SCMT or SGT?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: SCMT or SGT?

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Gotta agree there, unless there is a violation of California or Flordia law, security screening at DLR and WDW is purely a private situation with rules designated by the parks, a private company.

granted, they can ban people from the property, but jail?

I assume that the comment was hyperbole.
If they don't leave after being told to they are guilty of trespass which will result in their arrest.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Shorty82 wrote:If they don't leave after being told to they are guilty of trespass which will result in their arrest.
Which I know happens.
I heard a SGT from someone in security about a guy who after refusing the bag check tons finally told OCPD they could search his bag. Inside was a brick of drugs.

Kurt

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:20 am

CA Screamin Dude wrote:I can't attest to WDW whatsoever, but DLR's screening is quite a joke. Let's just say under controlled circumstances, many prohibited items have gotten through.

SCMT = Stupid Cast Member Trick; in today's Disney, this happens fairly often, yet not close to the volume of SGTs.
Isn't bag screening at DLR done by operations, not Security??

mapo

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:25 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Gotta agree there, unless there is a violation of California or Flordia law, security screening at DLR and WDW is purely a private situation with rules designated by the parks, a private company.

granted, they can ban people from the property, but jail?

I assume that the comment was hyperbole.
Nope, not hyperbole.

First, think who is at Security Screening besides Security, guests, and those ducks at MK???

Second, while a private organization that is inspecting/screening guests for entry, certain comments made in a public space gets you in big trouble fast.

You think saying FIRE in a crowded room gets ya in trouble?? Imagine what can get you in more trouble and jailed.

Sorry. This is left to your imagination. Enjoy

mapo

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:58 am

Grumpy... you mean to tell me no one you've 'met' has talked themselves into a citation or worse, an arrest?

If the guy is SG enough to do something like that, he's likely enough of an SG get himself in trouble with a deputy, too.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:04 am

mapo wrote:Isn't bag screening at DLR done by operations, not Security??

mapo
It's done by Admissions, so, yes, Operations.

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 pm

CptnSkippy wrote:Grumpy... you mean to tell me no one you've 'met' has talked themselves into a citation or worse, an arrest?

If the guy is SG enough to do something like that, he's likely enough of an SG get himself in trouble with a deputy, too.
I have arrested many a person for a felony. and yes, they talk themselves into it. but the informmation and situation posted dosn't come close to an arrestable offense.

if a person is refusing a security screening by a private company. they can be denied entry. and sure they can be banned. but arresting for trepass because they refuse a screening dosn't sound like a good arrest. and by that I mean one that will result in a conviction.

(there are exceptions, such as presenting yourself for entry into the united states at a border port of entry at a land, airport point of entry, or a seaport, or , in the news lately, security screeners at an airport, but that is to a federal office and not a private security company)

I do know that often a person will keep talking (usually alcohol fuled) and thus violate another law. (public nuscience, etc. depending on local laws)

and of course, the universal "contempt of cop" charge, which is technically called (among other things) as refusing to obey a police officer, interfearing with a police officers duties, and so on.

private security, no matter what you call them, not so much.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 pm

mapo wrote:Isn't bag screening at DLR done by operations, not Security??

mapo
Which is precisely why DLR's screening is a joke.

And as was mentioned, a good arrest for trespass doesn't often include refusing a private Co.'s entry screening. A private-level bar usually is the suggested remedy in the event of further misconduct, in addition to the simple denied entry for a refused search. Maybe a detaining (on the private level) as opposed to an outright arrest. Such a relatively minor trespass generally isn't as much of a public issue as it is a private one.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't know about the west coast, but at MK and the other parks, it seems there is almost always an Orange County Sheriff around close by the screening point. Nice thing about that, if someone should get themselves to doing something that makes them eligible for arrest... :D:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 pm

APD hangs out in Downtown Disney, and sometimes are seen backstage....but I haven't seen them hanging around screening any time I've been there.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.