Feeding Birds, Ducks, etc

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Feeding Birds, Ducks, etc

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:46 am

Syndrome wrote:I have a flashback.
Hey, look at that! Syndrome has a PTSD. Of course, I don't blame you. At the Melbourne Zoo, they have a new fence in the last several years because there was a sidewalk where, if you were walking by and had fries or other food, you would suddenly see a giraffe head swoop down and your fries were gone. That twelve-inch tongue is great for reaching into fry buckets.

I could be citing the wrong zoo.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Belgarion42
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Belgarion42 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:30 pm

leftcoaster wrote:This past weekend, we went to a small local zoo. Near the entrance, there was a place to eat, with a sitting area. Stretched across the open area, spaced about 6 inches apart, was fishing line. The idea is that the area is not sheltered, but it is protected from the birds swooping down and snatching food from the patrons. It wouldn't hurt the birds, and the people eating are much happier.
There are several places at SW where they do that (or something like it), but there are other places where they can't, or where they do but the birds find a way around it.

I've taken a swing at a few of them with my camera bag, but it only helps for a minute. :hammer: I'd like to swing a few other things at them (preferably large & sharp!).

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Hey, look at that! Syndrome has a PTSD.

An opportunity to recite a poem from childhood.....

Little Birdie in the Sky
Dropped some Whitewash in my eye
I didn't bawl, I didn't cry,
I'm sure glad Elephants
Don't Fly!
:D:

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Syndrome wrote: SGs were feeding the seagulls. Thank goodness they were farther down the beach, as their area was quickly mobbed like a scene out of Nemo. I'm sure the people sitting around them loved being dive-bombed by agressive feathered poop machines.
The solution for this is Alka Seltzer!

Instead of seagull poop you get seagull pieces! :D:

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:24 pm

leftcoaster wrote:This past weekend, we went to a small local zoo. Near the entrance, there was a place to eat, with a sitting area. Stretched across the open area, spaced about 6 inches apart, was fishing line. The idea is that the area is not sheltered, but it is protected from the birds swooping down and snatching food from the patrons. It wouldn't hurt the birds, and the people eating are much happier.
They do that in WDW too. At Casey's and the outdoor patio at Pecos Bills I have seen these anti-bird threads. But the birds have gotten smart. They land outside the patio and hop/walk in. And at the snack carts around the property there is no aerial protection. So if you buy a hotdog or popcorn at a cart there are times when you will have to agressively protect your snack. And if the person holding the food is a child, the birds know that the defence is much less of a problem and so it sometimes looks like a recreation of "The Birds".

Randy

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:04 am

DisneyMom wrote:An opportunity to recite a poem from childhood.....

Little Birdie in the Sky
Dropped some Whitewash in my eye
I didn't bawl, I didn't cry,
I'm sure glad Elephants
Don't Fly!
:D:
I always heard it as:

Birdie, birdie in the sky
why'd you do that in my eye
I won't hurt you or make you cry
I'm just glad that cows don't fly.

The rhyming is much better

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:22 am

Cheshire Figment wrote:I always heard it as:

Birdie, birdie in the sky
why'd you do that in my eye
I won't hurt you or make you cry
I'm just glad that cows don't fly.

The rhyming is much better
No Argument ,I'll have to PM you with my Mommy's email, she is the one who taught me....also, I am thinking her version is Pre-Dumbo.....

SirWillow
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SirWillow » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:58 pm

It's hard to enforce a rule that the original commander in chief used to flagrantly break all the time. There are several stories out there of Walt getting a box of popcorn from one of the vendors then taking it out and tossing it to the birds.

Y'know, that's one of those things that I don't remember coming up in any of our meetings either. Maybe I should bring it up one time just to see how much of a troublemaker they think I am. :D

What do you mean you won't smile for the camera?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:32 pm

SirWillow wrote:It's hard to enforce a rule that the original commander in chief used to flagrantly break all the time. There are several stories out there of Walt getting a box of popcorn from one of the vendors then taking it out and tossing it to the birds....
Makes sense. I'd always heard that "Feed the Birds" was one of Walt's favorite, if not the favorite, of all the Disney songs. That factoid sticks out in my mind because it was one of the few things about him I couldn't relate to. I mean, it's not a bad song, but I've got several others just in that film alone that I like more. :confused: :)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

LaMole
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by LaMole » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:48 pm

PapaMouse wrote:BTW I wanted to add. IMO a guest like you that has nothing better to do then try and ruin someone else's enjoyment, maybe you should stay home. They were feeding the birds. Not like they were trying to cut in line, get their child that's too short onto a ride, or anything else that' son this site that are actualy worth reporting to a CM.
Why dont YOU stay home since you seem like the type of person that should not be allowed in WDW. Just because we choose to eat such unhealthy foods does not make it right to be given to animals. If you haven't seen any signs at WDW that say don't feed the animals maybe you ought to go back to school and learn how to read, because they are posted. It's just rule breakers like yourself that want to get away with as much as you can! You choose to ignore the signs. And if this would have ruined his vacation then it should have since he was clearly breaking the rules.