Bus Drivers and Tips

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
jazaaumom
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Bus Drivers and Tips

Post by jazaaumom » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 am

Well I did the CP a long time ago I cannot remember if this was even allowed or not. Let me give you the scenario on our trip this past March we had some very awesome bus drivers. Even with the SG that they were having to put up with and yes they were very rude. When I went to step off of the bus I told the driver Thank you and here is the kicker he actually looked shocked! :confused:

He told a few funny stories, nothing out of the ordinary, but when did it become strange for someone to say thank you. I felt so bad after that I started thinking that maybe I should tip the bus driver, but I wasn't sure if this was normal or if they can even accept it? Even if I cannot tip, I always make sure I say thank you because yes they are doing there job, but they are providing me a service that I can do myself. They do not have to tell silly stories and any of the extra's they do so I think at least a Thank you is in order.

Gettin off my soapbox now, so back to my original question is it okay to tip? I didn't go to board X for this answer I knew that the flames would start flying so I came to the source.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Bus Drivers and Tips

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:59 am

No tips for bus drivers. But if you really want to do it, we have to say no three times.

As far as people go and us expecting a thank you, my expectation of that is getting lower and lower. With the computer system running all the sound and spiels now, people don't even really notice there is a driver unless either 1) s/he screws up or 2) s/he saves the day.

But there is still the occasional thank you.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Sea Turtles
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Sea Turtles » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 pm

I always make it a point to thank anybody in that type of position. Not because I feel like I have to in order to be considered polite, but because they provided a service and provided it very well. It eats me up when 15 people shuffle off the bus that just delivered them safely to their destination and they don't even acknowledge the driver. Those few "thank you" might be just as good as a tip.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Sea Turtles wrote:Those few "thank you" might be just as good as a tip.
Replace "might be" with "are"

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:19 pm

I'm not doing this job for tips, I do it for the guest interaction. A heartfelt thankyou is the best thing a guest can give me.

That being said, if offered a tip I will tell the guest that it is not necessary, I'm just happy you enjoyed the show. If they persist, it's No, No, No in quick sucession and then Thank You.

I look at it this way, someone who is going to offer a tip for what a driver like Big Wallaby or myself was really happy with the services (entertainment) that we provided (after all, we don't do luggage) and is going out of their way to show appreciation. I'm not going to insult them by what may be considered a "snub" to them by a driver. If they put away the tip after I say no, then thats fine. I did not ask for it or do I expect it. If they don't put away the tip, my pocket is always open, I'll gladly pickup someones green paper trash.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."