Condolensces RE: SG's on president's visit

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Condolensces RE: SG's on president's visit

Post by avengador1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 am

The Brazilians are certainly a noisy group of people. I came up with a nickname for the tour groups, I call them flag people. ;)

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 am

Side Note - On Thursday at AK Gate we were told that non-park-hoppers that got a "Crossover Not Allowed" indication were to be given an override to allow the Guests into the Park.

Epeyon
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Epeyon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:23 am

The easier travel from China and Brazil was already announced last week by the State Department. I guess they just needed a big showcase to get it any attention.

I wish he would've talked about an increase in wages for workers, not just more jobs. This whole underemployment issue in Orlando is becoming epidemic.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 am

Epeyon wrote:I wish he would've talked about an increase in wages for workers, not just more jobs. This whole underemployment issue in Orlando is becoming epidemic.
With high unemployment higher wages are not, in general, going to happen. Right now it's a buyers (employers) market. Wanna work? Here's what I'll pay ya. Don't like it? There's ten people behind ya that do.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:There are very few events for which the President belongs on Disney soil. One is the Fourth of July, swearing in the new citizens. That is very cool, and it happens before the park opens, early in the morning. I will never have a problem with it.
Don't he also come unveil the new AI on the HoP?

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Mr. D. wrote:Don't he also come unveil the new AI on the HoP?
Not for the current administration. He was too busy.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

seeing_eye_child
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by seeing_eye_child » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 am

Epeyon wrote:The easier travel from China and Brazil was already announced last week by the State Department. I guess they just needed a big showcase to get it any attention.
As much as I love WDW, I'd have to say it didn't even really qualify for "big showcase." All that disruption happened so the president could have a tourist-y backdrop for what...2 or 3 clips of 5-10 sec of footage to be edited into news reports? It's called a green screen! Ok, so maybe not appropriate for a press conference. But the light would've been just fine for the same shots in the early AM before park opening.

Caveat: I am largely a bleeding heart liberal, with only a few strong conservative streaks. I'm not in the Newt Gingrich fan club, and I don't think his remarks were terribly classy, but...

I found Newt Gingrich's much smaller press conference this week vastly amusing. He pulled no punches (spared no shame? it's late) in calling Obama on the carpet for disrupting park operations.

Going around World Showcase is like traveling in time and relative dimensions in space! :tardis:

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:38 am

seeing_eye_child wrote:As much as I love WDW, I'd have to say it didn't even really qualify for "big showcase." All that disruption happened so the president could have a tourist-y backdrop for what...2 or 3 clips of 5-10 sec of footage to be edited into news reports? It's called a green screen! Ok, so maybe not appropriate for a press conference. But the light would've been just fine for the same shots in the early AM before park opening.

Caveat: I am largely a bleeding heart liberal, with only a few strong conservative streaks. I'm not in the Newt Gingrich fan club, and I don't think his remarks were terribly classy, but...

I found Newt Gingrich's much smaller press conference this week vastly amusing. He pulled no punches (spared no shame? it's late) in calling Obama on the carpet for disrupting park operations.
How many millions of dollars of taxpayers' money was spent to fly him here plus the disruption completely closing I-4 and numerous other roads caused just so he could speak for 15 minutes? He should have at least flown into the park to avoid closing all the roads. I'm sure the amount of space his motorcade took up backstage could have easily fit Marine One, which fits into the same cargo plane that carries his motorcade.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:51 am

Shorty82 wrote:I'm sure the amount of space his motorcade took up backstage could have easily fit Marine One, which fits into the same cargo plane that carries his motorcade.
The motorcade doesn't need a 150' diameter area to land. I don't know any place backstage at MK that I can look around and see 75' of clear space in all directions, that doesn't have something else that makes it really dangerous flying. Plus, I assume the planning happens a ways out and they have to plan around any and all possible weather. Now, if they had put a barge out in front of the Magic Kingdom for him to land on surrounded by Lake Patrol boats, that would have made an awesome picture.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:The motorcade doesn't need a 150' diameter area to land. I don't know any place backstage at MK that I can look around and see 75' of clear space in all directions, that doesn't have something else that makes it really dangerous flying. Plus, I assume the planning happens a ways out and they have to plan around any and all possible weather. Now, if they had put a barge out in front of the Magic Kingdom for him to land on surrounded by Lake Patrol boats, that would have made an awesome picture.
They could probably have landed in Park 1, but they needed that space for the bypass.

Kurt