"Walt Would NEVER Approve", My A$$!!! (Rant)

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: "Walt Would NEVER Approve", My A$$!!! (Rant)

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:20 pm

I first went to Disneyland in 1970, prior to that I had watched the Mickey Mouse Club and World of Color on television.

The attractions that I first experienced were great, and I will always remember that day. but over time, the entertainment industry has gotten quite advanced at their art.

So I think Disney, and all the manifestations of Disney, MUST change with their target audience of children of all ages. People will keep coming back, as teens, then young adults, and later with their own kids, then grandkids, etc.

its nice to see the older attractions at the parks, but I also look forward to seeing something new, and up to the Disney standards of being clever and entertaining.

and lets face it, Disney needs to make money, because they are a business.

change is good.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:07 pm

CA Screamin Dude wrote: :lecture: What we must recall is Disney's target demographic consists of 4-12-year-old boys and girls, including 24.8 million individuals in the target range or approximately 8.5% of the US population. By 2015, those figures are expect to remain 4-12/26m/5%. Disney's secondary market remains parents aged 35-55.

Because of this, there is a nearly certain chance that every person, at one point (likely for at least 23 years) in their adolescent or adult life, will be outside of Disney's primary and secondary target demos. As such, Disney will not especially be catering to these people, so one generation's "jump the shark" moment might be the cancellation of the Anthology Television Series or Vault Disney while another's might be Dumbo's Circus, Duck Tales, Kim Possible, Hannah Montana, etc.

By virtue of falling out of the target demo, many individuals will feel that Disney has gone downhill because it hasn't kept up with the individual's age, failing to realize, of course, that Disney's target demographics do not age over time. :old:
OMG...So as an old fart of 64 I am no longer in Disney's viewfinder? Do you suppose, if I ask nicely, they will return all the money that I have spent with them over the last 9 years?

:goofy: :goofy:

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by KieranDotW » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 am

I thought I also might add that many of the Disney-bashers (specifically Disney Channel-bashers) that I personally know also happen to be passionate fans of modern-day Disney-produced shows like Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls despite their out-of-target age. Go figure, just gonna leave it at that.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:OMG...So as an old fart of 64 I am no longer in Disney's viewfinder? Do you suppose, if I ask nicely, they will return all the money that I have spent with them over the last 9 years?
umm, yeah, the check is in the mail

...just wait for it....

:cool:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 am

Goofyernmost wrote:OMG...So as an old fart of 64 I am no longer in Disney's viewfinder? Do you suppose, if I ask nicely, they will return all the money that I have spent with them over the last 9 years?
Congrats! You have achieved the age when you must question if you are still loved, according to the Beatles. Hopefully you are still being fed! ;)

And, yes, I am sure Disney wouldn't want to accept any money from people outside of their target demo. You should definitely let them know they've made a mistake. :twisted:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 am

WEDFan wrote:Congrats! You have achieved the age when you must question if you are still loved, according to the Beatles. Hopefully you are still being fed! ;)

And, yes, I am sure Disney wouldn't want to accept any money from people outside of their target demo. You should definitely let them know they've made a mistake. :twisted:
Sadly, for Paul, the answer to "will you still need me, will you still feed me" was a resounding....NO!!! :(
Sadly, for myself, the same thing applied. I do, however, feed myself! Way too much! :D:

:goofy: :goofy:

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:53 pm

KieranDotW wrote:I thought I also might add that many of the Disney-bashers (specifically Disney Channel-bashers) that I personally know also happen to be passionate fans of modern-day Disney-produced shows like Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls despite their out-of-target age. Go figure, just gonna leave it at that.
I hate current Disney Channel (outside of Phineas and Ferb). I miss tv from the 90s/early-mid 2000s

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 am

Phineas and Ferb is the only thing I watch on the Disney Channel too. I think the show is brilliant.
I remember the Disney Channel had a three tier programming system. The mornings and early afternoons were for kids. The early evening had shows for families. Then at around 9pm and beyond they showed classic movies and programs that adults would enjoy (such as interviews with actors, documentaries,etc.)
I think the big demise was when they switched from being a premium pay channel to basic cable. After that they had to answer to the advertiser's.
I also dearly miss the Vault Disney and Disney Drive-In programming blocks they had. I saw the entire Spin and Marty and Annette serials to name a few.