We Need a Hero

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

We Need a Hero

Post by mapo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 am

I was not sure where this should go, so I thought maybe here is the right place.

I was just thinking about that rock song "I Need a Hero". I cannot remember which female singer actually performed it tho. LOL

A few of us at work have been talking A LOT about things. Things like "You don't HAVE to work at Disney" and other demoralizing comments being made by people that should be supporting Cast at WDW.

One thing we agree about is Cast could sure use Dick Nunis or Lee Cockrell back at WDW. You know that Lee was VERY pro-Cast. He even had a talk on tape that asked managers to think about "How would you treat your Cast if you knew that there was not one more person available to hire for WDW?" It ran along the lines of working with people ..treating them so they wanted to be at Disney, that you retained people, and how happy Cast will make your business so much better.

Ironically, Lee moved on to Starwood...and sells books based on his philosophy that he started publishing in the Main Street Diary. I loved those Diary editions -- and have read many, over and over again.

George came back to WDW and for those who know George or just know of George, we were thrilled. But George has been scarce. I know George came out to MK for the recent non-parade of UCF's football team. Why? Well cause the big wigs all ran out to make sure that George was kept company during the event.

Now, Tom Skaggs is another big wig that we were excited about having in place. Tom does make some trips from CA to WDW since he took his position. Funny, the admin types make sure that every step Tom makes in the park is very carefully choreographed. I know that one park even had a few custodial coordinators who cleaned up especially for Tom and his group keeping just ahead of his group as they 'guided' him through the park.

Of course, cast wanted Tom to see the real version of the park as he walked through but well, I guess the admin types realized that Tom seeing the actual condition of the park and its visitors might not be a good idea.

I have heard that Tom has managed to escape his "handlers" a couple of times and walked the parks on his own. This of course if much to the dismay of those same admin types.

You may notice that I have not used the term "leader". Frankly, I have not seen a true leader in a long time.

When you have worked for people like Lee Cockrell, you know what a leader is..and he set a very high standard.

One well placed LEADER could change this place into what it should be for cast and guests. Don't believe me? Then I direct you to when Lee came to WDW under Al Weiss. Lee and Al together were change agents. They led by example. And Lee's work ethic of rolling up his sleeves and working side by side with front line Cast set a tone. He LED...he was a LEADER...and he was our HERO.

Well, WDW is in a downward spiral. The old timers say that they have not seen morale this low since before Frank Wells and Michael Eisner started running the show. Yes, I loath Eisner, but Frank Wells managed to keep him in check. They pumped money and resources into the parks and resorts. They got us the attractions, resorts, and operating capital to put the tools in the front line Cast Members hands to do our job.

Even before them, there was a campaign for Cast .... a few slogans come to mind.

Garbage cans backstage with "Show Your Pride...It's YOUR World Too".
Bumper stickers saying "Follow Me to the Best Job in the World"

And another saying comes to mind "Lead....Follow....Or Get out of my Way". Unfortunately, the micro managing philosophy most managers have will not permit front line Cast to show the way (follow) or take ownership (Get Out of my Way) so we must wait for SOMEONE to LEAD.

SOMEONE who is not intimidated by smarter Cast.
SOMEONE who really lets you take OWNERSHIP.
SOMEONE who can break through the levels of red tape and miniature KINGDOMS that divide us as a whole.
SOMEONE who can EMPOWER the CAST.
SOMEONE who can help us get our PRIDE back.
SOMEONE who has read the inscription on the "Casting Agency" door on Main Street -- and truly believes what it says.

That SOMEONE will be our HERO.

:soapbox:

Anybody have an ideas on how we can make this happen?

mapo

deathcomesarippin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: We Need a Hero

Post by deathcomesarippin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:41 am

Sadly I have no idea how to make this happen, unless there could be some cast wide protest. But I agree we do need more leader like people and less of the straight manager mentality. I can say personly though, I have had some Leaders at WDW (dunno if I want to say exactly were in WDW though) who were actually leaders! I could look up to them to know exactly what to do, they lead by example. Not only did they do that, but also treated the cast with respect and was freindly and would strike up conversation in the elevator etc. Two in particular were always so stressed and swamped, becuase not only did they did theyre work, they also help out the cast alot. They never forgot where they came from. Those are the kind of people that need to be running the place. Leaders who invest more in thier cast members.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:15 am

During my short stint at IBM I was told that if I had a problem and it couldn't be solved locally, I was to call the Chairman's office. He had regional guys that would look into problems.

If a manager got caught by one of the regional guys in a major screwup, he/she would have to apologize to all of their reports and state how things were going to be fixed. I think there was also some reeducation involved too.

Does Disney have anything like it? Why not?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 am

I have to say, I have a friend whose father is a member here, who was fired as a CP for Fastpass cheating. Knowing both her father and her, I can say that I know she was not guilty, but unfortunately once the accusation is made, the validity of the claim ceases to matter. I've seen that happen to many people now many times. She called me up for advice, and the one shot that I gave her was to look up and write to Meg Crofton. What the heck.

An hour later, she was notified by one of the other managers in her area that Meg was looking into it, and they would have a final result shortly.

She was still fired, but I give Meg kudos for being willing to even look into it. I am just sorry that the truth was not uncovered... but as has been pointed out, the people at the top are shrouded from any and all truth that they can be.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:36 am

mapo wrote:I was not sure where this should go, so I thought maybe here is the right place.

I was just thinking about that rock song "I Need a Hero". I cannot remember which female singer actually performed it tho. LOL

A few of us at work have been talking A LOT about things. Things like "You don't HAVE to work at Disney" and other demoralizing comments being made by people that should be supporting Cast at WDW.

One thing we agree about is Cast could sure use Dick Nunis or Lee Cockrell back at WDW. You know that Lee was VERY pro-Cast. He even had a talk on tape that asked managers to think about "How would you treat your Cast if you knew that there was not one more person available to hire for WDW?" It ran along the lines of working with people ..treating them so they wanted to be at Disney, that you retained people, and how happy Cast will make your business so much better.

Ironically, Lee moved on to Starwood...and sells books based on his philosophy that he started publishing in the Main Street Diary. I loved those Diary editions -- and have read many, over and over again.

George came back to WDW and for those who know George or just know of George, we were thrilled. But George has been scarce. I know George came out to MK for the recent non-parade of UCF's football team. Why? Well cause the big wigs all ran out to make sure that George was kept company during the event.

Now, Tom Skaggs is another big wig that we were excited about having in place. Tom does make some trips from CA to WDW since he took his position. Funny, the admin types make sure that every step Tom makes in the park is very carefully choreographed. I know that one park even had a few custodial coordinators who cleaned up especially for Tom and his group keeping just ahead of his group as they 'guided' him through the park.

Of course, cast wanted Tom to see the real version of the park as he walked through but well, I guess the admin types realized that Tom seeing the actual condition of the park and its visitors might not be a good idea.

I have heard that Tom has managed to escape his "handlers" a couple of times and walked the parks on his own. This of course if much to the dismay of those same admin types.

You may notice that I have not used the term "leader". Frankly, I have not seen a true leader in a long time.

When you have worked for people like Lee Cockrell, you know what a leader is..and he set a very high standard.

One well placed LEADER could change this place into what it should be for cast and guests. Don't believe me? Then I direct you to when Lee came to WDW under Al Weiss. Lee and Al together were change agents. They led by example. And Lee's work ethic of rolling up his sleeves and working side by side with front line Cast set a tone. He LED...he was a LEADER...and he was our HERO.

Well, WDW is in a downward spiral. The old timers say that they have not seen morale this low since before Frank Wells and Michael Eisner started running the show. Yes, I loath Eisner, but Frank Wells managed to keep him in check. They pumped money and resources into the parks and resorts. They got us the attractions, resorts, and operating capital to put the tools in the front line Cast Members hands to do our job.

Even before them, there was a campaign for Cast .... a few slogans come to mind.

Garbage cans backstage with "Show Your Pride...It's YOUR World Too".
Bumper stickers saying "Follow Me to the Best Job in the World"

And another saying comes to mind "Lead....Follow....Or Get out of my Way". Unfortunately, the micro managing philosophy most managers have will not permit front line Cast to show the way (follow) or take ownership (Get Out of my Way) so we must wait for SOMEONE to LEAD.

SOMEONE who is not intimidated by smarter Cast.
SOMEONE who really lets you take OWNERSHIP.
SOMEONE who can break through the levels of red tape and miniature KINGDOMS that divide us as a whole.
SOMEONE who can EMPOWER the CAST.
SOMEONE who can help us get our PRIDE back.
SOMEONE who has read the inscription on the "Casting Agency" door on Main Street -- and truly believes what it says.

That SOMEONE will be our HERO.

:soapbox:

Anybody have an ideas on how we can make this happen?

mapo
[youtube][/youtube]

deathcomesarippin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by deathcomesarippin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:20 am

hobie16 wrote:During my short stint at IBM I was told that if I had a problem and it couldn't be solved locally, I was to call the Chairman's office. He had regional guys that would look into problems.

If a manager got caught by one of the regional guys in a major screwup, he/she would have to apologize to all of their reports and state how things were going to be fixed. I think there was also some reeducation involved too.

Does Disney have anything like it? Why not?
Disney could use something like that. I've never been in a "situation" at Disney, but when I worked at Publix, to make a long story short, A manager chewed me out with obsecne profanity (I didnt even do what he thought I did.) I called HR told them what happened. They sent a crew to Interview witness's and audit the whole store. Even though Publix has a reputation for managers and upper mangement to be extreamly strict, The little guy still has a chance. I mean I had the whole store get an audit :bigeyes: and only a few people knew the situation too, they were good with privacy too. I though it was just going to be a slap on the wrist, but the manager was told if this ever happens again, you'll get fired.

I've never seen anything like this happen really happen at Disney.. I was told by a guy in the engineering program that he got there becuase a co-worker said something to him he wouldnt repeat, he wrote to management, they came at him with "we will move you to any park in any section you choose, and any job you would like that you are qualified for." So I cant say what Disney would do but I'd hope its not the manager is always right mentality.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

I was just a kid when Knott's Berry Farm was actually fun to go to. It was still operated by the Knott family. In 1991, the Knott family decided it was getting too much for the park to be family operated--Walter and Cordelia were gone, and I think their only son had passed away by then as well, leaving the three daughters--so they sold out to --I hate brain farts with a passion, somebody help me--another park system and the place began to deteriorate. When I was there working, it was more like Nazi Fairy Farm than Knott's Berry Farm. Management sucks worse than a Hoover, and the place is falling apart. They've corrupted everyone that tries to investigate them. Theme Park Insider's Ride Accidents report has the account of a woman who rode Ghostrider and broke her neck, despite obeying the rules. When she complained, they covered it up, saying she had an injured neck when she got on, which was not true. She was lucky she wasn't paralyzed. The place should be shut down, and the entire management team fired. Rebuild it as it was, take out the other stuff, and then reopen it, putting true leader types in their place. Walter Knott built it to give people something to do while waiting for Cordelia's famous chicken dinners and boysenberry pie, as well as educate them on their Western heritage. If they do that, I'll go back as a guest, but if not, I'm staying as far away as possible.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Cedar Fair bought Knotts.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

That's right, thanks. And they're clonifying Knotts. I had one guest tell me she was so glad they were making Knotts into a Cedar Fair park. Something wrong with uniqueness, lady?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:05 pm

mapo wrote:I was just thinking about that rock song "I Need a Hero". I cannot remember which female singer actually performed it tho. LOL
Very eloquently said, Mapo. I wish I knew where you could find one. I wish I knew how to help.

BTW, "Holding Out for a Hero" is a song recorded by a lot of people, but Bonnie Tyler is probably best known for recording it on the soundtrack to the film "Footloose", and later on one of her albums. It was written by Jim Steinman and Dean Pitchford, I think.