'Selective Demolition' for Wonders of Life

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

'Selective Demolition' for Wonders of Life

Post by Darksin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Well, I can't say I'm surprised but I am rather disappointed this pavilion never got a second chance at life with the same theme rather then something as silly as Habit Heroes.

Not entirely sure what is going on but apparently 'Selective Demolition' is just a fluffy word for "We're gutting the damn building". I sure hope someone saves Buzzy from the wreckage though!

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/web/login.jsp
Link to the permit filed.

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: 'Selective Demolition' for Wonders of Life

Post by WEDFan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm

I do miss Cranium Command. It was always a "must do" when I visited during the pavillion's life.

Wonder what they'll do with the space, though.

SG I Yam
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SG I Yam » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Have you been in there lately? It's pretty sad. It only seems to be used for event space, and even then it's only 25% used. They could (and probably should) use World Showplace.

Disney Archives got over 50 items from Snow White after it closed, so I'd hope they'd at least grab Buzzy...

(Then re-imagine something for the motion simulators, and get 'em into Tomorrowland! :D: )

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 am

As far as I'm aware, the BodyWars attraction has been completely gutted into a shell of it's former self over time to support Star Tours. Rather then making/ordering new parts they just gutted the sister attraction. There is also the small problem that the roof has been leaking for years, it's pretty damn visible anytime your actully inside the pavilion and look up to where the old Met Life mobile used to be. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they took down most of the building, leaving only a fraction of it up and using that as a base rather then getting a full demolition permit. Most of it has been used as nothing but storage since 2006.

Still sad, "Health and Wellness" is a theme that could be well done (and badly needed in this day and age) if more time and thought was spent on it rather then rushing something threw like Habit Heroes was.

I still miss Buzzy though.

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:21 am

Maybe we can get some New Horizons in that SPACE...

I know, never gonna happen, but if we can dream it...

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:30 pm

"If you build it.. they will come"
...and we would. In spades.. with money to buy lots of stuff.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Darksin wrote:"If you build it.. they will come"
...and we would. In spades.. with money to buy lots of stuff.
Does this also come under the heading of "where were you when I needed you"? WoL would still be spinning away if it had the numbers of people needed to save it. Too little, too late! But, mostly too little! Also, many of the inner attractions were age specific. Body Wars = Tweens and up as was Cranium Command, but the other stuff was aimed at 5 to 12 year olds. Not enough for the older folk to do other than be reminded of how out of shape were were all keeping ourselves. :(

:goofy: :goofy:

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 pm

To be honest I spent money at Wonders of Life everytime while it was open, back then it was one of the few places you could get fresh fruits and juices other then the Land. Even being a teenager at the time, I've never been much of a soda drinker, so I used to load up on juice and tea there and at Land. I enjoyed the attractions even if they where a bit childish, the same way most adults still enjoy Magic Kingdom. Problem is in the 90's health wasn't really that big of a public 'concern' that I can remember but I do remember Wonders of Life often being VERY crowded. Body Wars had HUGE lines during the summers and even during the slow season it was always 10-20 minutes, that's why I've always had a hard time figuring out why exactly it closed outside of loosing it's sponsor (which we know tends to be a death blow in Epcot).

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Darksin wrote:To be honest I spent money at Wonders of Life everytime while it was open, back then it was one of the few places you could get fresh fruits and juices other then the Land. Even being a teenager at the time, I've never been much of a soda drinker, so I used to load up on juice and tea there and at Land. I enjoyed the attractions even if they where a bit childish, the same way most adults still enjoy Magic Kingdom. Problem is in the 90's health wasn't really that big of a public 'concern' that I can remember but I do remember Wonders of Life often being VERY crowded. Body Wars had HUGE lines during the summers and even during the slow season it was always 10-20 minutes, that's why I've always had a hard time figuring out why exactly it closed outside of loosing it's sponsor (which we know tends to be a death blow in Epcot).
I had a completely different experience. Every time I went in the later years the place was empty. I rode Body Wars with no more then 10 people in the cabin and Cranium never had over 6 people in at one time. Everything is likely to have long lines in the summer, but that's only three months out of the year. It has to have support the other 9 months as well. I will admit that I usually only went there in late February or early March. It was usually like a ghost town. :(

:goofy: :goofy:

Roxane
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Roxane » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:11 am

A few years back WoL was open during the Christmas season. I'm so glad I had that last chance to ride Body Wars again. It was always one of my favorites.