Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Is New Age crystal spirituality gateway stupidity for the anti-vaxers? Jenny McCarthy, former Playboy Playmate, MTV star and comedienne might know. She got plenty of help from Oprah, Larry King and People magazine.

Then, of course, she claims she was "misunderstood."

The response? Science writer rips Jenny McCarthy after she denies being anti-vaccine

Then there's this:

There are no indications that the (Medical Board of California) has investigated doctors identified in news reports as puveyors of vaccine skepticism, despite news reports from their practices--though its investigations remain confidential until and unless they result in an action against the doctor's license. Still, as the state's leading regulator of physicians, the Medical Board should be in the forefront of the battle against anti-vaccination behavior by its licensees. So far, it isn't. By its inaction, it has ceded the stage to people like Jenny McCarthy.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:39 pm

While I agree with vaccination(except that I think we are giving 6 at a time pre-kindergarten now,love doing that) and this Silver Lining of vaccine awareness came with our recent outbreak,the Penn and Teller Video makes me all too depressed about the actual current rates of Autism (1 in 68 kids,1 in 42 boys as I recall). My son with Autism watched the video with me and submitted that he will die before we figure out how to prevent it,adding that we are screwed. The toll on our country is huge with SDI and Social Security going to our disabled kids and adults....now I have had friends who have received notice the Social Security has determined their young adult's "Health has improved" as if Autism is a temporary condition. Some with Autism can become self-supporting, most will not, but I now see how our Government is "handling it". We need to find out what can prevent Autism now. :soapbox:

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:48 pm

The link between autism and vaccinations has been thoroughly shot down. If it were true, everybody would be autistic. It's probably the environment--we're using an awful lot of plastic.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:44 pm

this disease does invisible damage.
wait until they get one that beats you like a red headed stepchild.
oh, Mr Polio, your turn is soon.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:16 pm

Here's quotes from some anti-vaxxers:

“There is absolutely no reason to get the shot,” said Crystal McDonald, whose 16-year-old daughter was one of 66 students sent home from Palm Desert High School for the next two weeks because they did not have full measles immunizations.

But when the school sent her home with a letter, Ms. McDonald’s daughter was so concerned about missing two weeks of Advanced Placement classes that she suggested simply getting a measles inoculation. “I said, ‘No, absolutely not,’ “ Ms. McDonald said. “I said, ‘I’d rather you miss an entire semester than you get the shot.’ “
As Ciel Lorenzen, a massage therapist, picked up her children, Rio, 10, and Athena, 7, at Lagunitas Elementary, she defended her choice to not vaccinate either of them, even as health and school officials urged a different course.

“It’s good to explore alternatives rather than go with the panic of everyone around you,” she said. “Vaccines don’t feel right for me and my family.
Kelly McMenimen, a Lagunitas parent, said she “meditated on it a lot” before deciding not to vaccinate her son Tobias, 8, against even “deadly or deforming diseases.” She said she did not want “so many toxins” entering the slender body of a bright-eyed boy who loves math and geography.

Tobias has endured chickenpox and whooping cough, though Ms. McMenimen said the latter seemed more like a common cold. She considered a tetanus shot after he cut himself on a wire fence but decided against it: “He has such a strong immune system.”

“He has such a strong immune system.” One way or another Tobias will either be totally screwed or dead before he reaches 18.

Full NY Times Article

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:49 pm

It amazes me how the fact that we had eradicated measles, polio and so many other diseases counts as "panic".

In elementary school I did a report on Franklin D. Roosevelt. Polio is nasty stuff. But that's okay. Go ahead and put all of us at risk not just of the original disease, but also a stronger, nastier form because of your beliefs.

Gonna say something more political here than I ever like to. It fits. My rights end where yours begin, and the reverse is true.

So, if you don't want to protect yourself from these horrific diseases, that's fine with me. Go somewhere where you are not going to infect me with a worse version when you catch it.

:soapbox:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:10 pm

I had a pretty strong immune response when I was a kid, but my parents still made sure we got all our vaccinations. I think people who don't vaccinate their kids should be charged with child endangerment and neglect.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:13 pm

felinefan wrote:I had a pretty strong immune response when I was a kid, but my parents still made sure we got all our vaccinations. I think people who don't vaccinate their kids should be charged with child endangerment and neglect.
Can't say I think criminal charges are the best solution. Permanent quarantine, on the other hand...

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Here's a thought...

The theme of Disneyland's 60th anniversary bash should be 'Vaccinate your kids'

These are people with no rational grounds for avoiding vaccinations of themselves or their children--not medical or religious reasons, which are rare, but unreasoning faith in fraudulent or long-debunked challenges to the safety and efficacy of vaccines.

If Disneyland and the other parks got together, they could do much to undermine the misinformation and sloppy thinking that infect the vaccination debate nationwide. The latest example comes from New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who unburdened himself Monday of the thought that "parents need to have some measure of choice" about immunizing their children and that government officials should strike a "balance."

Christie's remarks contradicted the law in his own state, which recognizes medical and religious exemptions from immunization but doesn't otherwise provide for parent "choice" or "personal belief" exemptions as do other states, including California.

--- Matt King

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:07 pm

felinefan wrote:The link between autism and vaccinations has been thoroughly shot down. If it were true, everybody would be autistic. It's probably the environment--we're using an awful lot of plastic.
The reason why there is an increase in autism is because up until recently not everything was named autism. Other problems existed long before but were called something different. If a child had trouble verbalizing, it was called slow development, but never permanently labeled as it is now. If you had a child that had trouble in school they were never called autistic, they were called slow learners. The word autism has become today's go to word for everything that can't be seen as physical. There are no more autistic children then there ever were. There are just more children labeled as autistic. You don't get front of line passes for a slow child, but an autistic one will bring it to court. Personally I think it is a shame. In the example of "Slow Learners", that particular label was hurtful, but it also did imply that there was a way out and that they might be a little behind, but they would eventually catch up. It gave them hope and confidence. Being autistic is a life long condemning of a person as other then normal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The more educated we have become the dumber we have gotten along with it. We have given up our common sense to follow the almighty printed word. Regardless of what kind of BS we read, we accept it as fact. It really is sad for all involved.