Stupid Fw., Fw. Fw., Fw emails

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Stupid Fw., Fw. Fw., Fw emails

Post by vixen101485 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:55 pm

OK...I need to rant because Donnie's dad drives me up a FREAKIN' WALL with those STUPID, STUPID STUPID, email forwards. :mad: :mad: :mad:

SIGH....I dont know how many times I have told the guy that before he sends a forward on to someone, please check the facts on stuff. SNOPES is your friend. :rolleyes:
We usually get the ridiculous chain ones .....Pray for 10 ppl and send this email on to 20 more and God will bless you...I really dont think God cares whether we email stuff or not. :confused: Another fave :rolleyes: *insert sarcasm* are the hundreds of pictures of funny cars or redneck toilets (all in one email mind you) :eek:

This time it was that outrageous one about Mr. Rogers (as in Trolley, neighborhood, etc.) and Capt. Kangaroo (remember Mr. Green Jeans?) being hardened decorated war veterns and killing machines. I have seen this one in many forms.
SIGH AGAIN...ok, of anyone of the million ppl he forwarded it to, he should have known better then to chose me(well me and Donnie) to send it to.
You are talking to a native Pittsburgher and someone who has seen the esteemed Mr. R in person. Unless he used some really good cover up I dont think he had all the tatoos on his arms that the email claimed he did...LOL Apparently that is why he wore a sweater. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the fact that when they are sent to us the darn address part usually takes up more of the page then the actual email itself. Yeah, I love having ppl I have never heard of having my email addy (and name) I guess it will come in handy if I ever want to email their church pastor since I now have his too. :rolleyes:

I feel better now. Thank you for listening.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Stupid Fw., Fw. Fw., Fw emails

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:32 pm

I am right there with you. I have been known in the past to hit "Reply All" and include an explanation complete with Snopes link as to why the information in the email is an urban legend. I did this just the other day for that stupid "Triangles of Life" e-mail. I sent a Reply All explaining why the "rescue guru" who came up with it is a hack and fraud who ripped off the September 11 fund (being investigated for that) and why the information is more likely to kill you than help you.

Petite and Proud!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:37 pm

Did he ever send you the URL for Bumper Dumper? http://bumperdumper.com/

That's interesting about Mr. R and the Captain. Did you know Julia Childs was a member of the Office of Strategic Services (forerunner of the CIA) during WW II?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:09 am

I think you need to make friends with a government agency--forget which one has oversight of electronic messages, maybe the FCC--and send them to their reporting site. Doesn't your email carrier have a block sender option? Whenever I see a junk email with a name or subject line that makes me suspicious, I hit the "report phishing scam" button in Hotmail.

My former pastor's wife has sent me chain-letter type emails about things she considers to be important--most recent was supposedly an atheist was trying to have the words "under God" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance, and the words "In God we trust" removed from our money. I passed it on to some friends, who told me that the atheist can't do what he's supposedly trying to do, and said that Snopes showed it to be a hoax. I think when I send my semiannual letter out, I will make sure to let her know to look before she leaps.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:36 am

felinefan wrote:I think you need to make friends with a government agency--forget which one has oversight of electronic messages, maybe the FCC--and send them to their reporting site. Doesn't your email carrier have a block sender option? Whenever I see a junk email with a name or subject line that makes me suspicious, I hit the "report phishing scam" button in Hotmail.
Please, open the email and MAKE SURE it is spam before you hit that button. I manage a team that deals with security (system intrusion, DoS attacks, etc.) and spam complaints. People hit that "report spam/scam" button ALL THE TIME for stuff that is not spam/scams. You would be surprised on how many complaints we get that are order confirmations, and on at least one occasion, the email (stupidly) had the customers credit card number in it.

As far as forwards, I reply all (usually the sender fails in the use of BCC) and I point to snopes and usually some commentary that makes the sender feel stupid, but not a direct attack. Like the Microsoft/Disney forwards (you get $1 million/free trip to WDW), I point out that there is no way that M$ or Disney can track your email if it does not go through their systems. Just not technically possible. Eventually I get removed from the forward list ;)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:12 pm

hobie16 wrote:Did he ever send you the URL for Bumper Dumper? http://bumperdumper.com/

That's interesting about Mr. R and the Captain. Did you know Julia Childs was a member of the Office of Strategic Services (forerunner of the CIA) during WW II?
GOOD LORD, DONT GIVE HIM ANY IDEAS...ROTFLMAO

Well, she is/was kinda buff. LOL
felinefan wrote:I think you need to make friends with a government agency--forget which one has oversight of electronic messages, maybe the FCC--and send them to their reporting site. Doesn't your email carrier have a block sender option? Whenever I see a junk email with a name or subject line that makes me suspicious, I hit the "report phishing scam" button in Hotmail.
While those are intriguing thots, I really dont think it is a good idea in my case. The man is my other half's dad so not really a nice thing to do to report him to the FCC just for being a pain in the butt, not to mention blocking him could be a problem when he does send important info to us.

I usually deal with the problem of actual junk mail by simply deleting it. I dont open attachments or emails on any address I dont recognize. Much simpler then going thru the hassle of reporting unless they are re-occuring.
ktulu wrote: As far as forwards, I reply all (usually the sender fails in the use of BCC) and I point to snopes and usually some commentary that makes the sender feel stupid, but not a direct attack. Like the Microsoft/Disney forwards (you get $1 million/free trip to WDW), I point out that there is no way that M$ or Disney can track your email if it does not go through their systems. Just not technically possible. Eventually I get removed from the forward list ;)
I have seen that kind of stuff suggested before. I am going to have Donnie call his dad and ask him please dont forward unless it is life and death. I dont mind an occasional fun one but yeesh at least 2 daily is annoying. IF that fails I may start just send mulitples of what he sent back to him ...HEHEHE

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:08 am

This is just the reason my mom's side of the family doesn't have my email address... my correct one that is :twisted:

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:48 am

bpgstudios wrote:This is just the reason my mom's side of the family doesn't have my email address... my correct one that is :twisted:
One of the reasons why I run my own mail server, I can block them with custom error messages :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 pm

I have some friends who do this and it drives me nuts. I don't mind friends who are discriminating and only do exceptional forwards that they know I will laugh my butt off. But too many send the stupid stuff and the urban legends and whatnot. My policy is to ALWAYS do a reply-all with a Snopes link. That has stopped some of them, but one actually had the gall to respond recently: "What makes you think Snopes is right?" Uh, probably because they provide an explanation with facts and verifiable references.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 pm

I didn't mean report your FIL to the FCC, I meant the junk spam that keeps coming. Sorry about the miscommunication. This is the first time in a week and a half I've been able to see clearly with both eyes; up until this morning, I had a very hazy view of the world with one eye swollen near shut with shingles, and the other was working its poor little optic nerve to death trying to keep up. As the eyes go, so does the brain....