Appreciation

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Appreciation

Post by YANXWIN » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 am

I found this article interesting. Not being a cast member, I was wondering of this show of appreciation helped or not. I try and tell all the cast members I talk to that we appreciate what they do to make our trip magical. We will be there again next week and look forward to talking to as many cast members as possible. Thank you for all you do. We love it there.

Copied from another site:

In the 25+ years I've been writing about Disneyland, I don't think a single year has gone by without a cast member telling me, "Employee morale has never been lower." And, in recent years, the park appears to have given up even trying to dispel the notion.

In the 1980s, even as the company began slashing pay scales, benefits and work hours, managers were still trained to at least feign appreciation to the rank and file—holding elaborate Christmas parties (when cast members had the park to themselves), organizing retirement parties, providing buttons on the park's July 17 birthday, and handing out a host of other perks simply to say, "You're appreciated."

Over the last few years, most of those perks disappeared. Cast members grumbled, but soldiered on. But the disenchantment all seemed to come to a head this past Memorial Day weekend, at a 24-hour party during which guests filed a record number of complaints against cranky cast members.

To its credit, management finally got the message. So this week, to mark Disneyland's 59th anniversary, Team Disney Anaheim rolled out Cast Celebration Week—six days of treats and thank-yous to show employees that they're appreciated:

On Monday July 14, cast members were given free healthy snacks, including apples, oranges, bananas, and granola bars.
On Tuesday, each received a meal, consisting of a hot dog, bag of chips, chocolate chip cookie, and soda or bottled water.
On Wednesday, every employee was treated to a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar.
Yesterday, cast members got a Disneyland birthday button.
Today, the Opera House on Main Street will show vintage footage of Disneyland with artifacts from the Disney archives in the lobby. Popcorn and bottled water will be served.
And throughout the week, cast members have been able to have their photo taken with a classic attraction vehicle at various locations.

They're all simple acts, but so unexpected that, together, they're going a long way to help repair cast member/Mouse relations.

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Appreciation

Post by hhsrat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Without getting into the discussion of whether or not the cast members should be grateful they're getting anything at all, I will say that in the 10 years I've been with Disney, the amount and quality of "bonus perks" has dropped drastically. Even getting into the parks, it used to be that our IDs would allow us to enter, 365 days a year, but now, there are several days that even Cast Members can't get in.

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:50 pm

I am very very jealous of our Cast at DL....all we have at WDW MK right now is a little sign that says "thanks for what you do". This is the same sign that greets Cast as you get off the bus. Yup, they rotate the sign and THAT is where the "We extended operating hours today sign goes". :hysterical:

Feel the love .... :oweye:

Congrats DL ...at least Anaheim is paying attention to SOMEBODY.

mapo

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:43 am

YANXWIN wrote: Copied from another site:

On Tuesday, each received a meal, consisting of a hot dog, bag of chips, chocolate chip cookie, and soda or bottled water.
This Tuesday meal also offered the best and bigest, juiciest hamburgers :cheeseburger: to D L C Ms courtesy of our ourstanding DFD. D L bought all the food, but those WONDERFUL DFD C Ms opened their parking area and worked all day into early evening grilling for C Ms and serving C Ms great grilled delights with smiles and jokes. DFD guys ALL ROCK! DFD was not forced to do anything for C Ms on Tuesday. They volunteered. Yes, Volunteered to man their grills and cook for C Ms who stopped by. D L owes DFD for so much effort throughout the year. Just had to mention our Great DFD for all their dedication and contributions very few realize. :thumbsup:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 am

This might be more interesting to us non-Disneylanders if whe had a clue what DLC and DFD mean. I'm just sayin'...

Drop me a note and I'll add these to the acronym list.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 am

DFD has to be Disney Fire Department. It doesn't matter which FD they work for, firefighters will be grillin' at the drop of a hot dog.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:54 am

After a reread it's DLCM, Disneyland Cast Member.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38 am

Punctuation matters, people! And that includes spaces. Note the difference between:

"Let's go eat, grandma!" and "Let's go eat grandma!"

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 am

Zazu wrote:Punctuation matters, people! And that includes spaces. Note the difference between:

"Let's go eat, grandma!" and "Let's go eat grandma!"
You left out, "Let's go, eat grandma!"

--- Matt King

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:45 pm

If you really want to have fun, try the following sentence: What is that on the road ahead? First read it as you see it, then re-reread, stressing a different word each time.
WHAT is that on the road ahead?
What IS that one the road ahead?
What is THAT on the road ahead?
What is that ON the road ahead?
What is that on THE road ahead?
What is that on the ROAD ahead?
What is that on the road AHEAD?

Changes slightly in meaning each time, doesn't it? :biggrin: