Wild SGs at The World famous Jungle Cruise

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Wild SGs at The World famous Jungle Cruise

Post by Zazu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I assure you whatever the problem was that wasn't it. The Jungle Cruise boats are all on tracks and the skippers only have control of the throttle.
They're all on tracks until they come *off* the tracks. Yeah, there's a reason that skippers get sharp with their passengers if they start rocking the boat or moving around too much. One crosswise boat can take a big chunk out of a lot of guests' day!

Zazu

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:48 am

Jungle Cruise CMs are awesome... although I have to say my favorite encounter with one wasn't a Skipper at all... or at least, she wasn't being a Skipper at the time (I presume there's some rotation going on.)

There was this girl at the unload who was a real card, full of energy, dancing on the dock as we pulled up, and getting smart with our Skipper as she helped us out of the boat. Really topped off the trip.

8^)

goofyjoe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goofyjoe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Zazu wrote:They're all on tracks until they come *off* the tracks. Yeah, there's a reason that skippers get sharp with their passengers if they start rocking the boat or moving around too much. One crosswise boat can take a big chunk out of a lot of guests' day!
Wonder if the boat that sank also came off the tracks.

I believe the sloop was called Sankaru Sadie. It really put the "sank" in Sankaru! :D:

Gawrsh, yah-huh!

ifoundnemo
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by ifoundnemo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 pm

goofyjoe wrote:Wonder if the boat that sank also came off the tracks.

I believe the sloop was called Sankaru Sadie. It really put the "sank" in Sankaru! :D:
Actually the Sankaru Sadie is the one boat in our fleet that has actually "sunk!"

And yes, if a CM isn't paying attention when switching track, boats can get stuck, turn backwards, all sorts of shenanigans!

albino_pygmy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: Magic Kingdom
Department: Jungle Navigation Co
Position: Skipper

Post by albino_pygmy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:05 pm

The Sadie was my favorite. We had a thing going on that no other boat and skipper had. It was pure magic. I'll never forget how it starts to smoke and act up on all the other skippers, but then behaved beautifully for only me. I love you Sadie. :lovestruc

Skipper's General Warning!
Reading of this signature might result in the following:
Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
Consult a physician if read thoroughly.

ifoundnemo
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by ifoundnemo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:01 am

albino_pygmy wrote:The Sadie was my favorite. We had a thing going on that no other boat and skipper had. It was pure magic. I'll never forget how it starts to smoke and act up on all the other skippers, but then behaved beautifully for only me. I love you Sadie. :lovestruc
Well the boats that are giving us problems now are the Ida, the Annie, and the Nellie... Annie's now a speed demon (she was faster than Val at one point... and would die all the time) Ida just likes to die on Skippers, and the Nellie... well, it's the Nellie (she's slow, she dies, etc).

twitch
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by twitch » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:15 am

We were there last week, and our skipper told us about some of the games that the skippers play with each other... Easter Egg hunts, changing the props/scenery just a bit to see if anyone notices... she had left behind a rubber ducky on her first trip out that day, and pointed it out to us.

I know that this is "Stupid Guest Tricks," and not "Cast Member Secrets," but I wondered if anyone had any fun stories that they would be willing to share.

ifoundnemo
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by ifoundnemo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 am

twitch wrote:We were there last week, and our skipper told us about some of the games that the skippers play with each other... Easter Egg hunts, changing the props/scenery just a bit to see if anyone notices... she had left behind a rubber ducky on her first trip out that day, and pointed it out to us.

I know that this is "Stupid Guest Tricks," and not "Cast Member Secrets," but I wondered if anyone had any fun stories that they would be willing to share.
I may have been your skipper... I know I told a couple people about the rubber ducky that another skipper (not me) planted.

twitch
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by twitch » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:08 am

ifoundnemo wrote:I may have been your skipper... I know I told a couple people about the rubber ducky that another skipper (not me) planted.
Ah... perhaps. My wife says that it wasn't our skipper who planted the ducky... so it could have been.

At the end of the ride, did I thank you (and call you by the wrong name?) (And promptly get mocked by the skipper of the boat in front of us for my outburst of laughter?!?)

albino_pygmy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: Magic Kingdom
Department: Jungle Navigation Co
Position: Skipper

Post by albino_pygmy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:48 am

ifoundnemo wrote:Well the boats that are giving us problems now are the Ida, the Annie, and the Nellie... Annie's now a speed demon (she was faster than Val at one point... and would die all the time) Ida just likes to die on Skippers, and the Nellie... well, it's the Nellie (she's slow, she dies, etc).
Ida was already the problematic boat, loud, obnoxious, and slow. She was the first boat they installed those new engines in, and they screwed up something to where it's much louder than the older ones, so anyone who was stuck with the Ida in their rotation goes home with a massive migraine. It took them 5 months to figure out they installed it incorrectly and now it runs quieter, and so does a few of the other boats with the newer engines. Nellie ran fine for me, never had a problem with her either, but that was before they swapped engines.
twitch wrote: I know that this is "Stupid Guest Tricks," and not "Cast Member Secrets," but I wondered if anyone had any fun stories that they would be willing to share.
I have a Cast Member Secret for you twitch. Ready? I love disco. I'm the tallest in my class. And yes, I was that one strange kid in your kindergarten class that ate brown crayons thinking it was chocolate. That is all.

Skipper's General Warning!
Reading of this signature might result in the following:
Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
Consult a physician if read thoroughly.