Off Kilter Will Not Be Down for Breakfast

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Widget
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Off Kilter Will Not Be Down for Breakfast

Post by Widget » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:30 pm

I am not happy. :sad: I found out a couple weeks ago that Off Kilter is being replaced by a lumberjack show. Really? Why not put the boring, yet I am sure very talented, lumberjacks somewhere else, Fort Wilderness comes to mind, and leave Off Kilter where they are.

Canada just will not be the same without the sound of bagpipes echoing across the water.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Off Kilter Will Not Be Down for Breakfast

Post by bookbabe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 am

Off Kilter isn't the only casualty of this new Epcot entertainment "revamp" but it's the one I'm most upset about. It was a must-do on every trip, and we'd plan our Epcot days around their schedule. It wasn't the most Canadian of acts, but it was good solid entertainment.

As a Canadian, I am highly insulted at the concept of the lumberjack show. It's an outdated stereotype, and not one many Canadians are very interested in keeping alive. It's not quite as bad as it would be to put blackface performers at the American pavilion or something like that, but it's up there...

I'd love to know whose stupid idea these changes were...I'd give them lumberjacks... :chainsaw:

kcberlin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by kcberlin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 am

The important question is will the lumberjacks be playing this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:00 pm

bookbabe wrote:Off Kilter isn't the only casualty of this new Epcot entertainment "revamp" but it's the one I'm most upset about. It was a must-do on every trip, and we'd plan our Epcot days around their schedule. It wasn't the most Canadian of acts, but it was good solid entertainment.

As a Canadian, I am highly insulted at the concept of the lumberjack show. It's an outdated stereotype, and not one many Canadians are very interested in keeping alive. It's not quite as bad as it would be to put blackface performers at the American pavilion or something like that, but it's up there...

I'd love to know whose stupid idea these changes were...I'd give them lumberjacks... :chainsaw:
I agree, it is both stereo typical and offensive. Why not have Cirque create something for the space? Or book a tribute band playing Canadian rock and roll from artists like Neil Young, The Guess Who, Rush, Tragically Hip and such ? They are missing the boat big time on this. I expect there will be a very vocal backlash once this hits the Canadian media.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:44 am

The Lumberjacks. You know, that could also be used in the Oregon Pavilion.

Just saying.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 am

Big Wallaby wrote:The Lumberjacks. You know, that could also be used in the Oregon Pavilion.
No, Oregon lumberjacks are very different from Canadian lumberjacks. The ones from Oregon don't end their sentences with an affirmative, eh!

:PaulBunyan:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:47 am

[video][/video]

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:59 pm

drcorey wrote:[video][/video]
I wondered how long it would take for someone to post this.