Disney Sells Perfume?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Disney Sells Perfume?

Post by hobie16 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Sephora's workplace is considered a "stage." The employees are "cast members" and their uniforms are "costumes."

In 2008, Jezebel conducted a very revealing interview with a Sephora employee and found out that working at Sephora is like being a performer. Here's how "Jasmine," the Sephora employee who used a pseudonym during the interview, details life "on set."

She said, "The 'stage' is the sales floor. Then 'backstage' is anywhere that isn't the sales floor. I'm not an employee, I'm a 'cast member.' It's never called a uniform, it's called a 'costume.' And I mean... that's just like, wearing black. Your bosses are 'leadership.'"

Do Disney cast members get "gifts?"

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Disney Sells Perfume?

Post by drcorey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:10 pm

first one should be mouse sweat.
smell like the boss rodent after a hard day of playing

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Yeah, they took the terminology as their own. Disney came up with it but I know a few companies that do the same thing, and I am positive there are many that I don't know.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:05 am

The vocabulary is a tool. It works. It isn't possible to copyright and licence. Thus one shouldn't be surprised that other organizations will pick up on it and use it. Universal has hired so many Disney managers that it's becoming the norm there, for example.

Disney does sell perfume, and has for a long time. The Parfumery in New Orleans Square was perhaps only the second shop in the US where guests could blend their own scent. Cheap scents are also on the shelf for tweens in a number of shops today.

And to answer the other question, yes -- Disney Cast Members do receive gifts. I received everything from a free popsicle to a set of crystal ears over my time.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Zazu wrote:And to answer the other question, yes -- Disney Cast Members do receive gifts. I received everything from a free popsicle to a set of crystal ears over my time.
You didn't read the linked article.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.