Non-english speaking guests

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
GrumpyFan
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Non-english speaking guests

Post by GrumpyFan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 am

This wasn't really a Stupid Guest, more of a Silly Guest encounter.

I was at WDW last week and when we entered the line for TSM, the CM gave me one of those red tags for measuring wait time. A few minutes later the guest behind me who I believe was from Brazil or Spain tapped me on the shoulder an pointed at the badge and gestured in a questioning manner. I tried to explain to him (in English) what it was, but he responded "No engais", so I flipped the card over and noticed it had an explanation in spanish. He read it for a minute, then I guess decided he should have one too. So, he walked over to the CM and tried to get one. The CM told him no, and that he couldn't give him one, but it was kind of a funny if not strange guest encounter.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Non-english speaking guests

Post by darph nader » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

there must have been some subliminal message that only 'he' could read. Maybe a FastPass or something. ;)

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

PhilimusPrime
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by PhilimusPrime » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:36 pm

What's funnier is when there is only one CM in charge of handing out the FLIKs and also collecting them at the turnstyles. I can't tell you the number of times guests have treated it like their own personal FastPass through the standby queue right back to the CM who gave it to them.

Nobleman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Nobleman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:14 pm

GrumpyFan wrote:This wasn't really a Stupid Guest, more of a Silly Guest encounter.

I was at WDW last week and when we entered the line for TSM, the CM gave me one of those red tags for measuring wait time. A few minutes later the guest behind me who I believe was from Brazil or Spain tapped me on the shoulder an pointed at the badge and gestured in a questioning manner. I tried to explain to him (in English) what it was, but he responded "No engais", so I flipped the card over and noticed it had an explanation in spanish. He read it for a minute, then I guess decided he should have one too. So, he walked over to the CM and tried to get one. The CM told him no, and that he couldn't give him one, but it was kind of a funny if not strange guest encounter.
Well, here's the thing, Brazil and Spain have two different languages, so if the instructions were in Spanish, and he only spoke Portuguese... or maybe he was another sort of foreigner that didn't speak English or Spanish.

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 pm

I once got stuck with a FLICK card in a queue for an attraction that went 101, and wandered around outside it for a while trying to find a CM that wasn't too busy with the EVAC to take it back...

8^S

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 am

There are days I see people walking around with those even when they're not in line for an attraction. I'll mention/ask what they have around their neck, and they'll usually respond with "Oh, wait I was supposed to give this to someone!" They then wander around trying to remember what attraction they were at when they got it.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

kcberlin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by kcberlin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 am

I had no idea what they were when I was handed one in February. I am such a cheese ball I actually had my picture taken with it. :p:
[ATTACH]257[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Disney 2010 062.jpg
Disney 2010 062.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 2418 times

The opinions expressed here may not be those of kcberlin. Sometimes I just like to stir shit.:twisted:

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:23 am

kcberlin wrote:I had no idea what they were when I was handed one in February. I am such a cheese ball I actually had my picture taken with it. :p:
[ATTACH]257[/ATTACH]
Cute picture! Hey - it's a unique photo op. Not everyone has a picture of himself with a FLICK. By the way, CMs, what does FLICK stand for? I know its purpose, just not the acronym. Thanks.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 am

Whazzup wrote:Cute picture! Hey - it's a unique photo op. Not everyone has a picture of himself with a FLICK. By the way, CMs, what does FLICK stand for? I know its purpose, just not the acronym. Thanks.
Fantastic Line Information Keeper

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:43 pm

What did you call them before "A Bugs Life"?

8^)