Wondering about Disney Cruises

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Wondering about Disney Cruises

Post by WEDFan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks, Delsdad and BRW. I appreciate getting the perspectives.

So, what is the dress code for Palo and Remy? Jacket, tie, jacket and tie?

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

I've been on 2 Disney cruises, and sailing again in Aug. DCL is a great cruise line, and I will continue to sail with them

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:48 am

I think Syndrome is delightfully busy with her writing for Examiner. I am always seeing her Facebook posts about stuff she's doing. My favorite was the other day at Sea World where she was sitting next to a penguin. I'll send her a message that she is missed around here.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

WEDFan wrote:Thanks, Delsdad and BRW. I appreciate getting the perspectives.

So, what is the dress code for Palo and Remy? Jacket, tie, jacket and tie?
Definitely a jacket, many gentlemen wear a tie. I've seen someone turned away for trying to wear shorts to dinner at Palo. Many ladies wear cocktail dresses, and many wear slacks with a dressy blouse.

We just finished our 6th DCL cruise in August and absolutely love them. We've only had kids with us on 2 cruises, and we find it's easy to get away from the hordes of children (and other adults). There are lots of nooks and crannies where you can hide out. Castaway Cay (Disney's island) has lots of activities at various levels of physical activity. I keep saying I'm going to take a nice long nap or two on our next cruise, but I haven't been able to yet. Too much to see and do. Try one of the shorter cruises to get your feet wet (pun intended) and see if cruising is for you.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 pm

WEDFan wrote:So, what is the dress code for Palo and Remy? Jacket, tie, jacket and tie?
For Palo, a jacket really should be worn for dinner, but isn't needed for brunch. For Remy, I would have felt underdressed without both jacket and tie.

But that's me, I'm sort of biased toward the formal for such events. If in doubt, call the restaurant and ask!

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:I think Syndrome is delightfully busy with her writing for Examiner. I am always seeing her Facebook posts about stuff she's doing. My favorite was the other day at Sea World where she was sitting next to a penguin. I'll send her a message that she is missed around here.
Tonight she was busy with me and our SOs "examining" the food truck rally's offerings in Celebration. She sends her regards, but regrets that she can't remember her password.

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Zazu wrote:She sends her regards, but regrets that she can't remember her password.
It's not like she doesn't know any admins. ;)

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:21 am

All great info. I really don't mind the idea of more formal attire, my problem is that I really need custom tailored shirts, and I wear a tie so infrequently that I haven't been motivated to find a source. Basically, if I buy a shirt to fit my neck I end up with extra material around the waist. It seems most people with my neck size have a greater girth (and I don't claim to be small around the belt!) Therefore, I comporomise and the tie is generally a bit tight. For the few times I need it, not a huge deal.

So, for the cruisers in the bunch, what are you favorite parts/activities?

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:42 am

WEDFan wrote: So, for the cruisers in the bunch, what are you favorite parts/activities?
Every cruise seems to have a different favorite. On our first cruise, it was the night that my daughter and I went to the pool for a late night swim, and sat in the hot tub watching one of the Disney nature films start to finish. Hardly anyone on deck. Then grabbing a pizza Slice with her at 11pm, and in a conspiratorial tone she said "Don't tell Mom!". On another cruise, it was adult time in the Skyline martini bar. yet another time it was watching my wife and daughter return after completing the Castaway Cay 5k, medals in hand.

The martini and wine tastings are fun. The bartender hosting the tasting puts their own spin on the activity, so its always different. Finding a quiet alcove in a public area to read a book, while enjoying the view of the sea. Watching the dining room CMs pamper my daughter, truly treating her like a princess. Encountering characters in unusual places. DD happening upon goofy on the basketball court on the Dream, she ended up playing 1 on 1 with him for at least 20 minutes. She danced all over the atrium lobby with Capt hook one evening. Claudette the bartender who made DD a special original recipe smoothie as a treat every night. Our waiter teaching DD how to draw Pluto after dinner one evening. They drew him ON THE TABLECLOTH! Then scrambled to hide the drawing from the head waiter...

I could go on and on. While the cruise might be expensive for most of us, the value for what you are spending is immense. Imagine the very best interaction you have had with a Cm or character at WDW. Then fill a ship with those interactions. We were joined by our dear friends on our 5 night cruise in April. They were so blown away that they booked the 15 night transatlantic this coming spring while on board.

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Our problem is saving for trips. I know you pay for everything in advance for the cruises but we haven't paid off the last three trips. Maybe I will catch up with some holiday OT.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]