Saving Mr Banks

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by Main Streeter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Myocardial Infarction is correct.
Hail, Hobie? It will be hard to scooter to the Hyatt today :sad:
DM, hobie doesn't need his scooter to hit The Hyatt. He can drive his V W Thing over. Thing is for the dogs but they will allow him to use it if needed, and they are able to go with. Scooter has shotgun. I need a Scooter pup smilie.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 am

Main Streeter wrote:I need a Scooter pup smilie.
Will do. Hobie, exactly what breed am I looking for? Or do you have a nice shot with a contrasting background I could strip?

Zazu,
Smiliemeister

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Scoot.jpg
Scoot.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 3746 times

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:08 pm

drcorey wrote:great movie. and I read about Pamela Lyndon Travers on Wikipedia.
She really hated Walt for what he did to her story and never let him touch another of her books,
no matter how he begged. and when the stage show was approved, she put in the contract, that no one
that was connected with the Disney movie or Disney ever be involved in the show.

I wonder how many other authors Disney did this to.
Did what too? If you mean make them infamous, probably not many. I saw the movie today and I did honestly go through a variety of emotions. From hating her to feeling sorry for her, to realizing that this woman had some serious problems. If anyone can stand there and tell me that Disney didn't improve on her story and give it closure, then I would say that they were as dead on the inside as she was. I understand not wanting to have your character destroyed, but that didn't happen in this case, if anything it enhanced it and if she was such a narrow minded fool to not see that, well, what can be said. I'm glad he did what he did to it because if he hadn't the story would have been lost to me forever. She certainly had an ego as large as Walts and that is why they clashed. Many have done so over the years, but, they mostly were sane enough to know a good thing when they saw it.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:
drcorey wrote:great movie. and I read about Pamela Lyndon Travers on Wikipedia.
She really hated Walt for what he did to her story and never let him touch another of her books,
no matter how he begged. and when the stage show was approved, she put in the contract, that no one
that was connected with the Disney movie or Disney ever be involved in the show.

I wonder how many other authors Disney did this to.
Did what too? If you mean make them infamous, probably not many. I saw the movie today and I did honestly go through a variety of emotions. From hating her to feeling sorry for her, to realizing that this woman had some serious problems. If anyone can stand there and tell me that Disney didn't improve on her story and give it closure, then I would say that they were as dead on the inside as she was. I understand not wanting to have your character destroyed, but that didn't happen in this case, if anything it enhanced it and if she was such a narrow minded fool to not see that, well, what can be said. I'm glad he did what he did to it because if he hadn't the story would have been lost to me forever. She certainly had an ego as large as Walts and that is why they clashed. Many have done so over the years, but, they mostly were sane enough to know a good thing when they saw it.
Another thing I liked was, travers had writers block and was at a stand still with her poppins stories, and after the Disney movie she started writing more stories.
so the Disney movie removed her writers black too.
sort of makes me want to read some of her books.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 am

I'm not sure it was "ego" that caused her problems. When you create something so personal and dear to you, with your vision and heart, to have someone change it a little feels like you are being destroyed, not bettered. The movie carried this vision of someone Travers created to millions and millions. I think it is kind of easy for us to look back all these years later and see the lessons to be learned, but much harder to see them in the moment. We know that Mary Poppins is a smash success, but I'll bet they thought Jon Carter was going to be, or maybe Lone Ranger too. The Pirates movies have made insane amounts of money, but Haunted Mansion was in essence a flop. Who knows, and I think that may have been one of Travers's hangups.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:44 am

I think ego is vital to virtually all creative endevors. At some level you have to feel that you are offering something unique and meaningful to the public. That goes for all the people pouring their creative energy into a given project.

Writing a book is usually a particularly individual effort, but making movies is, by it's nature, a much more collaborative one. It's bound to create conflict, and it really always has. The complaints by writers that their work has been mishandled are legion.

Since you can't prove a negative, it's impossible to assign right and wrong to the sides of a disagreement like the one between Travers and Disney. You can say that the movie was a success, but you can't say it wouldn't have been if it had been made more to Travers liking. It would have been great if the creative forces of Travers and Disney were in complete sync, but given their fairly well documented natures, it was always unlikely. It's too bad that the friction prevented them from coming together on another project later on, but I'm glad they were able to come up with the movie version of Mary Poppins, since I always enjoy the movie a great deal. But, that conflict and tension that resulted in the fnished movie has now created another movie. Had they got along famously, Saving Mr. Banks wouldn't have happened. Conflict creates interest.

I still haven't seen saving Mr. Banks and with the places it is playing near me, I probably won't get to see it in the theaters, but with all the positive comments here you can bet I'll check it out on video.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 am

Zazu wrote:
Will do. Hobie... do you have a nice shot with a contrasting background I could strip?
Okay gang, we have a Scoot: :Scoot:

You can find him in the Celebreties category between Carlos Santana and Donald Trump.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Zazu wrote:
Zazu wrote:
Will do. Hobie... do you have a nice shot with a contrasting background I could strip?
Okay gang, we have a Scoot: : :Scoot:

You can find him in the Celebreties category between Carlos Santana and Donald Trump.
:Scoot: Pretty cool!

Scooter earned her Milk Bones early this morning. She normally sleeps on our bed between my wife and I. She tucks into me and is usually a good sleeper so, if she moves around, it sometimes wakes me up.

At three AM this morning she woke me up. Apparently she had jumped up and was sitting facing the headboard. I patted her and asked if anything was wrong. She sat for a few more minutes and then laid down but was obviously very interested in something in the headboard area. She then climbed over my wife and tucked in between her and the side of the bed. She's never done this in the past.

That eventually woke my wife who finally got up, took the dogs downstairs so they could go outside and then fed them.

I'm wide awake so I decided to watch TIVO. I propped up two pillows and fired up the TV. After five minutes I started hearing a scratching noise. I thought it was coming from outside but eventually determined it was probably coming from between the mattress and the headboard. Scootie had obviously detected something.

I got up, pulled the mattress away from the headboard but didn't see a thing. I laid back down and immediately heard the scratching again. I got up and noticed that there was movement inside of the pillowcase. I told my wife i thought there was a mouse in the pillow case, bunched up the open end and carried it outside. With my wife standing by, I upended the pillow and began to shake out the pillow. A nine inch long centipede fell out.

Whenever there's a strange creature alert in the house, my wife arms herself with her centipede tongs. They're giant tweezers about twelve inches long. She grab the 'pede with her tongs, walked over to the pool and drowned the 'pede.

The moral of this story is, if Scooter alerts in the middle of the night, grab the tongs and strip the bed.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 pm

:Scoot: rocks! maybe she could detect signs of life coming from my kids' room on Saturdays so I could get them to clean!