Went to the Walt Disney Family Museum!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Went to the Walt Disney Family Museum!

Post by PatchOBlack » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:31 pm

This last Sunday (10/12), my family took me out to the Walt Disney Family Museum to belatedly celebrate my birthday. I will see about posting some pictures later, but for now, let me say...it was wonderful! It was filled with terrific exhibits, all very creatively done. The staff was, as expected, friendly and helpful. I even liked the little cafe and gift shop, which both did not have a large list of items, did have some very good selections. As they say, a good time had by all!

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: Went to the Walt Disney Family Museum!

Post by ktulu » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:29 pm

I really enjoyed my visit to the WDFM. They did a great job!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 am

My visit to the museum was a bit odd. A friend (and fellow SGTer) is a docent, and he very kindly brought me in and gave SWMBO and I a private tour. All went well, at first.

Then we came to the big map of Disneyland, and oh did that bring back memories of attractions long passed. I started talking about them, and all the changes as my friend pumped me for information. Slowly, we accreted a small crowd -- three or four, not enough to cause panic. Then these newcomers started to ask questions. I learned that none had been to Disneyland until the 90s, so had missed all the history I was discussing.

When I finally finished with the map, they thanked me for my input ... and introduced themselves as museum staff!

-----

Now before anyone thinks ill of the Museum management for employing individuals without a long history of Disneyland visits, please understand that several staffers were far too young to have seen the Park in its first couple of decades. Know also that curating a museum collection requires both specialized training and experience, and a certain distance from the subject. Heaven knows it would take me a lot longer to sort a drawer full of Walt's letters than someone who wasn't rabidly interested!

The Walt Disney Family Museum is a quality operation -- and I say that as someone who has worked in historical museums for twenty years and runs one now. It's also a wonderful destination for any Disney fan, and I encourage any who get within range to pay a visit. I also recommend you plan for at least four hours -- some of us will need more.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Haven't read the article, but I see where Walt's home is up for sale.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Found it-- http://www.bankrate.com/lite/real-estat ... d=m1176633
It's described as being 1600 square feet, 1 bedroom 2 bathroom, on 2.79 acres. It's in Palm Desert, CA, and is being offered for $535,000, by Jason Evans, Coldwell Banker; there are 10 pictures.
Is it me, or are those streaks on the bathroom mirror? Ewwww!!!! As a janitor, I would notice something like this. Check out the comments. Some people are so ignorant. I personally don't see anything wrong with the color. And as some of the comments suggest, there are still some people in denial about the drought.... or the fact it's in the desert. Of course there's no lawn! Yeesh, people!
Last edited by Zazu on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:16 am

There is a lot of criticism about the price, but it has gorgeous views in a resort area. Needs redecorating. I graduated from the College there-College of the Desert with my Nursing Degree. We used to call it "College of the Desperate" :wink:

Maybe we could buy it and make it the Official SGT Party Headquarters!!! :rocker:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:20 am

That is a beautiful house. The view alone is worth the price, and to have that piece of Uncle Walt would be beautiful too. Now just to come up with half a million dollars.

The opinion expressed in this post is personal and not given as a current or former REALTOR(R). It should not be taken in any sort of an advisory role

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:55 pm

I admit the ceiling fans have a rather whimsical look--kind of like Walt add a bit of the Enchanted Tiki Room to it. The main room looks like the parties there must've been on the formal side. But you'll notice there are some things--flat screen T.V., modern kitchen appliances--that are definitely not from Walt's time. Wonder how many owners it's had since Walt passed away? Looks like they did a good job of keeping most of it original.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:54 am

According to the ad, the ceiling fan is a prop from Casablanca.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?