Disney to allow beards

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Disney to allow beards

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm

A number of years ago I obtained a CDL license with a passenger endorsement to drive buses. I worked a number of years driving and managing public buses and drivers.

The original purpose of the license was actually more for future use. I intended to attempt to drive bus at Disney, seasonally, after I had retired from my regular job. Situations have changed, including my home location since then, but when I was making decisions the beard issue was a, although not a deal breaker, significant consideration in my final decisions.

I have had a beard since I was 30 years old, some 33 years now. Part of my identity is connected with my beard. My look and to some extent, my personality and self image is closely connected to those silly little face hairs. I, at the time, thought I would be willing to shed them for a part time job, but found that I was way too attached (hee hee) to it to easily let it go.

Who knows, maybe I will look into it again now that I will legally be able to keep it. :old:

:goofy: :goofy:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:58 am

Big Wallaby wrote:There IS a certain charm to the Pooh in that picture, but I just have to ask... Does he freak anyone else out? There is something that was added as he aged that makes him much more gentle-looking.
Most of the early costumes are pretty creepy. That's one area of major improvement over the years.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:There IS a certain charm to the Pooh in that picture, but I just have to ask... Does he freak anyone else out? There is something that was added as he aged that makes him much more gentle-looking.
Botox and re-defined eyebrows! :D:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Oh, yeah, he freaks me out. The eyes and the expression on his face are evil looking in a way. He looks like he wants to eat children instead of hugging them or something.
You say this like it's a bad thing... :twisted:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:29 pm

NemoRanger wrote:I didnt know there was a problem finding cast members. I know there are hundreds of part time and seasonal castmembers that are begging to be made full time.
Exactly. They don't want full timers, they want CPs and part timers as they save something in the range of $5-$8 an hour in overhead on things that way. No union in the way either, and no worry of overtime.

Kurt

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 am

kurtisnelson wrote:Exactly. They don't want full timers, they want CPs and part timers as they save something in the range of $5-$8 an hour in overhead on things that way. No union in the way either, and no worry of overtime.
And I imagine it's a lot harder to get someone to part with beloved facial hair for a part-time job than it is for a full-time one.

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 pm

delsdad wrote:And I understand that they have become very progressive in their bear policies !
I miss that pooh. I have one of the bees from atop his honey pot. :)

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:Exactly. They don't want full timers, they want CPs and part timers as they save something in the range of $5-$8 an hour in overhead on things that way. No union in the way either, and no worry of overtime.
One small correction. Part-time cast are represented by Unions in roles where full-time cast are. I should know; I'm a part-timer and a shop steward.

That said, your basic premise about cost is correct. But there's also the point that CRs are more flexible, as we aren't guaranteed hours and can be moved around more easily. We provide most of the flexibility in the system, and given the varying hours and demand, such flexibility is needed.

Zazu

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Zazu wrote:One small correction. Part-time cast are represented by Unions in roles where full-time cast are. I should know; I'm a part-timer and a shop steward.
Should have separated that out better, CPs basically have no union.

Kurt

CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Though Disney's new policy is not legally connected to several pending suits against the company for discrimination relating to their former anti-facial hair policy—which means this new policy has not been mandated by judgment of suit or as a means of concession to a suit's plaintiff—it is certainly a move meant to prevent future similar suits.

Beard discrimination lawsuits have hit companies such as Domino's (several times), California Dept of Corrections, Houston Police Department, the United States Army, UPS and in 2008, Disney was sued by a Sikh entertainer for discrimination regarding the "Disney Look" and its anti-beard policy.

Domino's has lost or settled several lawsuits, ultimately dropping their beard ban as a term of one of their settlements. The US Army also lost its suit and so did the State of California. Harris County (Houston, TX) settled with a deputy, estimated total cost was around $400,000. In one instance, the Federal Government sued California over a no-beard policy.

Reasons for suit have ranged from religious discrimination to racial discrimination to violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. For instance, California has 17/18 protected classes, ranging from age (40+), color, national origin, marital status, disability, genetics, etc. Genetic discrimination can ultimately mean that requiring one person shave more often than another due to differences in rate-of-growth or consistency can be a discriminatory practice, rendering the policy untenable. For Disney, it is a lot smarter to loosen the facial hair prohibition than to leave themselves open to future legal action.