SGs at ToT

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

SGs at ToT

Post by Syndrome » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:06 pm

We rode ToT seven or eight times this morning/afternoon, and as it got later the SGs came out in droves. Worst were the idiots behind us who started up with flash photos the moments the doors closed; then dad and son in the front row thought it was the height of cleverness and hilarity to stand up and flip the bird for the photo. One of the flashers was standing next to me while waiting to board...a hefty mama in a tank top who nearly bowled me over every time she moved her arm due to the cloud of BO that issued forth.

The other SGs weren't as bad, but what's with the obsession of lighting up the cell phones every time they're in the dark? Isn't darkness supposed to be part of the ride's coolness?

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

stefunierocks
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: SGs at ToT

Post by stefunierocks » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:09 pm

i confess to posing for the camera on TOT. Never anything profane though. Usually reading a map. or telling my friend a secret. or Jazz hands is classic

People dont know how to enjoy stuff anymore. I see the dad with the family at Wishes, setting up his tripod, and then not even 'watching' the show. Just taking picture after picture of the fireworks. When pictures of his adorable daughters face enjoying the fireworks, would be much more priceless.

Same thing with people on rides. So concerned with getting a pic of the view from on TOT (which is never a good picture, you can find better online) that they forget theyre riding a ride. grr

ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ectomstr » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:25 pm

I hate people like that. those that ruin it for others. a few months back we were in the process of buying my mom a gift for her birthday and decided to ride JII. well, the three people behind us were loud, rude and just laughed and talked through the entire ride. I kept looking back at them and they obviously never took the hint. some people are just out to ruin everyone's ride i guess.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:03 am

I, too, enjoy posing for that camera, asleep or reading a map or doing something funny. They don't take to the map reading so well at RR. Oh, well.

But I do it in such way that I don't ruin it for the person next to me or anywhere else on the ride. Now, I would do a picture with my camera up to my face taking a picture if I thought it would be funny. If I could figure out a way to fasten my tripod to the floor of the car I would (with proper permission, of course).

But really, trying to take a picture of the view from ToT? Please.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:47 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I, too, enjoy posing for that camera, asleep or reading a map or doing something funny. They don't take to the map reading so well at RR. Oh, well.

But I do it in such way that I don't ruin it for the person next to me or anywhere else on the ride. Now, I would do a picture with my camera up to my face taking a picture if I thought it would be funny. If I could figure out a way to fasten my tripod to the floor of the car I would (with proper permission, of course).

But really, trying to take a picture of the view from ToT? Please.
I agree that doing anything that will disturb anyone not of your immediate party (they would not be afraid to let you know if they are disturbed by your actions, but stangers may not) is not good. Never a flash! But I have given lots of thought to photography from ride vehicles. First I would have a neck strap long enough to pass behind your neck, under an arm and still give you enough play to allow for easy use. Second I would use a wide angle setting so that some hand and vehicle motion and vibration won't be so apparent. Coupled with as fast a shutter speed as I could get would work. Last to stabilize the camera to the vehicle I would use a monopod or possibly a tripod with the legs collapsed to as close as possible to a single column. Then placing this column on the floor with my feet on either side to hold it steady in one place. Twisting a monopod or leaving the pan adjustment loose on a tripod would allow you to twist the camera left and right and up/down movement would be accomplished by tilting the camera (and pod) forward and back towards you or side to side (depending on which direction you are aiming the camera. Also by using a wide angle lens setting I could aim the camera in the general direction and not have to be so precise in aiming. It doesn't take much practice to be able to "shoot from the hip" by aiming without looking at or through the camera. Actually this practice makes the photography much less disturbing to others as if you are not obviously aiming they are normally not aware you are taking photos at all. I can always crop the photo down later. Especially on the more energetic vehicles, never hold the camera to your face to aim. I learned that a few decades ago when I first tried to video tape some of the WDW coasters. It's very easy to give yourself a black eye with the viewfinder cup (even tho it is soft padded rubber) when the vehicle takes a sharp bounce.

Randy (only a little over a week and a half from taking more of these photos at WDW!!) :D:

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:49 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I, too, enjoy posing for that camera, asleep or reading a map or doing something funny. They don't take to the map reading so well at RR. Oh, well.
Last time I was there, I caused them to delay our train by getting out my map a little too early so CM's had to come tell me I was being an SG (in a very surprisingly nice way). I felt very bad, although I don't think anyone knew it was me except my party. :( I do love posing, though. We have a pic from splash mountain with me and my best friend looking totally bored, checking our watches (and we're all dressed up as we had just come from Vicky & Al's) and my cousins have one from Cali Screamin' with one of them "asleep" one checking his watch, and me, in back reading the LA Times! These same cousins also have one of them "puking" bright orange (cheetos) into their laps (I think that's from Space Mountain in DL...is there a camera in there now?) They're pretty good guests, so I'm fairly certain they were careful to not leave an orange cheesey mess for CM's or other guests...

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 am

I think I'm gonna have to try a pose next time we ride (something that doesn't bug anyone around him). RnR would be a bit too challenging for something good, but ToT has LOTS of potential.

We also had a kid who was mightily offended by the CM at the library. The minute the doors opened, SG-kid and sibling RAN to the door at the other end of the room. The CM admonished them twice not to run and said, "Don't spoil it for everyone else." Then, during the video, another kid was talking loudly and constantly, and the CM (who had slipped to the back by the original SGs) did a loud SHHHHHHHHHH, which thankfully brought silence. The original SGs must have been doing something, too, because he asked them to move away from the wall and the painting. As they left the room, the one kid said loudly, "He was a real jerk!" Uh, I think you're labelling the wrong person, kiddo.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:58 am

These same cousins also have one of them "puking" bright orange (cheetos) into their laps (I think that's from Space Mountain in DL...is there a camera in there now?) They're pretty good guests, so I'm fairly certain they were careful to not leave an orange cheesey mess for CM's or other guests...
We were there yesterday, they still have a camera, and there were guests right in front of us in the picture reading their map!
I will now worry about being pelted with chewed-up Cheetos as we complete our ride... :eek: Thanks for telling everyone! :rolleyes:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:55 am

DisneyMom wrote:We were there yesterday, they still have a camera, and there were guests right in front of us in the picture reading their map!
I will now worry about being pelted with chewed-up Cheetos as we complete our ride... :eek: Thanks for telling everyone! :rolleyes:
See, the really elaborate poses aren't any fun (or respectful) unless you have a whole car (or log or ride vehicle) to yourself (who buys the pics with other parties in them too anyway?). And I'm pretty sure they picked Space Mountain for the cheeto's gag because it doesn't go fast enough to risk making a mess or getting any on other guests. It's all about making fun for yourself without causing grief for others (hence my shame about the map on RnR causing a delay...)

Speaking of not buying pictures with other people in them: there was one time, several years ago, we wanted to get a pic of all the grandkids (my sister, myself, and our two cousins) on Splash for our (now late) grandmother. We asked for a log to ourselves to accommodate this, but the CM's said they couldn't do it (the line was too long). We ended up being put into the front of a log with one other guy, who we didn't know, sitting in the very back. We went to check the picture to see if it looked any good even though we would never buy a picture with someone else who we don't know in it...Amazingly, the guy disappeared! I swear to you, we don't know to this day if he ducked down or went invisible or what, but he is not at all in the picture! One of my cousins adopted that picture after my grandma's death, and we still laugh about the disappearing guy! :p:

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:26 am

Kwahati wrote:See, the really elaborate poses aren't any fun (or respectful) unless you have a whole car (or log or ride vehicle) to yourself (who buys the pics with other parties in them too anyway?). And I'm pretty sure they picked Space Mountain for the cheeto's gag because it doesn't go fast enough to risk making a mess or getting any on other guests. It's all about making fun for yourself without causing grief for others (hence my shame about the map on RnR causing a delay...)
I hope you know that I was just teasing you,Kwahati! :o:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: