Overheard in AK

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Overheard in AK

Post by turkeyham » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:08 am

I have friends who have never been to WDW and I tell them I will write down good info for them to use.

When we usually go for a stay of 9 days. First and last days are travel.
day 2: AK, 3rd day: Studios, 4th day: MK and 5th day: Epcot. 6 day: IOA,
7th day: SW and 8th day: of we every try to get there Kennedy Space Center. :)

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Teresa Kay wrote:Thought of a new one - about 10 years ago, some friends decided to see why we thought WDW was so special. They wouldn't wait to go with us in January, they insisted they had to go in October, during Fall Break. I gave them many WDW guides and offered to help them with plans. Nope, they were good.
They took their 4 kids, ages 7,9,14, and 16. They stayed in Fort Wilderness Cabins. They hated it.
After talking to them, it was because "There were only the 2 parks, that castle one, and the one with that ride that drops you." The mother spent every day for 5 days getting up, making breakfast for 6 people, and taking the 2 younger kids to MK. The father would head to DHS (MGM then) with the other 2. They would meet back for lunch (made and eaten at the cabin) and then leave for the same parks. They would meet for dinner (at the cabin) and then go to bed. That was it.
I asked them if they went to EPCOT or AK. "WHat are those?" they asked - they had never even looked at the guide books and had no clue there were other parks!
6 less people for me to trip over on my way to EPCOT!
The last thing someone wants to do is spend a bunch of time cooking for the family while on vacation. We stayed at a timeshare near DL earlier this year and my wife said first day she didnt want to cook so we ate out.

Steve

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:01 pm

turkeyham wrote:I have had a few SG in my line say that they were going to Epcot in the evening to have a beer. Folks, you are in Frontierland and you are at Disneyland. If it is 5 pm in California, and Epcot is roughly 2,000 + miles away. You have to catch a plane a few hours back to get to MCO, drive 30 minutes from there to get to Epcot. I think they were a little bit off on their drinks. Unless they were thinking of DCA. :eek:
Maybe they meant Westcot. (Except Disney forgot to build it and we got DCA instead!)

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:27 pm

The original area that they were going to use was a bunch of small islands off of Long Beach. But, there was a problem, those islands are starting to sink and they were not big enough to put a park on one. :eek:

Then there was a rumor that they were going to build a water park, but that did not go as planned. The old strawberry field off of Harbor and next to the Red Lion Inn was built into an even larger parking area for guests.

The shuttle buses that pick up the guests drives through the Katelle Lot which CM's park their cars. That backs up the CM shuttles and makes heavy traffic as well for CM's. :mad:

Philosoraptor
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Philosoraptor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:56 am

turkeyham wrote:When we were out there in Oct 2009, we stayed at the Regal Sun. This was a fun hotel. 2 blocks from DTD. We caught the buses to the parks each day and had a short walk back to our resort.
At least you walked from your hotel to the DTD bus stop. I didn't like the fact people were parking at DTD all day and riding directly to the parks (hence why they stopped doing direct park buses). Kept the parking lot clearer for those actually shopping at DTD.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Hello Philosoraptor, I am the resident dragon and would like to offer you a very warm* welcome to that slice of the internet we call SGT. This website contains threads with quick twists and turns and I would like to advise you to not try to hard to keep up with them. Please keep your hands, arms, and legs safely inside the website at all times and enjoy your stay.

*this instance of warm is actually hot**... very hot

**this instance of hot means that you are now literally on fire, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Hey, Philosoraptor,

:sgthello:

:D: :D: :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Nobleman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Nobleman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 am

ladydiwinter00 wrote:I know this is a few months from a fresh post, but this topic cracks me up and bugs me at the same time.

Hubby and I went in 06 to WDW and Universal and IOA with a few friends and they couldn't keep anything straight. My biggest question is how do you spend that much money on a vacation and not do your homework on what is available for you to get the most out of it? I gave my hubby a crash course before we left for our honeymoon in 01 to make sure he wasn't going to piss me off!
One way is to not spend that much money on a vacation. Some people go on vacation to relax and get away, not plan a mission and go broke.

I know what's available, I know what it costs, that's why I'm not doing it.

Nobleman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Nobleman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:01 am

svickersart wrote:The last thing someone wants to do is spend a bunch of time cooking for the family while on vacation. We stayed at a timeshare near DL earlier this year and my wife said first day she didnt want to cook so we ate out.

Steve
Not everyone. I rather enjoy cooking and share that task with my fiancee. Getting away from my NYC apartment was a vacation in and of itself. Cooking and having a meal in a much nicer apartment was half the fun of going to WDW. We ate in and out, but usually in. We cook better than most restaurants at less cost and less illness. Sorry, but I hate most restaurant and WDW food. Not to say WDW food is disgusting, but lately I just keep getting the shits.

breathless
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by breathless » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:41 am

Nobleman wrote:One way is to not spend that much money on a vacation. Some people go on vacation to relax and get away, not plan a mission and go broke.

I know what's available, I know what it costs, that's why I'm not doing it.
She told me about this one...What they did as a group was plan to go to 4 parks, MK, HS, IOA, and Universal...when they were in the parks the other couple couldn't keep the rides and attractions straight. They planned it so it wasn't super expensive. They even had two days of just chilling on I-Drive.

She's just saying, to get the most out of what you pay for know where your going, what you're doing, and what your options are. That's why a lot of our friends ask us what they should do when they go cause we'll let them know the best bang for their buck.

All I know is my husband swears he will never stay off property again since in reality you don't save money or time or headache by staying at other hotels... But now I'm just rambling :-)

All it takes is faith trust and pixie dust... and Rock n' Roll!!!:jessica: