I'm back!!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: I'm back!!

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:37 pm

ktulu wrote:She won't ask, she'll just use the mirrors attached to her shoes...
OMG Ktulu!!! Thought lady's shoes were a secret? Guess not anymore. :D:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm

hobie16 wrote:Here's another one. What was the reply when Mel Gibson asked one of the extras what he was wearing under his kilt on the Braveheart shoot?
Ok, so I have heard that, just not in that particular situation. lol
WEDFan wrote:Just remember, Lady Ulrike, a lady would never ask and a gentleman would never tell. ;)

(As someone who occasionally wears a kilt)
Who asked? I didn't ask. Besides, I am a lady, I have papers to prove it. ;)
ktulu wrote:She won't ask, she'll just use the mirrors attached to her shoes...
Who needs mirrors? Most kilt wearing men will happily show you what's under their kilt, whether you wanted to know or not.
WEDFan wrote:The only other Scottish advice I ever got came to me by way of a gentleman from the Isle of Skye. He provided the chastisement "Scotch is a drink wot a man drinks, and a Scott is a man wot drinks it." Now, I don't know if it's universal, but I'd be cautious of using Scotch as an adjective. :D:
Who used it as an adjective? I said Scottish, would never call a Scottishman a Scotch, that's just silly. :)
Main Streeter wrote:OMG Ktulu!!! Thought lady's shoes were a secret? Guess not anymore. :D:
Thanks for defending me, sorta, MS.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm

I think the best explanation of what's under a kilt came from a Scot who explained, "If ye wear summat under, it's nae a kilt, it's a skirt!"

Zazu

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 am

lady ulrike wrote: Who asked? I didn't ask. Besides, I am a lady, I have papers to prove it. ;)
That reminds me. I need to get in contact with Mistress Tetchubah and make arrangements to somehow get my AoA Scroll... Only sixteen years after I got the award...

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:19 am

lady ulrike wrote:Who asked? I didn't ask. Besides, I am a lady, I have papers to prove it. ;)
Who used it as an adjective? I said Scottish, would never call a Scottishman a Scotch, that's just silly. :)
Sorry for any confusion... I was not in any way shape or form accusing anyone here of doing either of those things. Just sharing from my extremely limited pool of life experience as it pertains to Scotts. I certainly never doubted your status as a Lady. Says so right in your user name! ;)

(Technically calling a Scottish man a Scotch would be using it as a noun, which I would never have imagined due to silliness. I was being warned against things such as a Scotch kilt or a Scotch town, although thinking about it, a Scotch town is possible and completely desirable :D: )

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:56 pm

WEDFan wrote:Sorry for any confusion... I was not in any way shape or form accusing anyone here of doing either of those things. Just sharing from my extremely limited pool of life experience as it pertains to Scotts.
Still not right: The "Scots" are the folk who live in Scotland. "Scotts" lives in the bathroom.

Zazu

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 pm

CBeilby wrote:That reminds me. I need to get in contact with Mistress Tetchubah and make arrangements to somehow get my AoA Scroll... Only sixteen years after I got the award...
Yeah, I got mine darn close to 20 years ago and still haven't gotten my scroll. Of course, I've also been super inactive.
WEDFan wrote:Sorry for any confusion... I was not in any way shape or form accusing anyone here of doing either of those things. Just sharing from my extremely limited pool of life experience as it pertains to Scotts. I certainly never doubted your status as a Lady. Says so right in your user name! ;)

Apology accepted. Mostly I was just giving you a hard time, I do that :)

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 pm

lady ulrike wrote:Yeah, I got mine darn close to 20 years ago and still haven't gotten my scroll. Of course, I've also been super inactive.
Wow...talk about inter-kingdom cultural differences. Is that normal for you guys, that an IOU would be given out instead of a scroll? And that the backlog would take decades to clear up?

Here, maybe once a reign, tops, an award is given out without a scroll, but it's usually because the scroll didn't make it to the event, due to bad weather or the scribe getting sick or something. (And in those cases, the scroll would make it to the next event the recipient was at.) If necessary, for a last minute award, a scribe would do up a scroll on the spot, spending the day in the royalty room working on it, rather than give out an IOU...

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 pm

bookbabe wrote:Wow...talk about inter-kingdom cultural differences. Is that normal for you guys, that an IOU would be given out instead of a scroll? And that the backlog would take decades to clear up?

Here, maybe once a reign, tops, an award is given out without a scroll, but it's usually because the scroll didn't make it to the event, due to bad weather or the scribe getting sick or something. (And in those cases, the scroll would make it to the next event the recipient was at.) If necessary, for a last minute award, a scribe would do up a scroll on the spot, spending the day in the royalty room working on it, rather than give out an IOU...
It's always an IOU at the time the award is given, well almost always, I can think of a time or two when it was an actual scroll and those were always people very well known and liked in the kingdom and the scribes were fighting over who got to do the scroll. Generally, you have to actually ask for the scroll, at least for an AoA, to get one. I believe they also tend to wait until a name and device is finalized if the recipient doesn't already have one. For me, I got my AoA like 2 years into my time into the society and didn't have a name or device accepted for quite some time after. In fact, I'm having real issues getting my name passed and I have it as a kind of holding name, at the moment. The device is good now though I'm not sure I actually remember what it was, although I haven't written down somewhere.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:32 pm

lady ulrike wrote:Yeah, I got mine darn close to 20 years ago and still haven't gotten my scroll. Of course, I've also been super inactive.
Is yours still in the backlog, or just unclaimed?

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...