SGT - now with more encryption!

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: SGT - now with more encryption!

Post by WEDFan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 am

hobie16 wrote:Politics aside, it looks like ISPs are going to be able to harvest browsing destinations and use it for marketing purposes. An alternative to a VPN is the TOR browser but it's pretty slow. It may boil down to speed vs. privacy.
ktulu wrote:Which already happens when you visit the vast majority of websites. Heck, even SGT has cookies for things!
I would point out that ISP's are different from websites in several important ways. First, we pay them to connect us to the internet as opposed to sites that are funded through advertising and sales. Second, they often enjoy a de facto monopoly when it comes to high speed internet in a given area. If you want high speed internet, you will probably have trouble protesting their practices by going somewhere else. Finally, they are the only internet entity that can collect your entire history.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am

WEDFan wrote:
hobie16 wrote:Politics aside, it looks like ISPs are going to be able to harvest browsing destinations and use it for marketing purposes. An alternative to a VPN is the TOR browser but it's pretty slow. It may boil down to speed vs. privacy.
ktulu wrote:Which already happens when you visit the vast majority of websites. Heck, even SGT has cookies for things!
I would point out that ISP's are different from websites in several important ways. First, we pay them to connect us to the internet as opposed to sites that are funded through advertising and sales. Second, they often enjoy a de facto monopoly when it comes to high speed internet in a given area. If you want high speed internet, you will probably have trouble protesting their practices by going somewhere else. Finally, they are the only internet entity that can collect your entire history.
Agreed on all points, however they aren't going to collect any level of detail on your browsing like a website will, even after enabling Do Not Track. I work for a large provider, no end users in the US though, that's a different subsidiary, so I can understand why they want to get this income, but I also don't want to be tracked :)

In the end, you could just not use the Internet...worked for the first part of my life!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 pm

ktulu wrote:... Heck, even SGT has cookies for things!

Mmmmm... cookies...

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:02 pm

BRWombat wrote:Mmmmm... cookies...
We've lived on Maui for almost fifteen years. In all those years we've never been visited by the Girl Scouts selling cookies. Until last week.

Last week, the doorbell sounded (Schnauzer racing to the front gate) and I started to walk out. I could just see two heads and thought the Watchtower people had returned. I rounded the corner and found a Girl Scout with a cart full of cookies and her mother.

I think I scared the poor kid by asking where she had been the previous fifteen years.

I called my wife out who was more excited than I was. We pretty much cleaned her out of Thin Mints and Samoas. I also gave her the G2 on where her best potential customers on the block were. I also made her promise to return next year.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:17 am

hobie16 wrote:
BRWombat wrote:Mmmmm... cookies...
We've lived on Maui for almost fifteen years. In all those years we've never been visited by the Girl Scouts selling cookies. Until last week.

Last week, the doorbell sounded (Schnauzer racing to the front gate) and I started to walk out. I could just see two heads and thought the Watchtower people had returned. I rounded the corner and found a Girl Scout with a cart full of cookies and her mother.

I think I scared the poor kid by asking where she had been the previous fifteen years.

I called my wife out who was more excited than I was. We pretty much cleaned her out of Thin Mints and Samoas. I also gave her the G2 on where her best potential customers on the block were. I also made her promise to return next year.
Now THERE"S cookies practically everyone can get behind!

Ianto Jones
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ianto Jones » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks for the work you put in to enable encryption.
Kind of you, and may make some more comfortable posting here.
:)

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Ianto Jones wrote:Thanks for the work you put in to enable encryption.
Kind of you, and may make some more comfortable posting here.
:)
I also control the VM it is hosted on, and a good friend owns the hardware where the VM is hosted. I also have connections to the ISP where the host/VM is connected. Welcome back to SGT!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."