Girl With No Hands Barred From SeaWorld, Universal Orlando Rides

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Girl With No Hands Barred From SeaWorld, Universal Orlando Rides

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Classic. Operator does something for safety, people blame operator for enforcement. There is no determination they can make on the spot as to the subject's ability or inability to use her extremities to "grip." Manufacturer guidelines specify one hand must be present—end of story. There is no flexibility when it comes to this safety guideline.

Operator would have been legally responsible had anything gone wrong because of the lack of hands—this has nothing to do with DOJ:ADA; there is no lawsuit in which the family can collect from: there are no legal violations for what the park did.

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:17 am

CA Screamin Dude wrote:Classic. Operator does something for safety, people blame operator for enforcement. There is no determination they can make on the spot as to the subject's ability or inability to use her extremities to "grip." Manufacturer guidelines specify one hand must be present—end of story. There is no flexibility when it comes to this safety guideline.

Operator would have been legally responsible had anything gone wrong because of the lack of hands—this has nothing to do with DOJ:ADA; there is no lawsuit in which the family can collect from: there are no legal violations for what the park did.
I would rather be inconvenienced than dead.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:54 pm

If the restraints opened, like 98% of the population wouldn't be able to hold on to those restraints if the vehicle was in an awkward position. Many people don't even hold on to the handle bars or restraints on most thrill rides anyway. I guess if the manufacturer says it isn't safe though, they have to follow the rules.

Did anyone else think it was a bit awkward to hear "people with prosthetic limbs may not ride" during most of the safety spiels at SeaWorld? That's the first time I've heard that in a safety spiel (and it plays over and over again while in line).

I'm glad Disney doesn't have these kinds of rules, then again, they don't have any similar coasters or Harry Potter. I'm so glad we can just bring our stuff onto the ride, and not deal with lockers! And people without hands or with prosthetic limbs can go on rides.