This Is Pretty Sad

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: This Is Pretty Sad

Post by Freak » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Yeah, I kind of wish this stunt would land some people in that union in some real hot water. This is ludicrous. How appalling. :mad: Suddenly they're no better than the news, sensationalizing things for their own petty personal gains.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Isn't the job of the union to help the workers? How does this stunt help them in any way? It's not going to get Disney back to the negotiation table to talk about the contract quicker.

I'm glad I'm no longer a member of UNITE HERE (the WDW branch) if they're going to pull stunts like this.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Freak wrote:Yeah, I kind of wish this stunt would land some people in that union in some real hot water. This is ludicrous. How appalling. :mad: Suddenly they're no better than the news, sensationalizing things for their own petty personal gains.
Shorty82 wrote:Isn't the job of the union to help the workers? How does this stunt help them in any way? It's not going to get Disney back to the negotiation table to talk about the contract quicker.

I'm glad I'm no longer a member of UNITE HERE (the WDW branch) if they're going to pull stunts like this.
One thing forgotten by whoever came up with the idea is what will the long-term effects be. A flyer like that cuts to the heart of what Disney, especially the parks, are all about. You can bet Disney will find out who is responsible and they will play catch up.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Apparently, these folks haven't heard the tale of the goose that laid the golden eggs. You don't kill off a constant source of income in a bid to get more money in the short term! I think perhaps it is time for the rank-and-file of that union to get together and discuss if they want their union to be bashing their place of employment in such a way as to damage its reputation permanently, which would lead to reductions in income, which means reduction in money for the employees.

If they really wanted to "twist the knife", then a far better ploy would have been to, say, ask the question of whether a person would want to go on vacation to somewhere where the staff is underpaid and overworked, or to some place where the employees were happy with their jobs.

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Isn't the job of the union to help the workers? How does this stunt help them in any way? It's not going to get Disney back to the negotiation table to talk about the contract quicker.

Honestly, it's more Local 11 than Unite Here as a whole (though Local 362 is supporting them out of solidarity and a slight naivety based on the distance factor).

They're still POed over that whole incident a few years ago in which the International Union had to step in and split off Parks F&B Cast into Local 50. It cost them a lot of influence losing the bulk of their Disney membership, to say nothing of the allegations of favouritism, corruption and implied racial discrimination which accompanied the whole episode.

Despite the fact that Local 50 went and split from Unite Here afterwards, they're still convinced they need to prove themselves to the International Union.

Either that, or they're just all bonkers. Increasingly, I'm tending towards the latter.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Phony pickets, misrepresenting the facts..., an update.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9423/Disneyl ... te#newsTnT

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.