I'm sorry, sir, but your kid is too short to ride...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: I'm sorry, sir, but your kid is too short to ride...

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:16 am

Zazu wrote:It doesn't always reach 60mph, but that's the design spec. Oversized guests (of which I admit to being one) often cause it to run slower.
That's funny, the heavier the sled on the Matterhorn, the faster it goes. We used to occasionally get "overspeeds" that would shut down the ride, and that would be when a light sled full of children was followed by a sled full of U of Michigan linebackers.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:That's funny, the heavier the sled on the Matterhorn, the faster it goes. We used to occasionally get "overspeeds" that would shut down the ride, and that would be when a light sled full of children was followed by a sled full of U of Michigan linebackers.
Now I am suddenly getting this image of a group of terrified youngsters in one sled about to get overtaken by another sled filled with huge football players shouting "GO WOLVERINES!".... :cat1:

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:43 am

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but how many times have you seen a parent or even a sibling slam the kid's head into the height bar?

How many times has that caused the kid to cry? How many times do you think it's caused the kid to have a headache? How many times has it caused the guest to yell at you?

Before I can stop them, I'm thinking, yes, that bar IS metal, and no, it's not going to magically turn into rubber when you push into it. But, usually, they just say "yep, he's good!" and go on their merry way, crying kid or not.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:55 am

That's exactly why I would always set it up, if I was at the front of the attraction, so the parents did not have to touch the child during measuring. I would start by placing a masking tape "X" under the stick and then tell the child to stand right on it. Then, I would use a discovery I had made about the height measurement devices at BTMRR. If I placed my hand on top of it, by the way it was supported, if the child's head touched the bar, I would feel a vibration. If the head didn't touch, I wouldn't. During this time, I would be down at eye-level with the child, with every effort to be between the child and their parents (but in a non-threatening way, and NEVER blocking sight).

The best part was, when I had a parent argue that their child DID touch, I would have them place their hand where mine was, and I would (VERY) lightly tap the horizontal bar. I would then explain that I was very sorry, but I didn't feel... that.

Amazingly, it worked 95% of the time.

Your mileage may vary.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

jgirl120
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by jgirl120 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:37 pm

The funniest is when they try to sneak their kid past you. Like, you really think you are the first to pull this trick? And you really think if you got past me you would get past the other at least 5 CMs your gonna pass?...And the CM's watching the cameras? Really?

And how bout the SG that ducks down and makes a joke about them not being tall enough to ride? Yep! Ha ha...really think your the pioneer of that one?????

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:31 am

jgirl120 wrote: And how bout the SG that ducks down and makes a joke about them not being tall enough to ride? Yep! Ha ha...really think your the pioneer of that one?????
Wouldn't it be funny if an old dude pulled this, you responded with the above, and he was like "Actually, I AM the pioneer of that joke!" I'd laugh. Heck, I'm laughing right now!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Some days I laught at the full grown adult asking if he is tall enough, and other days I just cringe.

I'm very curious what height checks will be like for me this year. I have been placed in our kids part of the park. In the past, you had to be under 54 inches to ride any of the rides. They are readoing it and all but one of my rides is new. I have heard that we will actually have rides that families can ride together, that would be nice!

Petite and Proud!

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 pm

ktulu wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if an old dude pulled this, you responded with the above, and he was like "Actually, I AM the pioneer of that joke!" I'd laugh. Heck, I'm laughing right now!
The answer for that? "And in all this time, you still haven't come up with another joke? Fella, you really need new material!"

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:37 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:The answer for that? "And in all this time, you still haven't come up with another joke? Fella, you really need new material!"
One hit wonder ;)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:49 am

I got the " they let them on the other ride with the same height requirement" many times. It is usually BS. However, on one occasion the guest who claimed that his daughter was let on Tatsu (54") pulled out the picture and sure enough it was the same kid in the same clothes ( unless she a had a twin that wasn't going on this ride). [And plus, do 11 year old twins still dress identical?]
Anyway I tell the man.. " Well, I measured her here (batman) and she is too short." Me: Sorry sir, SG: Well good for you for doing your job!... Me thinking: Yeah, I know. Oh and WTG Tatsu! Oh this was also on fire/rescue/police/medical night or whatever it is called, so this guy likely was either a firefighter, cop or doctor.