Dining Duhs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Dining Duhs

Post by WEDFan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks,all, for the welcome.
DisneyMom wrote:I want to hear some of the Stupid Drive-In Tricks :)
WELCOME!
I'm sure a lot would sound really familiar, but let me see if I can come up with some of the best, representative ones. Setting the Wayback machine to around 1980...

Tales from the Concession Stand -- I figured I'd start here since the thread is about dining. There were all the usual examples of people coming in for condiments to go with the food they brought. We also had a lot of run-ins with SGs who felt they were entitled to free cups and ice. (We matched sales to cup inventory so we were really selling cups that happened to have liquid in them.) Of course, people got real belligerent when you charged them for a drink when all the grabbed was a cup full of ice. The best tale, though, would have to be the family that brought their own bottled drinks, but neglected to bring an opener. The teenage kid came in demanding to know where the opener was. We didn’t sell bottled drinks, so we didn’t have one. A friend of mine was in the stand talking to me, and he had a pocket knife with an opener on it, so he opened 4 bottles for the kid. No thank you. My friend bought some snacks and was ready to leave when the kid came back with more bottles. The following conversation ensued:

Kid: I need these opened.
Friend: Sorry.
Kid: You have the opener in your pocket.
Friend: Yeah, and that’s where it’s staying.
Kid: (To me) He won’t open my bottles.
Me: Um, that’s his choice. He’s a customer.

The kid leaves, my friend and I exchange “the look” and he leaves. Shortly after, the kid comes back with his Mom. His Mom demanded that we open the bottles. She said she knew we had an opener because the other bottles got opened. I pointed out that another customer had done that. After a little more back and forth, she left grumbling about poor customer service.

Since this post is getting long, I’ll stop here, but if anyone is interested I have Tales from the Ticket Booth and Tales from the Ramp. I also have what I think is the best story to come out of my drive-in experience, but it isn’t about a SG, it’s about some really clever kids who got a pass because they were so ingenius.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:35 pm

WEDFan wrote:Since this post is getting long, I’ll stop here, but if anyone is interested I have Tales from the Ticket Booth and Tales from the Ramp. I also have what I think is the best story to come out of my drive-in experience, but it isn’t about a SG, it’s about some really clever kids who got a pass because they were so ingenius.
You know we won't let you stop there. Especially since you baited us with a tagline.

Kurt

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:06 pm

WEDFan, I am sorry that the Marsupial Welcoming Committee didn't get to you. And I am sorry you had the alcohol *before* the kindest flaming you will ever experience on a board. But hopefully you knew what to expect, since you've been here a month.

So without further ado, :sgthello:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:32 am

No worries, Big Wallaby! The only problem would have been if the alcohol ignited! :blowup:

Ok, so… Tales from the Ticket Booth. Admission for the drive-in was per person, not by the carload. As a result, we got a lot of people, particularly young people, trying to beat the system. Drive-ins were great for two types of groups: couples and carfulls. So what’s a person to think when a teenage guy drives up all by himself and buys one ticket? :rolleyes: There was a path leading from a little shopping strip through a field into the back of our property. For some reason, these kids thought we didn’t know about it. Single kid comes through the front, ticket both calls ramp man (ramp is the area you park to watch, and the ramp man was our enforcer), he watches the car and waits for the other kid(s) to appear. Then the fun begins when they try to explain that they lost their ticket stub… in the car. These future leaders of the free world couldn’t even figure out to wait until it got dark. They’d just come strolling in from the back field. The best had to be the couple that decided it would be smart for the girlfriend to hide in the trunk. I kid you not – this actually happened from time-to-time. In this case, though, it turned out that she was claustrophobic. Barely got through the gate when she started banging on the inside of the trunk and screaming. Usually we just made them buy tickets for everyone and let them stay, but this time I guess she was no longer in the mood, and they left. :p:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:45 am

WEDFan wrote:No worries, Big Wallaby! The only problem would have been if the alcohol ignited! :blowup:
That is what I worry about every time. But alas, it must be the cheap stuff that Darph is giving away, so I really should learn not to panic.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:28 am

Big Wallaby wrote:But alas, it must be the cheap stuff that Darph is giving away, so I really should learn not to panic.
I'm not sure Darph would ever part with real alcohol.

Kurt

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:05 pm

WEDFan wrote:No worries, Big Wallaby! The only problem would have been if the alcohol ignited! :blowup:

Ok, so… Tales from the Ticket Booth. Admission for the drive-in was per person, not by the carload. As a result, we got a lot of people, particularly young people, trying to beat the system. Drive-ins were great for two types of groups: couples and carfulls. So what’s a person to think when a teenage guy drives up all by himself and buys one ticket? :rolleyes: There was a path leading from a little shopping strip through a field into the back of our property. For some reason, these kids thought we didn’t know about it. Single kid comes through the front, ticket both calls ramp man (ramp is the area you park to watch, and the ramp man was our enforcer), he watches the car and waits for the other kid(s) to appear. Then the fun begins when they try to explain that they lost their ticket stub… in the car. These future leaders of the free world couldn’t even figure out to wait until it got dark. They’d just come strolling in from the back field. The best had to be the couple that decided it would be smart for the girlfriend to hide in the trunk. I kid you not – this actually happened from time-to-time. In this case, though, it turned out that she was claustrophobic. Barely got through the gate when she started banging on the inside of the trunk and screaming. Usually we just made them buy tickets for everyone and let them stay, but this time I guess she was no longer in the mood, and they left. :p:
Great Drive-in Stories! Hopefully that gal got a guy who at least had a bigger trunk :twisted:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Hopefully that gal got a guy who at least had a bigger trunk :twisted:
:dropmouth :dropmouth :dropmouth :dropmouth DisneyMom!!! :dropmouth :dropmouth :dropmouth :dropmouth

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:23 pm

OH WOW!

you are bringing back memories.

you see, when I was in high school in the midwest I worked as a projectionest for the local movie theatre (and during summer months) the drive in theatre! ;)

I remember having to go check the speakers and replacing them every once in a while. people would try and drive off with them still in the window, not realizing that the cord had some serious strength to it, and would often break the window! :D:

and of course the old "trunk" discount!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 pm

When I was a kid our house was over the fence from a large field. At the other end of the field was a drive-in theater. Early in the summer every year the grass was cut and bailed. The bails were stacked about fifty feet from the drive-in fence and left for months.

All the neighborhood kids would get food and drinks and sit on the hay bail stack and watch the movies. We got sound as most of the unused speakers all had their volume turned up. Good times.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.