Glow With The Show Ears

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Glow With The Show Ears

Post by drcorey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:14 pm

anyone know how to set these off away from the show?

Corey

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Re: Glow With The Show Ears

Post by KingsIslander » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm guessing it might be similar to the Pal Mickey technology maybe?

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:40 pm

I have to admit, it looks cool, seeing them add to the show like that.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm

KingsIslander wrote:I'm guessing it might be similar to the Pal Mickey technology maybe?
I think the pal mickey used a few things. sensors to tell him where he was and what track to play. and a data track to exchange data with the server system. whtch it just be wifi thou.
I'd still like to find a list of the easter eggs they programmed into him thou. did he really act pocessed when carried into a non-disney theme park?

It has to be frequences in the show soundtrack.
but I just dont want to go buy a frequence generator and try the whole spectrum. I will have to hang out in the parks at dark and see if anything else sets them off that would give me a idea.
worse comes to worse, I can ask a CM too. they prolly wont tell you how Mickey talks, but they ears should be ok.

Corey

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:45 pm

I remember reading that someone tried playing a recording and the ears didn't react. I suspect it's a wireless signal.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:00 pm

KingsIslander wrote:I remember reading that someone tried playing a recording and the ears didn't react. I suspect it's a wireless signal.
well yeqah. I guess the device is seperate.
I see they use them in the tea party night club too.

Corey

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:05 pm

When in the parking lots they should be programmed to flash orange like safety beakons!

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:09 pm

drcorey wrote:I think the pal mickey used a few things. sensors to tell him where he was and what track to play. and a data track to exchange data with the server system. whtch it just be wifi thou.
Pal Mickey uses infrared signals. The receiver is in his nose, which is why he shuts up when you stuff him into a backpack.

I don't know how he refreshes his data. I'd be surprised to learn it's wifi though. Anyone know?

And no. Pal Mickey does not gross out when you take him to Universal. Would be cool though!

Zazu

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Zazu wrote:Pal Mickey uses infrared signals. The receiver is in his nose, which is why he shuts up when you stuff him into a backpack.

I don't know how he refreshes his data. I'd be surprised to learn it's wifi though. Anyone know?

And no. Pal Mickey does not gross out when you take him to Universal. Would be cool though!
if you had a pocket controller for the ears you could really have some fun in the parks. hmm, I should rent a signal counter and go visit the parks myself. it might even be interesting using one near talking mickey too. but his channel is prolly encypted. can you imagine the fun hackers would have with that system? "ok goys and burls, lets get the fyuck out of here."

Corey

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Zazu wrote:I don't know how he refreshes his data. I'd be surprised to learn it's wifi though. Anyone know?
How often does he refresh? They might just use a proprietary radio signal but only near the gates of the park. I wouldn't think wifi would make sense either, it'd be absolute overkill and raise the price of pal mickey, he'd need a real OS running on him.

Edit: Read the patents, it's a mix of infrared and radio, with it degrading to radio when no infrared is available. All phrases are preloaded, the signal can only choose them.
So I'm betting glow with the show is simply IR that broadcasts a color value.

Kurt