Saving Mr Banks

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by Zazu » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:51 am

She may be dead, but she's not gone. The film was based in part on over seven hours of recorded story sessions. Stay through the credits and you'll hear her original remarks ... and attitude.

I think the film (largely thanks to the biography that was also a major source) made an honest attempt to put her attiude in the proper perspective of her personal history. A courtesy not always offered to Persons Of Attitude.

I've studied what history exists to know that much of the film was as accurate as might be, considering the constraints and demands of the media. I'm also aware of what sections were fabricated or modified for theatrical purposes, and I don't think they did any serious disservice to the memories of either Travers or Disney.

Biographical histories are always going to be difficult, just as it's difficult to understand the motives of any historical person, recent or ancient. I think this film did a good job of staying true to the facts and personalities, while also telling a good enough story to make it watchable.

I saw "Mary Poppins" on its first release. I was awed. Today, I'm still impressed by the technologies that were introduced in that film, and by some outstanding performances, particularly Andrews and Tomlinson. Time has made more obvious the flaws, or at least the primitive nature of some of the effects and technologies, but that awareness does not detract from the story. Today, with "Saving Mr. Banks" and the publications it was inspired by and which it generated, we can see "Mary" in a new light, one that adds some depth to the original story, and more than a bit of poignancy.

Was it an accurate biography? Of course not. Films have their own internal logic, and their own commercial requirements, and unlike real life, must be logical. I think better questions are: Was it an honest biography? and Was it a good and worthy story?

For me, the answer is yes on both counts.
:MaryPoppins:
Of course, Travers would have hated this film too, but perhaps now we can better understand why.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Zazu wrote:She may be dead, but she's not gone. The film was based in part on over seven hours of recorded story sessions. Stay through the credits and you'll hear her original remarks ... and attitude.

I think the film (largely thanks to the biography that was also a major source) made an honest attempt to put her attiude in the proper perspective of her personal history. A courtesy not always offered to Persons Of Attitude.

I've studied what history exists to know that much of the film was as accurate as might be, considering the constraints and demands of the media. I'm also aware of what sections were fabricated or modified for theatrical purposes, and I don't think they did any serious disservice to the memories of either Travers or Disney.

Biographical histories are always going to be difficult, just as it's difficult to understand the motives of any historical person, recent or ancient. I think this film did a good job of staying true to the facts and personalities, while also telling a good enough story to make it watchable.

I saw "Mary Poppins" on its first release. I was awed. Today, I'm still impressed by the technologies that were introduced in that film, and by some outstanding performances, particularly Andrews and Tomlinson. Time has made more obvious the flaws, or at least the primitive nature of some of the effects and technologies, but that awareness does not detract from the story. Today, with "Saving Mr. Banks" and the publications it was inspired by and which it generated, we can see "Mary" in a new light, one that adds some depth to the original story, and more than a bit of poignancy.

Was it an accurate biography? Of course not. Films have their own internal logic, and their own commercial requirements, and unlike real life, must be logical. I think better questions are: Was it an honest biography? and Was it a good and worthy story?

Of course, Travers would have hated this film too, but perhaps now we can better understand why.
yeah, I always sit thru the credits for stuff, and when the work tapes started playing, I thought, here is a rehash, but the travers voice wasn't of Thompson that played travers. so I sat and listened while everyone left the theatre. and I think, wow, bits of a real work tape.
only other work tapes I have heard were of peggy lee doing the cats and paul frees mansion work tapes.
so this was nice. I wish Disney would release more vault stuff.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Zazu wrote:She may be dead, but she's not gone. The film was based in part on over seven hours of recorded story sessions. Stay through the credits and you'll hear her original remarks ... and attitude.

Now I am even more excited to see this movie. Thank you Zazu. :biggrin:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:40 am

As I understand it, the screen writer wrote it independent of Disney and it remained unproduced for a long time since shortly after completing it, she realized that no one other than Disney would want to produce it since even if it wasn't completely complementary, it provided publicity for Disney and their movie.

Of course, since Disney eventually picked it up, I'm sure that they sanitised some parts, but from what I hear it's not too bad, especially given how these things generally go. I know Hanks thought Disney should be shown smoking as he did, but that was felt to be inappropriate. All he eventually got was a scene where he's stubbing out a cigarett.

Some elements are pretty much directly from primary sources. Some are made up whole cloth. That's pretty typical these days for anything based on true events.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:46 am

Here's a little more background, confirming WEDFan's info:

In this interview -- which is hilarious, by the way -- Tom Hanks also confirms that the script did not originate in-house. The script was shopped to the company, and Bob Iger felt like Disney didn't have much choice but to make the film, because the only alternatives would be to let another studio do a film portraying Walt Disney, or to prevent the movie from being made at all, which would make them look even worse.

Spoiler -- highlight to read:
I loved the pictures of the actual people -- P.L. Travers, Walt, the Sherman brothers -- and the recording during the credits, which did as much as anything to confirm the truth of the script. But what really brought tears to my eyes, and not in a happy way, was what happened during the film a couple of times: Walt's hacking cough. <sniff>

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:52 pm

True, if Walt was in better health he would have seen fantastic things happen to his parks.

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Regarding the smoking, according an interview I saw with Hanks, the MPAA gives any movie where a character is smoking an automatic R rating, so they couldn't show Walt smoking.

Hanks also said that there are photos of Walt pointing with two fingers, and that the reason he was pointing with two fingers was because a cigarette had been airbrushed out. I don't know if that was true, but it does make me wonder how much of it contributes to the origin of the Disney point.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:22 pm

As far as pictures where a cigarette has been airbrushed out of Walt's hands, this is true. One I know for sure is on one of the ships. They also airbrushed out the smoke.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:48 am

Big Wallaby wrote:As far as pictures where a cigarette has been airbrushed out of Walt's hands, this is true. One I know for sure is on one of the ships. They also airbrushed out the smoke.
This one:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:12 am

Yup.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?