New turnstile technology being tested

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: New turnstile technology being tested

Post by Mr. D. » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:06 pm

DonutGoddess wrote:When I got my Sun Pass they gave out a special bag to put the Sun Pass if for some reason you had it in your car and didn't want to use it.
passport cards come with the same thing.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 am

Shorty82 wrote:Probably to speed up going through the turnstiles. Problems with the mag stripe on a ticket can slow the line almost to a halt.
If they're going to use it for turnstiles, could they also apply it to the FastPass machines? I mean, if they're gonna have the FastPass, let's do it on a system where just looking at your ticket wrong isn't going to make the system not work.

I always hated giving those replacement tickets out, because I was essentially giving people a way to cheat the system. I mean, how hard is it to find that your ticket's magnetic stripe doesn't work, so you take your ticket to an attraction, get a replacement ticket... lather, rinse, repeat? There were people who would come up and you just knew they had already got those temporary replacements and you were the fifth or sixth person they were talking to.

I would also hope that they make the RFID tag much less easy to damage and render useless.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:If they're going to use it for turnstiles, could they also apply it to the FastPass machines? I mean, if they're gonna have the FastPass, let's do it on a system where just looking at your ticket wrong isn't going to make the system not work.

I always hated giving those replacement tickets out, because I was essentially giving people a way to cheat the system. I mean, how hard is it to find that your ticket's magnetic stripe doesn't work, so you take your ticket to an attraction, get a replacement ticket... lather, rinse, repeat? There were people who would come up and you just knew they had already got those temporary replacements and you were the fifth or sixth person they were talking to.
As I understand it, Attractions Cast Members are supposed to mark the ticket/KTTW when they hand out FastPass Key Cards, and then direct the Guests to Guest Relations/Resort Concierge to have them reissued later in their visit. I've never seen a ticket defaced in that way, so I don't know if it's widely practised in actuality; however, it seems to me that would take care of the problem of people obtaining multiple cards.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm

That's a great idea. I was never told to make any mark or look for one. Can we make that a policy?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Speaking of RFIDs. I saw a couple of these antennas on Westgate at the TTC today.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:48 pm

avengador1 wrote:Speaking of RFIDs. I saw a couple of these antennas on Westgate at the TTC today.
Those are wireless microphone antennas, Shure is the manufacturer of microphones and the like. I don't know what they get used for at the TTC but I've seen them in use in the Magic Kingdom for special events and the like. The ones at the TTC must get used enough to justify permanently mounting them though. The ones I saw in the MK were portable ones, usually on a pole by a temporary soundboard setup. I have no doubt there are similar antennas permanently mounted around the MK but are hidden from view for use during regular shows and, now that they are miked, the Dapper Dans.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Those are wireless microphone antennas, Shure is the manufacturer of microphones and the like. I don't know what they get used for at the TTC but I've seen them in use in the Magic Kingdom for special events and the like. The ones at the TTC must get used enough to justify permanently mounting them though. The ones I saw in the MK were portable ones, usually on a pole by a temporary soundboard setup. I have no doubt there are similar antennas permanently mounted around the MK but are hidden from view for use during regular shows and, now that they are miked, the Dapper Dans.
they could add it into the parade float system, so they could have "live" singers on the units instead of always following the canned program. like during a breakdown, the cast dont have to keep doing the same routine until control pauses the system.
i.e. unit 5 is alive!

Corey

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:18 am

Those antennas get used every morning. They make a couple announcements and then let the herd into the ferry and Monorail.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I just noticed them this last time we were there while my wife was making a pit stop.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:23 pm

I hope they have them mounted fairly high up. I can just see some twit jumping up and smacking those things.