Then again, it could be great news, like someone having a baby, and then the whole restaurant gets to yell Congrats :)
My last birthday trip to WDW I got a call - from my brother, who informed me
that after years of infertility, he and his wife would be welcoming a little one in October! I would have LOVED to share that fabulous news with everyone!

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:35 am

Out here in CA, they passed a law that you could only have a hands free cell phone device. I think there should be a law and if security catches a SG on the phone, they should get a warning.

Take the phones away and give them pagers. :twisted:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:21 am

turkeyham wrote:Out here in CA, they passed a law that you could only have a hands free cell phone device. I think there should be a law and if security catches a SG on the phone, they should get a warning.

Take the phones away and give them pagers. :twisted:
The hands free requirement is only for use in cars while driving, not elsewhere, and they forgot to include text messaging, so you cannot drive with a cell phone to your ear, but you can drive and text!

(under 18 cannot even use hands free devices while driving)

makes sense huh?

(they are trying to fix it!)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

dancinghomer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dancinghomer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:24 pm

CNN ran a segment today about people on their cell phones and about being courteous on them. Here it is with a very amusing part at the end of the clip around 4:45.

Light travels faster than sound. Perhaps that is why people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:23 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:The hands free requirement is only for use in cars while driving, not elsewhere, and they forgot to include text messaging, so you cannot drive with a cell phone to your ear, but you can drive and text!
It's sort of a moot point anyway because research has shown that hands-free devices are just as distracting to drivers as talking on a handset. As long as they can have cell conversations in a car, the accident rate will be pretty much the same.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Oh, and for those who hate people who say "Research shows..." without anything to back it up, here ya go:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/24247

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0 ... iving.html

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:47 pm

Syndrome wrote:It's sort of a moot point anyway because research has shown that hands-free devices are just as distracting to drivers as talking on a handset. As long as they can have cell conversations in a car, the accident rate will be pretty much the same.
At least they'll have two hands available for the wheel with hands-free units. Whether they use them is another story.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:27 pm

Did I tell you guys about the time in 05 that I was spending a fortune for my very first spa day at the GF and some SG insisted on talking on her phone in the waiting area as long as her nails took to dry?

I was so mad. I spent more than 250.00 for a 45 minute massage- I just wanted some damn peace and quiet. Maybe this is why I'm so touchy about it in the parks now, they didn't even make her turn it off at the Spa.

I honestly haven't gone back because I figured why? Massage was great, but the other people there not so much. Unless they've made it a rule between then and now anybody know if the GF spa is a no-cell zone yet?

Bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:36 pm

Syndrome wrote:It's sort of a moot point anyway because research has shown that hands-free devices are just as distracting to drivers as talking on a handset. As long as they can have cell conversations in a car, the accident rate will be pretty much the same.
I don't really think its a moo point, thats right moo!

The problem is that people will take advantage of the "loophole" and text while driving.

I don't need any research to tell me it's distracting, Our company had radios in the company cars way before the advent of cell phones and it is very distracting to concentrate on driving while trying to hold a conversation, then along comes cell phones.

Thats why I started carrying mine with it on silent, or vibrate if I was expecting an important call.

On vacation I usually never turn it on, I wait until we are stopping for some water, etc. and check messages! And usually AWAY from others so that I or DW can get messages, and return calls if necessary!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

TalkingHands
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TalkingHands » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Today, I had a guest in the front row who, about three quarters through the safari, made or took a call. He made it clear that I was interrupting, and it sounded important, so I let him do his thing. Finally, his daughter started getting really embarrassed and started quietly screaming at him. Sorry, but he was messing up my spiels. Several things that I say start out similarly to another part of the spiel, and at times I was getting tripped up. I don't know why, but I can tune out the radio unless I hear my truck number, but when it's a guest in the front row... it just doesn't work for me.
Spiel, what spiel? You guys really have a spiel? Just joking. I really can't understand the spiel so just watch which way you are pointing and look that way to see the animals.

:pooh: [font=Lucida Console]Lisbet[/font]