Visiting with 1st timers.

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Visiting with 1st timers.

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 am

breathless wrote:Another question.... anyone seen a "what time is the 3'oclock parade" shirt anywhere?
It's not quite what you asked for but this is a similar design.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:13 am

I'm a little surprised guests are allowed to attach decorations to windows. And not because of appearance.

Years ago I was installing a system in a brand new, unopened bank. Signage had not arrived so a bank rep wanted to tape a sign to the inside of a plate glass window facing the street. The general contractor told him not to but hey, what does a construction schmo know?

The next day the south facing window was hit by the sun. It heated up unevenly due to the dark sign attached to the back and it wasn't too long before some large cracks appeared in the glass.

The GC had a told ya so smirk on his face as he called the glass company.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

breathless
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by breathless » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:21 am

hobie16 wrote:I'm a little surprised guests are allowed to attach decorations to windows. And not because of appearance.

Years ago I was installing a system in a brand new, unopened bank. Signage had not arrived so a bank rep wanted to tape a sign to the inside of a plate glass window facing the street. The general contractor told him not to but hey, what does a construction schmo know?

The next day the south facing window was hit by the sun. It heated up unevenly due to the dark sign attached to the back and it wasn't too long before some large cracks appeared in the glass.

The GC had a told ya so smirk on his face as he called the glass company.
I know on the cruise the doors were metal, I can't remember if the doors at pop are metal also, I could always do magnets again like on the cruise. I didn't even think about the window heating up because of a dark sign. I didn't think it would hold that much heat.

I'm not determined to do it... just thought it would be fun for the kids.

All it takes is faith trust and pixie dust... and Rock n' Roll!!!:jessica:

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:26 pm

DonutGoddess wrote:At Christmas we stayed at Pop Century and someone had gone all out decorating their room. They had two trees, I have no idea how they got it there.
Disney hotels will provide Christmas trees to guests who order. :tree:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:38 pm

What you will get from a 14yo is a lot of "I dont knows" and "I dont cares."
Have her look at the Disney website and make a list of what interests her at each park, 5 things or so.
Tell your friends they do not have to hang around with you all the time, encourage them to spend some time without you as a family and explore on thier own. (this also gives you time without them to do your thing)
Offer to take one of the kids for a few hours so they can spend some one on one time with each kid, and offer to take both kids so they can have some one on one time together.
Since you have been a number of times you know its a lot of fun to just wander around and do whatever, you want to hit the main attractions but often first timers miss some of the other great things at Disney parks because they are to worried about hitting the most popular attractions and miss stuff so while they may look at a list of must do's, encourage them to just explore and try anything and everything.
most of all tell them to take thier time and enjoy, dont rush, unless your there for a month you probably wont do everything anyway so dont stress about it. If they have fun they can come back later and concentrate on the things they missed the first time.
Also, on my last trip I tipped the mousekeepers and got quite a collection of washcloth animals.
Steve

dvonholdt
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by dvonholdt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Zazu wrote:Try <passporter.com> for less stupid forums. Buy one of their guidebooks (or somebody else's) for my best advice. [Disclaimer: I edit these and have a financial stake in the business.]
Zazu...I love Passporter! Have the binders, so all I have to get are the refill pages.

mousefan
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by mousefan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Passporter is an invaluable resource -

I've stumbled upon a relatively new website that seems to be filled with former TourGuide Mike mods, posters, etc - this site is free, and has "best days" its a lot of info - but the best day calendars are very helpful imho http://www.easywdw.com/ scroll down to the right to find your month you are going - again, very similar to TGM - only free and very up to date!

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:33 am

Have your friends try TourGuideMike.com It's a pay trip planning site, but the cost is about the same as a good guide book. Mike does break things down by group, so it might be easier to have a list of suggested attractions by age range. There's A LOT of information over there, but Mike really gives you his touring philosophy, so that you can really make your own touring plan. I've found it VERY helpful and VERY acurate information.

mousefan
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by mousefan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:30 pm

GaTechGal wrote:Have your friends try TourGuideMike.com It's a pay trip planning site, but the cost is about the same as a good guide book. Mike does break things down by group, so it might be easier to have a list of suggested attractions by age range. There's A LOT of information over there, but Mike really gives you his touring philosophy, so that you can really make your own touring plan. I've found it VERY helpful and VERY acurate information.
I think you may be out of date for Tourguide mike - believe it or not his info has been really out of date, and late -

This free site has the same information (ie Best Days, articles, and a forum - free)
http://www.easywdw.com/

There seem to be a lot of ex-TGM'ers there - very friendly and easy going site

I also agree with a PP and go to the library and sit with a lot of those books - I love Passporter for keeping it all together - great information and maps!

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:58 pm

dvonholdt wrote:Try <passporter.com> for less stupid forums. Buy one of their guidebooks (or somebody else's) for my best advice. [Disclaimer: I edit these and have a financial stake in the business.]
I don't think you'll get any argument from most people here about PassPorter. We have someone here who has done some work on it as well, though I would bet you may already know who that is. So two PassPorter contributors here. Very nice.

Also, I see you've been here since 2009, but it would appear you never got your proper welcome, frying or beverage. So let's get that rolling.

:sgthello:

Sorry it comes two and a half years late.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?