Official SGT ADD thread

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Official SGT ADD thread

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:16 am

I'm back!! Still trying to come out of barbershop rock-stardom and back into the real world. :biggrin:

Here's a little something that's been floating around Facebook. It looks like a promo for an upcoming Voices of Liberty album? In any case, the vocals are spectacular. The guy in the brown shirt waving his arms is Tony DeRosa, their director, who coached VM on our way to the championship and also then performed with us, earning his first chorus gold medal same as me (although he also has three quartet gold medals, which are much, much harder to get)!

[video][/video]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:22 pm

"Disney World has become a popular location for Republican fundraisers. A favorite activity is to ride through It's a Small World and deport most of the dolls."
---Conan O'Brien

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:01 am

Winning the Nobel Prize isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Winning the prize, considered the highest honor in each of these fields, tends to have a dramatic effect on scientists’ lives. “Your life does change overnight,” recalled astrophysicist Brian Schmidt, who won the 2011 Nobel Physics Prize for co-discovering dark energy—the mysterious element of the universe that is causing the expansion of spacetime to speed up. “It’s not like you get advanced warning, they just sort of call you up, in my case, in the middle of cooking dinner. ‘Hello? By the way, you’ve won the Nobel Prize.’”

Schmidt spoke about his experience at an event in New York City last month celebrating the construction of one of the largest observatories in the world, the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT), due to open in 2020 in Chile. His institution, Australian National University, is part of the GMT consortium. Among other scientific goals, the telescope will study faraway stars and galaxies to understand the expansion of space and the nature of the dark energy that is pulling it apart, which is thought to make up about 70 percent of the total mass and energy in the universe.

Among the many changes the Nobel Prize brought to Schmidt’s life: travel hassles. Here’s what he said it’s like to carry a Nobel medal aboard an airplane:

“There are a couple of bizarre things that happen. One of the things you get when you win a Nobel Prize is, well, a Nobel Prize. It’s about that big, that thick [he mimes a disk roughly the size of an Olympic medal], weighs a half a pound, and it’s made of gold.

“When I won this, my grandma, who lives in Fargo, North Dakota, wanted to see it. I was coming around so I decided I’d bring my Nobel Prize. You would think that carrying around a Nobel Prize would be uneventful, and it was uneventful, until I tried to leave Fargo with it, and went through the X-ray machine. I could see they were puzzled. It was in my laptop bag. It’s made of gold, so it absorbs all the X-rays—it’s completely black. And they had never seen anything completely black.

“They’re like, ‘Sir, there’s something in your bag.’
I said, ‘Yes, I think it’s this box.’
They said, ‘What’s in the box?’
I said, ‘a large gold medal,’ as one does.
So they opened it up and they said, ‘What’s it made out of?’
I said, ‘gold.’
And they’re like, ‘Uhhhh. Who gave this to you?’
‘The King of Sweden.’
‘Why did he give this to you?’
‘Because I helped discover the expansion rate of the universe was accelerating.’
At which point, they were beginning to lose their sense of humor. I explained to them it was a Nobel Prize, and their main question was, ‘Why were you in Fargo?’”

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Funny. And "Why were you in Fargo?" is always a valid question.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:44 pm

BRWombat wrote:Funny. And "Why were you in Fargo?" is always a valid question.
I don't think most locals have figured out an answer to this question yet either.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 am

Posting to use the Tardis smiley. Just because I can.

:tardis:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:40 pm

Do I need to share this post, for no good reason at all?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:23 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Do I need to share this post, for no good reason at all?
:Figment:
Share this dragon. If you do, lucky end for them and you.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:40 am

I don't know if that dragon is real. He looks like a Figment of my Imagination.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:42 am

You've most likely seen the latest picture of Kim Kardashian's exposed posterior. After seeing it for the umpteenth time I suddenly realized it's very seasonal as her butt looks like a Butterball turkey.

--- Matt King