Pumpkin Carvings!

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Pumpkin Carvings!

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:18 pm

I was told I couldn't possibly top that. Well. We'll see.

Afterall This Is Halloween and in this town, anything is possible.

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:28 pm

How did you do the transfer of the image ?

Did you do the carving with a dremel or spiral saw? The amount of fine detail is so amazing !

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 pm

delsdad wrote:How did you do the transfer of the image ?
Saral Paper. Learn it. Love it.
delsdad wrote:Did you do the carving with a dremel or spiral saw? The amount of fine detail is so amazing !
:twisted: With a simple pumpkin knife that comes in packs for carving pumpkins and a serrated pumpkin spoon to clean the inside.

Saral Paper is a fancy term for amazing tracing paper. You put the paper between the pumpkin and the template. Using a ball point pen (Really anything will work that doesn't puncture the paper), it goes on smooth. No more poking holes with a nail. Look at the first few pictures I posted for the "Curse of the Orange Pearl". See the blue (Make sure you use BLUE SARAL PAPER) lines? That's from the paper. Takes about ten minutes to get the template on the pumpkin. After that, it's a matter of relaxing, and taking your time.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:55 pm

IndyandMarion wrote:Hey all,

Tomorrow is the big day. Halloween. Is any one carving pumpkins this year? Dressing up? How about carvings like these that I've done:

Jack Skellington

Oogie Boogie (G/F did this one)

Iron Man

Snow White (She did this as well)

Finally, POTC Jolly Roger:

That isn't all. Because tonight, the masterpiece will be created in what I've dubbed Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Orange Pearl.

For this years costume, I've debuted my Harry Dresden outfit.
Wonderful pumpkins, Indy. And I want pictures of you as Harry.

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

Purpura
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Purpura » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:58 pm

I have a teeny pumpkin that my husband got for me. It is too small for carving, so I painted a teeny weeny green dragon head with blue eye dots on it and a shield with a Roman Numeral II on it, to stand for Anne McCaffrey's symbol for Benden Weyr, in her book series Dragon Riders of Pern- it's the second place that the humans on the fictitious planet of Pern settled with their dragons.

I also wanna see the pics of you as Harry Dresden.

Partial Guest List for Minnie and Friends Character Breakfast Disneyland Plaza Inn :minnie: :eeyore: :hook: :pooh: :tigger: :fairymom:

I am at Rancho Del Zocalo. OLE~!

Go Wombat and VM!

Notatourist will never be forgotten...

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:46 am

Purpura wrote:I have a teeny pumpkin that my husband got for me. It is too small for carving,

I also wanna see the pics of you as Harry Dresden.
You'd be surprised what can be done with the small pumpkins.

After much fuss and hard work, "Nightmare on Spiral Hill" was completed after about six hours. I have photos of that project which I will post later (I. . . Need. . . Sleep) today with a video as well.

I'll also post some Dresden photos we took in Downtown Orlando about a week ago. The costume debuted this year but I still have some work to do on it. By next year, I will have been working on it for nearly two years.

OK, so stand by and I'll post when I get up.

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:25 am

Wow!!! I am so impressed. I actually haven't carved pumpkins the last two years because of carpal tunnel in both wrists....it would kill me to do it....I'd need like three days to recover and wouldn't even be able to use the TV remote in that time (oh, the horror!).

Indy, you and your GF did an amazing job.....the pumpkins are really great! can't wait to see more pics.

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 am

"Halloween on Spiral Hill"

The Pumpkin King

Sally (Who is actually looking at....)

Jack Skellington

And his little friend Zero (Who does have his pumpkin nose, it just didn't show in the photo)

OK. Good God. This one was tough. Four on one pumpkin. It took me about 45 minutes to get the top off. The wall of the pumpkin was literally about three, maybe four inches thick. Another hour scraping the inside to make it thin enough to carve, then about five hours to carve. There are a few "black spots" on the carvings, those are the other carvings on the pumpkin showing up in each particular photo, but what do you expect when you put four on one? So for those reasons, these carvings weren't as clear as the POTC one I did. Still, it was a cool way to end Halloween.

(And yes, I did consider spraying The Pumpkin King with hair spray and lighting it up)

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:02 am

I totally forgot a few of you wanted to see the Dresden photos. I'm sending those of you who do to my album on Facebook.

Few notes. The costume is "Based" on Dresden before his hand is burned. I didn't have the money for the boots I want to get for the costume, so I did with my tennis shoes from House. The Pentacle is small, but works well and has since been updated with a better looking leather strap and a professional clasp. I'm not carving the runes into the duster. I refuse. It looks just perfect the way it is (And I used to wear this to work when I worked at Disney). As crazy as it sounds, I was very comfortable in the duster. I'm going to modify the staff over the next year.

So here you are:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... d2b7d76d38