Turnstile Crash?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Turnstile Crash?

Post by hobie16 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 am

Goofyernmost wrote:Right now I am far more concerned about the pissing contest going on in our, once sane, government than the quantity of Fastpasses available at Disney.
In my eyes this sums it up.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 pm

[font=tahoma]While the House is being turdish Disney comes through.[/font][font=tahoma]Under Obamacare, Disney World Will Promote Its Part-Time Workers To Full-Time Status[/font]

[font=Calibri][font=tahoma]The happiest place on earth just got a little happier. Walt Disney Co. announced on Wednesday that it is offering full-time employment to the 427 part-time employees at its Disney World theme park in Orlando, Florida who work at least 30 hours per week — the threshold at which the Affordable Care Act requires large employers with 50 or more workers to offer basic health benefits to employees or risk paying a $2,000 per employee fine after the first 30 workers.[/font][/font]
[font=Calibri][font=tahoma]Disney already offers a level of health coverage that is acceptable under Obamacare to its full-time employees. But part-time workers, including those who work at the 30-hour cutoff set by the health law, receive more limited benefits. Instead of rolling back these workers’ hours to avoid expanding their health coverage, Disney is choosing to promote them to full-time status. “Disney wants to be proactive,” said Ed Chambers, president of the Service Trades Council union that represents tens of thousands of Orlando Disney employees, in an interview with Bloomberg News. “Disney is way out in front on this.”[/font][/font]
[font=tahoma]That’s a striking departure from some retail and service sector firms that have used Obamacare’s employee coverage requirement as an excuse to cut hours and benefits. While the vast majority of firms are not engaging in such tactics, high-profile stories about companies that do adopt that approach tend to dominate media coverage.[/font]

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:14 pm

While the House was being turdish Disney comes through.

Obamacare and Disney World: Part-Time Employees Promoted to Full-Time Status Under Affordable Care Act

[font=Arial]Under the Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," Walt Disney Co. will be promoting 427 of its part-time Walt Disney World employees to full-time status, which will provide them with more health benefits and higher pay.
[/font]

[font=Arial]"Disney wants to be proactive," Ed Chambers, president of the Service Trades Council union that represents tens of thousands of Orlando Disney employees, told Bloomberg News. "Disney is way out in front on this."

The offer was made to staff members who put in more than 1,500 hours in the past year, or more than 30 hours a week, the threshold at which employees are required to work at in order to be be offered health care coverage.

[url=http://[URL="[url]http://[URL="http://[/url][/SIZE""]http://www.hngn.com/articles/13873/2013 ... -under.htm[/URL][/font]

--- Matt King

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Right now you can, but, the plan is to do away with regular Fastpasses (praise the lord) and everyone will have to deal with just the three by the looks of things. Since it isn't announce yet and I don't think that they know for sure what will really happen when it is rolled out in fact, we can only speculate. ... I went for many, many years without any FP's and, you know what, I still had a great time.
Speculation on the future of Fastpass is fruitless at this time. The slow addition of Fastpass+ to the system is being studied very carefully, as is the number of complaints about it. I honestly don't believe that any final answers are in anyone's mind as yet. This doesn't mean that I'm optimistic that locals, much less cast members, won't be cut out of Fastpasses when all is said and done, but it's a long way from being certain as yet.

I respectfully recommend that all just wait to see how it works out, what changes get made, and how many attractions you can fit into a day once it settles down.

After that, pitchforks and torches! :roasting: :pitchfork

Of course, there's always my way: :fastpass1

Zazu

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:35 am

hobie16 wrote:While the House was being turdish Disney comes through.

Obamacare and Disney World: Part-Time Employees Promoted to Full-Time Status Under Affordable Care Act

Under the Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," Walt Disney Co. will be promoting 427 of its part-time Walt Disney World employees to full-time status, which will provide them with more health benefits and higher pay.
The same took place at DisneyLand 2 weeks ago. So many were converted to FT, even those who had not requested FT. Some CMs turned FT down.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:12 am

[font=Arial]Under the Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," Walt Disney Co. will be promoting 427 of its part-time Walt Disney World employees to full-time status, which will provide them with more health benefits and higher pay.
[/font]

[font=Arial]"Disney wants to be proactive," Ed Chambers, president of the Service Trades Council union that represents tens of thousands of Orlando Disney employees, told Bloomberg News. "Disney is way out in front on this."

The offer was made to staff members who put in more than 1,500 hours in the past year, or more than 30 hours a week, the threshold at which employees are required to work at in order to be be offered health care coverage.

[url=http://[URL="[url]http://[URL="http://[/url][/SIZE""]http://www.hngn.com/articles/13873/2013 ... -under.htm[/URL][/font]
Hasn't Disney already gotten a waiver from Obamacare? It's nice that the put folks on Full time so they can get healthcare, but why haven't they done it before now? They don't have to wait for a big government program.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:09 am

[/font]

I wish Home Depot was doing this instead of limiting all the part timers (which makes up the majority if the associates) to a strict 29 hours and if you average over that your hours will be cut. I have 16-18 hours this week and next as I averaged over the 29 hour cap. They're also getting rid of insurance coverage for part timers, which they have admitted is due to the Affordable Care Act. This means I will have to go out onto the market to find insurance.

I thought Obamacare was supposed to help the working man? How does companies eliminating full time positions and part timers losing their benefits HELP people?

I would love to be full time with Home Depot (and my management would love it too) but that isn't going to happen.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 am

Shorty82 wrote:I would love to be full time with Home Depot (and my management would love it too) but that isn't going to happen.
Costco has gotten a good rap in the press. Have you looked at them?

--- Matt King

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:22 am

hobie16 wrote:Costco has gotten a good rap in the press. Have you looked at them?
I have heard good things about them as well but I didn't think of them, not until after I was already hired elsewhere.

I actually just got hired on as a Guest Service Representative at the Mall of America. Part time but pays better than HD and apparently doesn't have the hour caps that HD has. So I'll be working at both places, HD in the morning and early afternoon and MOA in the late afternoon and evening. It took less than a week after applying to be hired with them, the quickest I've ever been hired for a job (it usually takes at least that long to be called for an interview).

I applied online last Wednesday for a couple different positions with the mall, saw that they were holding a job fair on Friday evening and late morning Saturday and while I was working during Friday's so couldn't go then I went to Saturday's. I was one of the best dressed people in there, some people just don't know how to dress for a job interview. There were people wearing old jeans, hoodies and ball caps there.

I first interviewed with one lady who asked mainly general interview questions who then passed me off to another lady who asked me questions more specific to Guest Services. I left there feeling really good about it and Monday morning the mall called asking me to come in for a second interview (they actually called just before I had to head into Best Buy for an interview there), which I scheduled for 10:00 yesterday morning. I was asked a few more questions, the job requirements was described to me in more detail and then I was offered the position.

I must have really impressed them during the interviews. My work experience is nearly all some sort of customer service so I have a lot of experience, including the almost 5 years I spent at Disney which, as we all know, is famous for its customer service (there's been books written about it even). My experience and the fact I know how to dress for a job interview helped, I'm sure.

I have orientation on the 8th and start training on the 10th. I'm looking forward to it, I think I'll really enjoy it.

So many people just don't know how to dress for a job interview. I was taught to always wear clothes that are at least one step up from what the employees of the business you are applying to wear. Which at MOA is mainly polo shirts and long pants. When I interviewed with the Home Depot it was at a central location where they were doing interviews for every store in the district. There were people in there wearing old T-shirts. A polo shirt is what HD associates wear so a button up shirt is the minimum one should wear to an interview with them IMO. I wore to all my interviews (HD, MOA, Best Buy, etc.) a nice pair of dress pants, a nice long sleeve dress shirt and a coordinated tie. I looked sharp if I do say so myself. First impressions count and taking the time to dress up shows you care.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:46 am

Shorty82 wrote:So many people just don't know how to dress for a job interview.
My wife is involved in a group that does a number of charitable things throughout the year. One is what they call Keiki (Children) Christmas. It's original intent was to provide toys to a limited number of kids at the local family in transition center.

Two years ago the group got a tour of the facility and saw that there was a lot more kids in need then they realized were there. There was also a need to expand from just toys to basic family needs like soap, etc. They rounded up the money, got community donations, and were able to provide each family with a large bag of basic necessities while still giving out toys.

To determine what each kid wanted the center's staff would round up requests and forward them on. On the list last year was a request for an iron. Thinking there must have been a mistake the group investigated. They determined that one teenager had taken a class on how to get and keep a job. One of the things stressed in the class was, show up at the interview in a pressed shirt or blouse.

After hearing that a few of us made some calls to set up some interviews. One person I talked to said after hearing the story she didn't need to interview the girl. All she needed to do was come in and she'd be hired.

Pretty neat what a few minutes with an iron will do.

--- Matt King