Saving Mr Banks

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by Zazu » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:20 pm

But not all the smoke, you can still see a few wisps of it.

They also airbrushed out the glass of scotch he was holding. :darph:

Fun to compare to the original, it's like one of those "What's different" puzzles!

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Just returned from seeing it, and was very affected by so many things....the way the movie takes the viewer back in time, the history and love for Disneyland and the Mary Poppins Movie/Music, Sympathy for the characters and watching each person's contribution to the creative process, knowing the meaning of so many of the movie details. Our Showing's audience applauded and I haven't heard that in a while at any movie. I overheard a 14 year old say that if someone didn't cry during this movie, they weren't alive. I should have brought a whole box of Kleenex! :redface:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 am

yep, it's a good movie.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:11 am

Several Leads and I saw Saving Mr Banks. We all were very pleased with the entire film. A few nights later I was checking the Hub for VoluntEar events and wandered to a link which lead to a contest for CMs to enter. The contest/drawing was two free tickets to Saving Mr. Banks. Dates and show times were pre set, thus a CM + 1 had to be off and plan around several dates and times. I entered the contest - simple E m form, then forgot all about it. Last night I received an E m informing me I'd won two tickets for Saving Mr. Banks Jan. 8th 2100 at AMC DTD. Seeing Saving Mr. Banks a second time free starts my New Year off very well. :cool: Thank you MM.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:32 am

Nice to know you think it's worth seeing twice. My wife and I are trying to see that (and Frozen, too, for that matter.) It seems an irrefutable law in our lives when we are able to go to the movies, nothing is playing that catches our interest, and when there are movies we want to see, we just can't make it due to schedule or healthe (we've both had heavy coughs from lingering colds over the past couple of months and refuse to subject other people to our hacking through a movie.)

Maybe this weekend!

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:05 pm

I thought saving Mr. Banks was a great movie, although I did a bit of reading later and found out that Travers was very displeased with how the movie turned out, where as saving Mr. Banks made it seem that she actually enjoyed the final product. Still, I do recognize that this is a a story with a basis in real life and not a documentary about the making of Mary Poppins, and on that basis the film was wonderful. I think Tom Hanks did an amazing job of capturing Walt's mannerisms and speech patterns, enough that I was able to suspend belief and watch the film as if it was Walt and not Tom up there on the screen.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:33 pm

I liked it too. you just have to read up on travers and see how she really felt about it.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:04 am

The Movie did make everything seem much nicer than it probably was-* Plot Spoiler Ahead*

I came out of it feeling very sympathetic to Travers despite the fact she was documented to be unreasonable with HUGE control issues. I think that the point of the movie beside keeping us interested is that in our lives we can look back and remember the Good and move forward, rather than become mired in what was terrible. This was what really made me cry, having lost both Parents recently and having difficult relationships with both.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:47 am

Here's something to dry those tears.

Flying Snow Dog

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:17 am

ah Chihuahua!
[youtube][/youtube]