Overheard in the kingdom

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Overheard in the kingdom

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I have seen Wishes canceled once, and that was when a hurricane was blowing by (note: I did not say through). It was very high winds, and they waited until we had even put the Monorails away. Then, the Castle shells started going off, in real time, but with no music playing. The large shells behind the park were not being launched. It was eerie.
That does not surprise me. I have been told that if the lightning is particularly bad, they will cancel, but have not seen them do that myself. We did have one day when lightning struck the top of Snow White and did fire off a shell that had already been loaded- in the middle of the day. I was working the ride at the time and it was quite loud. It was rather amusing.

Petite and Proud!

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 pm

EeyoresButterfly wrote:That does not surprise me. I have been told that if the lightning is particularly bad, they will cancel, but have not seen them do that myself. We did have one day when lightning struck the top of Snow White and did fire off a shell that had already been loaded- in the middle of the day. I was working the ride at the time and it was quite loud. It was rather amusing.
My first ever PAC shift was an absolute disaster. Parade got rained out, Wishes delayed by over a half hour, still fired off with it pouring. Quite an intro to in-park work for me :)

Kurt

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:My first ever PAC shift was an absolute disaster. Parade got rained out, Wishes delayed by over a half hour, still fired off with it pouring. Quite an intro to in-park work for me :)
Had one PAC like that too. I loved it!

Dopey got his train stuck at the bottom of the bridge, the tractor had to come give him a hand. The crowd was chanting and cheering, and went nuts when they got him over the bridge into the hub. We were all soaked from head to toe (yeah I had rain gear, but not the pouch to carry it on stage. besides... it was fun).

The fireworks were delayed, and when we got to 10 past, I overheard one of the PACs next to me "promise" a guest that they would go off, and looked at me for reassurance. I gave her my widest eyes I could and in my best cartoony way, slipped around a petite PAC on my other side and pretended to hide--as if all 6'2"/250 of me could really disappear like that.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:52 am

Years ago I saw a performance of Holiday Wishes on a *very* windy Christmas Party night where they started the show on-time but then inhibited quite a few of the shells as they went along. There were quite a few gaps of absolutely nothing going off.

We were standing on the Hub end of the Tomorrowland bridge and were rained on by ash, as well as a decent-sized chunk of shell casing from one of the largest shells.

-Rob

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:06 am

A number of years ago we watched Illuminations in the run up to a hurricane (the parks were closed a good part of the next day). We were surprised that given the volume of rain coming down that the show went on. It was hard to see much and the sound wasn't exactly, well, crisp, but it was still kind of a fun experience. At least until I caught a piece of ash in my eye right at the grand finale. :oweye: :pirate1:

Still makes a great story, though! :D:

WWWD
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by WWWD » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 pm

turkeyham wrote:The chimichanga is not a fruit pie.

The Columbia ship is open and the Mark Twain is closed.
SG: Hurry up kids, the Mark Twain is leaving and maybe we can run and get on it as it sails away.

SG: How long will it be when the Mark Twain comes back to pick us up?
CM: A while, it is closed for renovation.
SG: How can that be? It just sailed out of here a few minutes ago.
CM: That was the Columbia sir.

SG: Where is the Revolution Roller Coaster?
CM: At Magic Mountain.
SG: Can you show me on the park map where it is?
CM: Magic Mountain is a different theme park and we don't have any of their maps.
Well, why not? I saw a movie where Macy's sent people over to Gimble's! Whatever happened to Guest service?? ;)

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm

WWWD, :sgthello:

Quick, cover yourself in a fire retardant blanket. Your warm welcome will be here soon.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Where is the butter corn hot dogs?
:confused:

TeamUBR
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TeamUBR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 am

turkeyham wrote:Where is the butter corn hot dogs?
:confused:
HUH? Sounds like the latest way to add 1000 additional calories to something already loaded with them.

j

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Welcome to WWWD and Darksin!! :waves: