Perimeter Fireworks and Road Closures

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Perimeter Fireworks and Road Closures

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:15 pm

HEHEHEHE

okay, my story is about a close friend who is a police officer on a local department.

Every year, his city has a big number of 4th of july events, and everyone on his department, and some outside agencies, work crowd and traffic control. we usually took his wife and kids with us and carpooled.

one year, his last task was at a traffic control position after the big fireworks show. the position was at an area where four main streets merged into one road that lead to the freeway. he had a couple of officers from another department helping him, they would let ten vehicles from each "lane" go, then the next lane and so forth.

we had parked near there and were waiting for him to end shift, so we could take him to the station and check out. (marked cars were spread thin and would take a long time to get picked up)

as he was directing traffic, one of the officers from another department had started using a road flare to direct traffic, as the batteries in his light had given out.

In the middle of ten vehicle from another lane merging, a jeep from that officers lane decided to just go and drove through the intersection, almost hitting that officer. almost immediately, probably through frustration, he threw the lighted flare at the jeep.

if bounced off the roof and landed on the spare tire and gas can on the tailgate. and continued to drive off.

my friend put the cap on the nights activities by yelling " that was f(frigging) awesome!"

the jeep driver never complained. (the flare did fall off about a block away) :lol:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:33 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:... he threw the lighted flare at the jeep.

if bounced off the roof and landed on the spare tire and gas can on the tailgate. and continued to drive off.

my friend put the cap on the nights activities by yelling " that was f(frigging) awesome!"

the jeep driver never complained. (the flare did fall off about a block away) :lol:
Ha! Part of me is glad no one was hurt, but most of me kind of wanted the jeep to become part of the fireworks show.
:Explode-04-june:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:40 pm

BRWombat wrote: Ha! Part of me is glad no one was hurt, but most of me kind of wanted the jeep to become part of the fireworks show.
:Explode-04-june:
Why? That Jeep did nothing wrong! The driver however...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Ninety-nine percent of the Jeeps here on Maui are rentals. The drivers, apparently, are living out the Rat Patrol fantasies as evidenced by their driving skills. The best place to see them in action is at a beach about five mile south of Lahaina.. The sand goes right up to the highway making it very easy to pull off the road to park.

The sand is also very, very soft which leads to daily stuck vehicles. It's usually a lot of the rental Jeeps which proves the old adage, the difference between a good four wheel drive vehicle and a bad four wheel vehicle is, the good one will get you in farther before you get stuck.

I was out biking one morning and, passing by the same beach, saw something through the trees that didn't look right. I went back and discovered a car that was partially submerged. It appeared that someone decided to drive down to the water line late at night, got their drink on and were surprised that the car was suddenly under water due to the rising tide.

Seeing no one around and worried about gas and oil getting dumped in the water, I called the police.

Me to 911 dispatcher: Hi. I'm just south of Olowalu and found a car in the ocean.

Dispatcher: What?!?!

Me: There's a car on the beach. The tide has come in. The car is partially submerged.

Dispatcher: We'll send somebody out.

Ten minutes later three police cars come screaming up with all their lights lit. All three cops jump out of their cars and go running into the ocean. When asked why they were so excited, one cop said that last time they found a car in the ocean there was a body floating next to it.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Reminds me of a story from Old Los Angeles when they still had streetcars:

There was a major fire, and police were redirecting traffic around the blockage. A streetcar pulled up and stopped, and most of the passengers got off.

"Hey buddy! You can't stop here. Turn left and go around the block."

"Gee officer," the motorman replied with a grin, "I don't think I can do that."

"Sure you can, just turn the damn steering wheel!"

"Steering wheel? I don't think I have one of those. You want to come up here and show me where it is?"

History does not record the rest of the conversation, but one does not expect that it resulted in the streetcar turning left, right, or any other direction.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 am

:oweye:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Zazu wrote:Reminds me of a story from Old Los Angeles when they still had streetcars:

There was a major fire, and police were redirecting traffic around the blockage. A streetcar pulled up and stopped, and most of the passengers got off.

"Hey buddy! You can't stop here. Turn left and go around the block."

"Gee officer," the motorman replied with a grin, "I don't think I can do that."

"Sure you can, just turn the damn steering wheel!"

"Steering wheel? I don't think I have one of those. You want to come up here and show me where it is?"

History does not record the rest of the conversation, but one does not expect that it resulted in the streetcar turning left, right, or any other direction.

knowing the LAPD's reputation from that time, I am surprised he didn't ticket the trolly driver! :oweye:

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am

Reminder to all who have no idea how to drive around Walt Disney World without a GPS:
GPS' DO NOT WORK ON PRIVATE PROPERTY
If you are staying at a Disney Resort, we provide transportation for YOUR convenience, not ours! Use it!

If you work anywhere at WDW, LEARN how to get home more than one way! I would say at least THREE ways to get home.

If you are not a Disney Cast Member working that day OR you are NOT doing business with Disney that day,
:facts:
****The roads belong to Walt Disney World.
****This is PRIVATE PROPERTY.
****This is NOT a place for you to short cut to your overpriced home off of Reams Road or in Windemere.

The number of DAILY car accidents and injuries is HUGE right now.

Most are Cast Members.

The most prevalent accident participants are either
"Cast vs Cast"
OR
"Someone cutting through property (trespasser) vs Cast Member."

mapo

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:18 am

Reminder