Monorail for city centers?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Monorail for city centers?

Post by WEDFan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 am

BRWombat wrote:What I'm waiting for next is when states turn down Federal money, maybe the Feds say, okay, then we don't need to spend it, and maybe, like... give it back to the taxpayers?

No, I am not on drugs. :cool:
I'm very sure it will go to people who are taxpayers. Now, if you are thinking of it going back to the taxpayers who paid it in, well, in that case I think Lasolimu is right. :D:

kcberlin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by kcberlin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 am

BRWombat wrote:What I'm waiting for next is when states turn down Federal money, maybe the Feds say, okay, then we don't need to spend it, and maybe, like... give it back to the taxpayers?

No, I am not on drugs. :cool:
I'm sure you're right. Just like the "rebate" we got from Bush that we had to pay back on the next year's taxes.

The opinions expressed here may not be those of kcberlin. Sometimes I just like to stir shit.:twisted:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

Whazzup wrote:Do we know who ended up with that money yet? Or who will end up with it? Haven't seen anything in the news in the last day or two. What a loss for Orlando and Tampa.
I read somewhere that California was trying to Hoover the money.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Moonstone
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Moonstone » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:00 pm

In the case of the Tampa/Orlando rail the newspapers were reporting that private industry was lined up to cover any construction cost overruns. Maybe someone knows for sure, but I thought FL had to apply for this money in the first place. Wouldn't linking Tampa, Orlando and Port Canaveral would be good for the tourist/cruise industry?

My one experience with local public transportation- my daughter started going to a charter school 8 miles from our house. On regular school days she takes a bus but if she is doing any extra curricular stuff I have to pick her up. This can be both time and fuel consuming. I did some research and found that by taking two local busses she could easily (if not quickly) get from school to home. Before she did it the first time we drove the route so she could see where she would be switching busses. The intersection had a strip club, pawn shop and "tobacco" supply store. So, no public busses for my 15 year old. I guess the real estate boom dried up before it hit that intersection.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:36 pm

hobie16 wrote: I read somewhere that California was trying to Hoover the money.
You got this right hobie. Jerry is looking into everything possible! & he'll find it. I LOVE ol Jerry.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 pm

Main Streeter wrote:You got this right hobie. Jerry is looking into everything possible! & he'll find it. I LOVE ol Jerry.
Jerry is a real smart guy. Gov. Moonbeam my tuckus!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 am

What I'd rather have is for them to not take it in the first place.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:58 am

Moonstone wrote:So, no public busses for my 15 year old. I guess the real estate boom dried up before it hit that intersection.
And with Lynx, just wait until the first time that second bus just... doesn't show up. So your daughter waits the obligatory 20 minutes, calls them, they call the driver and the driver says that he was there on time. But they have no way to actually track him by GPS. By the way, this marvelous GPS (which Lynx buses DO have on them to show passengers a moving map) was on Portland's Tri-Met buses sometime in the 80's. I have a GPS app on my iPhone called InstaMapper, so that my wife can track me any time.

And in case you couldn't tell, yes. I had this happen to me once when my car was down and out.

Lynx sucks.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:And with Lynx, just wait until the first time that second bus just... doesn't show up. So your daughter waits the obligatory 20 minutes, calls them, they call the driver and the driver says that he was there on time. But they have no way to actually track him by GPS. By the way, this marvelous GPS (which Lynx buses DO have on them to show passengers a moving map) was on Portland's Tri-Met buses sometime in the 80's. I have a GPS app on my iPhone called InstaMapper, so that my wife can track me any time.

And in case you couldn't tell, yes. I had this happen to me once when my car was down and out.

Lynx sucks.
Public transportation sucks in most, if not all, of Florida, if not the entire South. There may be little pieces here and there that work well but for the most part it doesn't work well.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:48 am

What I would really like is a high speed rail that runs north/south that could get me from S. FL to Orlando(Disney) quickly and reasonably. Guess I am greedy, plus it would enable me to spend too much at Disney, LOL.