The end is near

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

The end is near

Post by CptnSkippy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:28 pm

So, working parking at Epcot, I managed to meet Chloe. Apparently this guest is known to those normally at the park, however for an EHH like me, I got inaugurated.

The first thing that caught my attention was the "Service Animal" that was pulling the owner down my crosswalk. Then as the person got closer, I noticed the bright pink "Medical alert" vest as this dog was clawing and pulling.

That's when Chloe started talking to me about the apocoplypse and how it's snowing in Cairo. Mind you, Chloe is wearing a sequin top, nicely manicured red nails, a Tink jacket and has a deeper/rougher voice than the gruffest New York cop on foot patrol in the city.

As this conversation is going on, I'm looking around for the other CMs to see if this is a joke. Unfortunately, they're all either purposely not looking my direction or it just seemed that way. The discussion went on for 15 or so minutes about the flooding and how the recent storms affected my hometown area. Then Chloe decided it was time to go and off they went.

Ohhhhhkkaayyy.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: The end is near

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:30 pm

She'd fit right in to Halloween in Lahaina.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:00 am

EHH?

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:53 am

Extra Hours Hotline --seems to be my nickname wherever I pick up.

Oh are you our EHH? Here's your broom.

I see you picked up for cashier, but since you're EHH, we're going to have you bus tables.

My favorite is my home location when the managers ask, " hi, I see you're our EHH today, what's your home park?
Here, I'm seasonal.
Right but where are you normally statused?
With you. I picked up EHH because I got scheduled 0 hours when I offered full availability.

Luckily there's always shifts out there, and bouncing around makes it fun.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Wait. Zazu, you didn't know what EHH was?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:23 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Wait. Zazu, you didn't know what EHH was?
Of course, but I'd never heard it used as a personal noun before. Thought it might be something new.

That, plus I've never used it. I only sort of work for Disney. Last shift was 3 November, and none in sight.

Not that I'm complaining, not at all! The pay loss is trivial (as you all know), but so long as the discounts hold, I'm good.

Ah, the joys of being CR!

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Yeah. I am thinking about coming back seasonal myself. And that makes sense.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:19 pm

It seems that Seasonal Cast are getting more shifts/hours than part time cast lately.

They finally got smart and changed the rules requiring 150 hrs of work per year from Seasonal Cast. In the past, I know a lot of seasonal cast that would call up and say that they would be available for say a week. This date to that. They would schedule a single shift at the start of their "work vacation" and never work another shift that week. The manager would mark them available for that whole week (so they could pick up more hours) but instead the seasonal CM got a week's pass for just 6 or 8 hrs of work.

With the new system, you are not on schedule -- no entry on stage or backstage for you.

Also, now the managers and labor peeps are tracking CT (Seasonal) very closely. So if you do not work your allotted time before the deadline(s), oops not a CM at all.

For part time CM (known as CR), your hours are being tracked closely now but to ensure that you have no claim to full time status (FT) and the associated benefits. So, if you have worked more than the allowed time (or are close to it) to be considered FT, you are blocked from getting scheduled by labor. And in most cases, blocked from EHH too.

If you are a CR that is no where near the cap, call labor and your management team. Let them know you would love to pitch in during the BUSY season. Don't mind working the marathon, and you have the current certifications, let them know.

That is the other thing that you must be very aware of....keeping your certs in good standing. Depending on your role, you must have worked that role in X amount of days to be currently certified. System changed?? Well, you need to get trained again for that role. For most CRs, that means "oops you are not certified...we will put you on the list". This is known as "you lost your certs". You will only we able to pick up shifts that you either have different current certs for or are untrained. This is one reason that one should always work more often in your trained areas than demanded -- then there is no doubt that your certs are current.

Oh, and if I were a CT, I would track every minute that I worked. Keep print outs of your week to date totals from Work Brain every week you work. Why? Well, to have documentation that you have satisfied the current requirements (what ever they are at that moment).

BW, I think it would be great to have a former CM of your quality back with the Disney family. We need good quality people like yourself...yeah, I cannot say what I think of what casting has been hiring lately. :hysterical:

mapo

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Yeah, mapo, I am not sure how I am going to make it work. It's just a thought that I have in the back of my head right now. Of course, I have a couple things that may open up that were never available before, and if they do then I would be full-time again.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 am

So, it's probably considered proprietary, but does Disney release the numbers of CMs in each category at WDW? Just reading mapo's post, I found myself wondering what the mix between full-time, part-time and seasonal was. Last I heard the total CM count was something like 60,000, I think. Just curious if anyone knows and it's okay to share.