New Gate free turnstiles

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: New Gate free turnstiles

Post by drcorey » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 pm

BriDon51 wrote:I am with Geico and adding a newer car and deleting a car my quote was $478 fro 6 months.

I prices=d Allstate, esurance and State Farm all their prices were close to $750 for same coverage.

so.... in my case Geico saves me money
try progressive

Corey

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:37 pm

If you're old enough to join AARP, look into The Hartford.

Don't ask me how I know.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:48 pm

hobie16 wrote:If you're old enough to join AARP, look into The Hartford.

Don't ask me how I know.
That's what I went too and I'm not afraid to say it is because I am a fossil. But, I am a fossil that is saving money. So Ha-Ha! :D: There has to be some reward to getting older and trust me here, there aren't very many. :(

:goofy: :goofy:

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:22 pm

hobie16 wrote:If you're old enough to join AARP, look into The Hartford.

Don't ask me how I know.
Maybe I should have tried joining instead of throwing out their letters. For the longest time I would regularly receive letters from AARP asking me to join despite the fact I was only in my 20's at the time. The only reason they stopped is because I called them a few times to get taken off their mailing list. After a while I got tired of receiving them and sending them to me was a waste of paper and postage.

Once I'm an old fogey and eligible to join they'll be welcome to mail me but that's 30 years down the road.

I'm with Geico and while I've been happy with the service my deductible sucks (I'll admit I don't have the best driving record). Back in September someone tried to pry my driver side door open, bending the top way out. Geico got me taken care of, got the car into a good shop quickly and provided a rental while it got fixed but I had to pay a $1,000 deductible (for $1,300 in damages!). The worst part is the car was damaged just before I got termed from Disney and I had to pick it up and pay the deductible a few days after being termed, killing what savings I had.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 pm

AARP membership is something like $40 for five years. After joining your mailbox will fill up with their magazine and flyers. The payoff is car, homeowners, and life insurance. There's a decent discount if you combine car and homeowners policies. They probably have renters policies too.

I got hustled by another company last year. They quoted a really low rate compared to Hartford. But, the devil was in the details. They demanded an alarm system be installed that was connected to a central station. Once the monthly alarm fee was added the price was about 10 percent higher. Plus, once in their office, it was like getting the full court Amway become-a-dealer hustle.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

goofy1978
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by goofy1978 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm

GaTechGal wrote:I have a question - could you inadvertently purchase something by standing too close to some check out type location? Or could some theif have a reader of some sort and scan the information off the chip and be able to clone it and purchase stuff? I know this sounds stupid, but it's sort of my fear.
The bands, like the new KTTW RFID cards, only hold a random number that is linked to an encrypted database at the back end. NO CC or room information of any kind is kept on the band. In addition, Disney has now stated that the policy will be that you MUST set up a pin for any purchase with the wrist band. So even if someone gets the number from your band, they could not make purchases without knowing your pin, and could not access any other information about you without having direct database access as well. Should be pretty secure.

I guess one issue with the system is the fact that there will be RFID readers that we cannot see that will track almost anywhere you go in the parks. Visit a shop, restaurant, or a ride, and an entry is made that you went there. I don't want an email or text when I enter a store talking about the specials for that day. That would be too intrusive to me, but some will like it. So we will have to see what they do with this information in the future!

Kevin

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 am

goofy1978 wrote:I guess one issue with the system is the fact that there will be RFID readers that we cannot see that will track almost anywhere you go in the parks. Visit a shop, restaurant, or a ride, and an entry is made that you went there. I don't want an email or text when I enter a store talking about the specials for that day. That would be too intrusive to me, but some will like it. So we will have to see what they do with this information in the future!
Hopefully those kind of features would be established through preferences. It would be annoying to get a text when I took a shortcut through a store! :D:

In general, I don't have any issues with them tracking me on property to try and understand guest patterns. I'm not sure how much they would get from my wife and me -- Liesurely and seemingly random including 2 - 6 park entries per day. :eek:

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am

The Orlando Sentinal has a small blurb about the new "turnstiles", with a picture, today. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-dail ... 0622.story

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 am

At some point someone will gather up a bag full of wrist bands and carry them through an RFID reader location which would flash mob the system.

--- Matt King

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 pm

My mom was mentioning me about the band. She said instead of pulling out a credit card, you can have your credit card info on the band? I still think I would rather purchase everything with my credit card. Sorry it has been a while since I have been on.