Where to Eat?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Where to Eat?

Post by Darksin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks for the input! **Done in a Johnny5 voice**

Crap, my age is showing again.

A lot of these I've eaten at before but as I said, not for good long while. Due to my vastly picky eating and minor allergies some I do just avoid for simplicity but we always enjoy trying new places. Plus one does get sick of "Grab sandwich, Eat, Keep Moving" although knowing us it's going to be a real challenge to make ourselves park our bottoms long enough (without getting twitchy) to eat a "sit down" meal.

Several of your suggestions have always been really enjoyable places but it's so hard to get in when we normally go without a long wait-time or reservation (Late Sept-Early Oct) and frankly we're horrible at planning. Generally going with a "Well I don't feel like Disney today.. let's go to (Different Park)". Outside of knowing how long we're going to be in town, we generally don't plan anything strict and prefer to keep our plans very flexible. So making ADR's is difficult to say the least!

We'll try to figure it out but knowing how we operate, it'll probably get blown all to hell anyway ;)

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 am

Darksin wrote:Due to my vastly picky eating and minor allergies some I do just avoid for simplicity but we always enjoy trying new places.
Sometimes alergies can be an asset in dining! :D: If you make a reservation and let them know at the time about any alergies, the chefs often seem to take that as a challenge and prepare some extraordinary food. I know most everyone who visits somewhat frequently know you can make them aware of alergies, but what I never realized until travelling with someone having them was how creative the chefs can get to meet these special needs. It was really a great expereince for our friend.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am

True but mine are mostly a cross-contamination issue which seems to be a bigger problem sometimes then the allergy its-self.

Well to explain it I'm allergic to most seafood (due to the iodine contents) and seriously allergic to all forms of shellfish. It's not really a deadly allergy, it's more along the lines of annoying 75% of the time and easily managed with medication. However it's that other 25% that will land my butt in the hospital for a Diphan *medical grade benadryl shot and a dose of steroids. Those have mostly been caused when someone sees "No Shellfish" and then just decided to (probably) pick said shrimp off a salad that was already contaminated. While my husband loves seafood, it's just become easier to avoid places who serve large numbers of shellfish (example, RedLobster). Although a table service restaurant at Disney I'd be more inclined to trust versus the local Red Lobster.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Darksin wrote:True but mine are mostly a cross-contamination issue which seems to be a bigger problem sometimes then the allergy its-self.
Yeah, but that's a case of cluelessness in the kitchen. I've spoken to some of the chefs about the issue (my father had a major peanut allergy), and they explain that there's a separate station used for such orders, and they generally use a new pan. (Not so extravagent, we go through a *lot* of pans in a year.) Disney's goal is zero contamination, and we usually do pretty well.

I have a friend who's allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, gluten, and soy; she has diverticulitus, diabetes, plus she's Vegan! She loves WDW because she knows she can eat safely anywhere, and never the same meal twice.

So yes, *do* mention your allergies when booking. If that flag is on your reservation, you'll meet one of the chefs -- even in buffet restaurants -- and they'll Do the Right Thing.

Zazu

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Zazu wrote:...
I have a friend who's allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, gluten, and soy; she has diverticulitus, diabetes, plus she's Vegan! ....
... I'm sitting here trying to figure out what's left for her to eat ... :eek:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:20 am

Zazu wrote:I have a friend who's allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, gluten, and soy; she has diverticulitus, diabetes, plus she's Vegan!
BRWombat wrote:... I'm sitting here trying to figure out what's left for her to eat ... :eek:
Last table we shared at Brown Derby, the chef grilled slices of portobello mushrooms the size of two hands, layered it with beefsteak tomatos with the seeds removed, unidentified greens, and smothered it with balsamic vinegar and berries.

"Oh wow! That looks really good!" my friend exclaimed.

"I sure hope so," the chef replied, "Three other tables just ordered it after seeing me walk by."

Zazu

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Zazu wrote:Last table we shared at Brown Derby, the chef grilled slices of portobello mushrooms the size of two hands, layered it with beefsteak tomatos with the seeds removed, unidentified greens, and smothered it with balsamic vinegar and berries.
Not only did it look good, it sounds really good after the fact. :D:

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:54 am

Minus the mushrooms and that does sound really good!

Mmmm.. I may have to make myself one of those!