Question for all you PPP's (Purple Pants People)

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Question for all you PPP's (Purple Pants People)

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:03 am

First question: When are you planning to do this? If it's soon then call Casting. But if it's two years down the road, wait. If they actually manage to implement the MSiMs, then I have no doubt at this point that they'll outsource the buses.

On a scale from 1 - 10, how important is customer (guest) interaction to you?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:22 am

Big Wallaby wrote:First question: When are you planning to do this? If it's soon then call Casting. But if it's two years down the road, wait. If they actually manage to implement the MSiMs, then I have no doubt at this point that they'll outsource the buses.

On a scale from 1 - 10, how important is customer (guest) interaction to you?
I was originally thinking about two years down the road, but, recent events (not just weather) has me thinking that sooner might be better.

Interesting observation though...why do you think it would be to Disney's advantage to outsource the transportation segment? What do you think that will mean to the current drivers? What's the likelihood that the MSiMs will ever be fully implemented?

I don't know if I can set it on a scale at this time. I have always interacted with my riders but usually just one on one. I've been told that I have a quick sense of humor and good timing but I fear that I would freeze up when a mike is introduced. I think it's a 10 if I can do it well, but, closer to a 5 if I can't.

About three years ago I went to Casting, told them I wanted to make some inquiries about possibly being a Disney Bus Driver. I waited in the waiting "hall" for about an hour and a half. When I did get to talk to someone it was standing along side the reception desk and the person didn't seem the least bit interested in talking to me. All they would say is, put in an application and we might be calling you. At that point, I had wasted enough of my vacation time and, due to the vibs, just didn't pursue it any further. Now the time is closer to my decision, I am again interested but am a little gun shy about approaching casting again, cold!

As you can see from my signature area, I will be down there in a little over two months. I may approach casting again when I am there, but, am not looking forward to the same response that I got the last time.

:goofy: :goofy:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:28 am

Kwahati wrote:Shorty: you're a computer guy too... did you see PPP and think "printer parallel port" like I did?
Do those still exist? I thought immediately of Point-to-Point Protocol.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:36 am

hobie16 wrote:Do those still exist? I thought immediately of Point-to-Point Protocol.
PPP? thats purple pants people pointing at each other.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:42 am

hobie16 wrote:Do those still exist? I thought immediately of Point-to-Point Protocol.
The only ones I have seen are some REALLY old pc's that we seized. And even then they had USB printers.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:10 pm

Goofyernmost:

To drive a bus for Disney you must have a FL CDL license (a FL only won't work here). If you have a regular FL license, you can be hired on and Disney will train and test you. (they do this even if you have a CDL, only core is a little shorter. That way they have assured themselves that everyone got the same training, even if the new driver sucks) So if you don't live here yet, you will be wasting your time right now.

If you don't have one, then Disney won't hire you as a bus driver. I don't know what the requirements are for an attractions host that drives. (BW is the new driving attractions host)

Wallaby, Do you know if you need a CDL for KSR? You are carrying more than 16 pax and I believe those safari trucks are over 26,000 GVW.

There is always going to be a bus driver shortage. With the quality of drivers that are being hired now, most won't last long.

I still like the job, but, not the BS. Until I'm made to stop, I'm still spieling, I'm just carefully picking my spots to do this and I'm not interfering with MiMs.

When you are ready to make the move and If still interested AND I still work there, I'll do the casting scout for you. That should help you get in.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:23 pm

Even though they think MiMs is going forward, I'm seeing it working for a couple of months at best (well implimented, not working) They will run it long enough to say it worked and that guest feedback said remove it.

The only people being fooled that this will work as advertised will be management. That's a shame, The system could be implimented to work, still allow drivers who wish to interact with the guests to do so, spiel park attractions and provide the CAD system that can make the system more efficient.

What you can't do is buy the outdated system then downgrade the CPU's and RAM, fire the company that made the system and who was assisting you in it's rollout, write your own code that is not formatted for the cpu's and put the cpu's in a bad enviorment and expect them to work. Under the dashboard of an RTS or Nova with no air circulation and poorly installed is not condusive to a reliable working enviorment. Don't they know why data centers are air conditioned?

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:46 pm

Cranbiz wrote:Goofyernmost:

To drive a bus for Disney you must have a FL CDL license (a FL only won't work here). If you have a regular FL license, you can be hired on and Disney will train and test you. (they do this even if you have a CDL, only core is a little shorter. That way they have assured themselves that everyone got the same training, even if the new driver sucks) So if you don't live here yet, you will be wasting your time right now.

If you don't have one, then Disney won't hire you as a bus driver. I don't know what the requirements are for an attractions host that drives. (BW is the new driving attractions host)

Wallaby, Do you know if you need a CDL for KSR? You are carrying more than 16 pax and I believe those safari trucks are over 26,000 GVW.

There is always going to be a bus driver shortage. With the quality of drivers that are being hired now, most won't last long.

I still like the job, but, not the BS. Until I'm made to stop, I'm still spieling, I'm just carefully picking my spots to do this and I'm not interfering with MiMs.

When you are ready to make the move and If still interested AND I still work there, I'll do the casting scout for you. That should help you get in.
Thanks Cranbiz, I appreciate your offer help with the contacts. I am going to make my decision shortly after Christmas and if it is a go I will let you know. I am assuming that, like in Vermont, a CDL license is automatically transfered, that would certainly be helpful.

Thanks again...I guess the ball is my court. :) :bus:

:goofy: :goofy:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Kwahati wrote:Ouch. I'm showing my age while you're showing your advanced knowledge level! :D:
Oh, I'm not young by any stretch of the imagination, well to some I might be. I still am using a parallel port for my printer at home, but it's been so long since I plugged it in I don't even think about it. Plus the move to USB for everything.

Oh, that I do work for a NSP (Network Service Provider to those not in the industry, like an ISP, but no real end users...)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Hey folks, I enjoy a good swerve off topic myself sometimes but this is a serious question. I'm trying to decide what direction the limited time I have should go. Frankly, computers are not one of them. Great tools but they have robbed to much of humanity.
Sorry, SGT is not known for staying on topic, just roll with us ;)

I'd look into any thing involving driving then. If you just want to drive with little guest interaction, buses would probably work best. If you want to interact, then Safari would be the way to go. I'm not sure how much more it'll be around, but you could also check out the tram tour at the Studio's.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."