Reno Air Race Crash

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Reno Air Race Crash

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 pm

A P-51 crashed today, killing three.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 12598.html

Hopefully there aren't going to be people coming out of the woodwork to say they should quit having the Reno Air Race like they did about the Oregon International Air Show in Hillsboro, OR in 2004. But I suspect they will.

As someone who loves to fly, this saddens me. At the same time, you aren't a pilot in the Reno Air Race without knowing what the risks are, and without absolutely loving what you are doing.

To the pilot and those killed, rest in peace. To those hurt, a speedy recovery. And to those who witnessed it, peace of mind.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Reno Air Race Crash

Post by Double T » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Aye, a friend of mine was there and posted on FB that a propeller flew about 20 feet away from him.
Coincidentally, a former Dreamworks animator who has moved over to the Mouse House.
Him and his friends are okay physically, but to say he's shaken is a bit of an understatement.

And sadly, last I read, the toll was up to 9. :(

T

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Just saw pics from whatever,,,Small trim-tab broke off. Doesn't seem like much,but just enough to ruin your day. :(

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 am

Planes are an amazing thing. The balance that goes into them is downright staggering. It amazes me that the Wright Brothers were ever able to take off. Then, to hop in a Cessna, go out and do a bunch of touch-and-go flights and during any cruising you are doing (the airport I flew out of was NOT good for touch-and-go operations, so we would head over to McMinnville, home of the Spruce Goose... picture coming soon) the plane just feels so stable.

Then you take off something that can't even be seen, or rather its absence can't be seen from any of the videos by the untrained naked eye...

Death toll is currently up to 10. Even at that high a count, two things should be noted: It was the first fatality of any spectators in 44 years, and the toll could have been much, much higher.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 pm

This was pretty scary. Da kid was there the day before with his AFJROTC class. he showed us in a pic how close he was sitting to the impact.

This morning the local news said death toll up to 11. The local news stations in sac are having a field day with this. There is also talk of canceling the event due to this tragic accident.

Steve

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 pm

The Reno Air Race will be held this year.

"Many of the victims, their families, air race teams and fans have told us they are coming to Reno this September no matter what. We feel it is our obligation to give them something, no matter what," Houghton said.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward