Abe Vigoda will not be down for breakfast

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Abe Vigoda will not be down for breakfast

Post by BRWombat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:01 pm

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Abe Vigoda will not be down for breakfast

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:49 pm

RIP Abe.

I read a story about him years ago. After playing a mobster in the Godfather he was continually pulled over by cops thinking they had seen his mugshot somewhere. After he started playing a detective on Barney Miller the same cops were always giving him a thumbs up.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 pm

hobie16 wrote:RIP Abe.

I read a story about him years ago. After playing a mobster in the Godfather he was continually pulled over by cops thinking they had seen his mugshot somewhere. After he started playing a detective on Barney Miller the same cops were always giving him a thumbs up.
I could have sworn that Barney Miller was before Godfather. Could be wrong though.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:

I could have sworn that Barney Miller was before Godfather. Could be wrong though.
From IMDB.

The Godfather 1972
Tessio

Barney Miller (TV Series) 1974 - 1981
Det. Phil Fish

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:00 pm

A roommate of ours who had the satellite TV account moved out last November, and our satellite went bye-bye by the end of the month. We had rabbit ears TV with a nicer TV, but that belonged to another roomie, who also moved out after New Year's. So we haven't really had TV in our house.
Abe lived a good long life. I was wondering if he was still around.
Wasn't he in a shorter-lived series named Fish after Barney Miller ended?

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:34 pm

hobie16 wrote:
Goofyernmost wrote:

From IMDB.

The Godfather 1972
Tessio

Barney Miller (TV Series) 1974 - 1981
Det. Phil Fish
Yes, I looked it up after I posted. My brain just isn't accepting that even though I know it's a fact. My memory is flashing back to seeing Abe in the Godfather and thinking... Hey, that's Fish! I thought that maybe I didn't see it until well after Godfather was released, but, then I was reminded by someone that we went to the movie showing when it was first released. So, chalk it up to old age I guess. I probably saw him on Barney Miller and thought... hey that's Tessio! Apparently Michael cut him some slack, for old times sake, after all.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 am

felinefan wrote:...

Wasn't he in a shorter-lived series named Fish after Barney Miller ended?
Yeah, if memory serves it focused on he and his wife dealing with a handful of orphans or foster kids. It lasted a season and a half.

Vigoda's passing is bringing back a lot of fond memories of Barney Miller - Fish, Wojo, Yemana, Officer Levitt. Great fun. The "werewolf" episode is one of TV's funniest shows ever -- I still laugh just remembering Jack Soo's Yemana panicking when the "werewolf" prisoner started howling.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:23 pm

I liked the one when the college kid is brought in with a funny looking device that he claims is a full mock up of a nuclear device that he built for a physics class. All it's lacking is fissionable material to become fully functional. No one believes him until Dietrich walks in and asks, "Who does the nuclear bomb belong to?"

They take the device away from the kid but he has the last laugh. "Just remember, I'm only a C student. Just think what the A students are working on."

--- Matt King

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:50 pm

felinefan wrote: Wasn't he in a shorter-lived series named Fish after Barney Miller ended?
Somewhat true except that it was while Barney Miller was still on the air. Abe only stayed on the BM sitcom for 2 or 3 years and he was spun off to the sitcom "Fish". I think it ended before Barney Miller did though.