PEOPLE!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

PEOPLE!

Post by drcorey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Why do people try to riun the magic for others?
yeah, we know what most everything really is at Disney.
It's called FANTASY people. You dont have to point out to people that there are actors in costumes. the same people that tell thier kids and friends that Mickey and the other charactors are opeople in costumes. these are the same people that ruin make believe for thier kids telling them there are no magical beings that bring gifts. like santa is really just some old fat guy in a ratty suit that can only work once a year. Walt said the magic is in your heart.
remember those old peter pan shows? if you dont believe in tinkerbell she will die?
well if you kill the magic for everyone, it will all die. no one will want to believe anymore.
so dont ruin the magic for anyone. It's all real in your heart. just tell your brain to take a nap for a while.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: PEOPLE!

Post by Zazu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:35 pm

:thumbsup:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:27 pm

I agree in principle, but, that isn't the only reason that type of stuff is said. Many kids are petrified of those gigantic foam heads so, parents tell them that they are just people in a costume so that they won't be afraid. I know that breaks the magic for them, but, screaming in fear isn't exactly a magical experience either. :bawl: :bawl:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:I agree in principle, but, that isn't the only reason that type of stuff is said. Many kids are petrified of those gigantic foam heads so, parents tell them that they are just people in a costume so that they won't be afraid. I know that breaks the magic for them, but, screaming in fear isn't exactly a magical experience either. :bawl: :bawl:
hmm, you never been to universal haunted nights have you?

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 am

When I was in the magic industry, there was a very similar principle.

First, let me tell you the best way to enjoy a magic show. Believe everything you see. Don't worry about how it's done or any of that. Just know that it happens, and of course the magician is deceiving you; that is their job. At least they are being honest in deceiving you.

It always amazed me the hecklers who came to shows and paid good money for what, to ruin the experience for everyone else?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 am

Big Wallaby wrote:When I was in the magic industry, there was a very similar principle.

First, let me tell you the best way to enjoy a magic show. Believe everything you see. Don't worry about how it's done or any of that. Just know that it happens, and of course the magician is deceiving you; that is their job. At least they are being honest in deceiving you.

It always amazed me the hecklers who came to shows and paid good money for what, to ruin the experience for everyone else?
yep, Walt made the parks so you can get away in fantasy and forget your daily problems.
course these days it's unless cash is your problem.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 am

It's called a willing suspension of disbelief. Buy into it. Now, I like peeking behind the curtain and understanding how things are done. I end up appreciating it on two levels. On one level, I'm fully buying into the magic and fantasy. On another I looking for how it's done. Since many of my friends are like-minded people, there will be the occasional comment about the mechanical rather than the magical, but we are always careful to share that amoung ourselves and not to broadcast it. I would think the same rule would apply for anyone trying to reassure a child by explaining about the character's friends.

For the people that feel important or cool by letting anyone around know that they have it all figured out, I would say they are somewhat sad and very annoying.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 am

This is why we choose to spend our vacation dollars at Disney. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the fantasy of it all and the detail that the imagineers put into everything. We love not having to worry about anything while we are there. The kids know that it is not reality and that they can relax and enjoy their surroundings. They also understand that we cant stay in that world forever, but it is a nice break from the hectic pace of our everyday lives.

My oldest daughter will be living away from home for 18 months and we will not be able to vacation with her during that time. She asked that we go to land one more time before she leaves, so we will be going again in May. (I will take any excuse possible to plan another trip) We love to be together and this allows us to do things that are good for all ages in our family. I can't wait.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:05 am

WEDFan wrote:It's called a willing suspension of disbelief. Buy into it. Now, I like peeking behind the curtain and understanding how things are done. I end up appreciating it on two levels. On one level, I'm fully buying into the magic and fantasy. On another I looking for how it's done. Since many of my friends are like-minded people, there will be the occasional comment about the mechanical rather than the magical, but we are always careful to share that amoung ourselves and not to broadcast it. I would think the same rule would apply for anyone trying to reassure a child by explaining about the character's friends.

For the people that feel important or cool by letting anyone around know that they have it all figured out, I would say they are somewhat sad and very annoying.
My feelings exactly. Well said.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:57 am

Wait, those are people in costumes!? :bigeyes:

I think I've gotten pretty good at the whole suspension of disbelief thing being around these types of characters as often as I am. Even when I know the person really well I still don't see them, I see the character they're portraying. Life is just a lot more fun that way.