Carl And Ellie Forever

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Carl And Ellie Forever

Post by felinefan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:03 pm

The picture of the child in the house--was that Ellie when she was young?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:06 pm

felinefan wrote:The picture of the child in the house--was that Ellie when she was young?
yes, I think that was.
in her avators hat and goggles?
both were flying nuts, hence all the balloon and plane decorations.

Corey

MouseKiss
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by MouseKiss » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:40 pm

I distinctly remember them going to the doctor and the implication was that she couldn't have children.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:28 am

It was my understanding that they did conceive once(indicated by the cloud babies when she tells Carl and the subsequent nursery construction) but lost it for some reason. Then she gets checked out and is told that what caused her to lose the baby also made it so she could never have one.

These scenes are fairly open to interpretation and I think that increases their power. Each person in the audience is going to see something a little different in it based off of their experiences, and it is then those experiences which drive the emotions.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Lasolimu wrote:It was my understanding that they did conceive once(indicated by the cloud babies when she tells Carl and the subsequent nursery construction) but lost it for some reason. Then she gets checked out and is told that what caused her to lose the baby also made it so she could never have one.

These scenes are fairly open to interpretation and I think that increases their power. Each person in the audience is going to see something a little different in it based off of their experiences, and it is then those experiences which drive the emotions.
Well, in any case, the practical upshot is that Ellie is told she will never be a mother, and I think everyone can understand how deep that sort of pain would be.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Also, in that scene, I hand it to Pixar. I've watched that issue tear couples apart for one reason and another, far too many times. In Carl and Ellie, you see an example of that pulling them closer. Kudos.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:55 am

That was the way I saw it, too, Lasolimu. What a tremendous bit of film making there -- I don't care what medium you're talking about. That first 10 minutes just had so much character development and story telling!

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 pm

WEDFan wrote:That was the way I saw it, too, Lasolimu. What a tremendous bit of film making there -- I don't care what medium you're talking about. That first 10 minutes just had so much character development and story telling!
Heck, they could have made a full movie out of what they managed to show in 10 minutes!

MouseKiss
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by MouseKiss » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm

That is why it made such a good story for all ages. The angst of unfullfilled dreams really hits the adults in the audience while the kids can laugh at the gags and everybody leaves happy that they had a nice, entertaining experience. Which is pretty far and few between these days in the cinematic world.

Planner
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Planner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:18 am

It was a serious tear fountain movie, heck just seeing the video of the house got me worked up again. We can't have kids, honestly not a big deal for us but the idea of growing old alone...now that is a kick in the gut.

The kick is what got us as I am 9 years younger and the more adventure driven of the two of us. So what's the point in waiting and waiting when you may end up doing the things you want to do alone? Jump out there and DO it!

Sweet movie but yes lots of solid gut wrenching going on. :carl:

[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't just let nature run wild"[/font]
Walt Disney

Wonder if he was thinking about a SG:D: